Filtration

• 11 pounds (ish) live rock
  • 20 pounds TMC fine coral gravel
  • TMC v2 pure 50 RO unit
  • Chaeto floating around

CUC

• 4 small hermits
  • 8 6 turbo snails
  • A few good LOT of good sized bristle worms, feather dusters, hitchhiker style.

Live stock

• 2 true percula clowns
  • 6 colonies of pulsing Xenia
  • Trumpet coral (down to 1 polyp from 14 :( )
  • Duncans coral 8 good size polyps with new "buds" around each head
  • Various mushrooms, reds, greens.
  • frag of button 6 polyps (red)

post-87585-0-10839000-1443305413_thumb.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

I don't understand your question. Is there something you think is wrong?

Interesting sand BTW. What kind is it?

Murphs_Reef

I don't understand your question. Is there something you think is wrong?Interesting sand BTW. What kind is it?

Sorry I wasn't clear, I just don't know to be honest. It seems like just a bunch of rocks thrown into the tank, I have tried a number of variations but can't find something that seems to look JUST if that makes sense?

The sand (at the risk of being shot here) is play sand (silicate free) I have used in all of my freshwater planted tanks, which I do like but is difficult to vac without lifting a ton of it.

Mr. Microscope

Sorry I wasn't clear, I just don't know to be honest. It seems like just a bunch of rocks thrown into the tank, I have tried a number of variations but can't find something that seems to look JUST if that makes sense?

The sand (at the risk of being shot here) is play sand (silicate free) I have used in all of my freshwater planted tanks, which I do like but is difficult to vac without lifting a ton of it.

Oh, I just saw this was in the aquascaping forum. Sorry, I just clicked on it from the main page. Yes, right now it is just a couple piles of rocks, but once you start covering it with corals things will start looking better. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You might want to move the rocks away from the sides (of your tank) to make maintenance easier.

As for the play sand, I hope it works for you. Personally, I wouldn't touch it even if it says silicate free. You might want to siphon it all out and just go out and throw down the $40 on a bag of aragonite based stuff. Or you could just go BB like me, but that definitely takes it up a notch on the aquascaping challenge front.

Murphs_Reef

Ok thanks for that, so are we saying that there very well could be silicates in the sand or is there another reason? Keen to get it right well before live stock enters.

Thanks for taking the time to comment

Mr. Microscope

Ok thanks for that, so are we saying that there very well could be silicates in the sand or is there another reason? Keen to get it right well before live stock enters.

Thanks for taking the time to comment

I have no solid reason other than following the reefing dogma, though there's also no way to really know what's in it. It could contain heavy metals that will effect water chemistry (my guesses would be iron and maybe manganese among others).

Aragonite based sand does have the advantage of helping to stabilize pH and alk to a small extent. So, there's that.

Lol fair dues

That's what the clean up crew is for. Personally, I like the look of sand on the bottom, as it looks more natural. The scape is fine, except to move the rocks away from the side some for maintenance reasons. Everything will look nice once the corals and livestock are added, and the corals grow out.

I like both stacks, but separately. Choose one as the main group and then get rid of the other. Right now it looks like they are conflicting. Look at some freshwater nature aquariums and get some inspiration from them. Those types of tanks follow the golden ratio as a way to scape the tank. The main focal point is 1/3 from the side of the glass. Then the other side is designed to flow away or towards the focal point. If you want a cluttered rocky style, keep the structure on the right. If you want an open sand style, keep the left and get rid of the right. You could place a small amount of rock in the open area just to give some detail and depth.

Murphs_Reef

Yes you are absolutely bang on correct, have aquascaped for years with planted freshwater and god only knows why I have not carried these key principles in to my first saltwater.

I think (and lucky I am still early stages) that a larger main structure sweeping down to a sub structure is key.

Thanks, fir some reason I let the new complications cloud my previous placement practices.... :\

I like both stacks, but separately. Choose one as the main group and then get rid of the other. Right now it looks like they are conflicting. Look at some freshwater nature aquariums and get some inspiration from them. Those types of tanks follow the golden ratio as a way to scape the tank. The main focal point is 1/3 from the side of the glass. Then the other side is designed to flow away or towards the focal point. If you want a cluttered rocky style, keep the structure on the right. If you want an open sand style, keep the left and get rid of the right. You could place a small amount of rock in the open area just to give some detail and depth.

However could the new (white) rock be a distraction as there are 2 very distinct areas? Ie when the white is pulled into the dark will it join the dots up?

I am sorry I have no experience with the sand, however I have to say that these two stacks of rocks do contrast a lot. although I'd either switch out to match or be tempted to try and balance with a series of "ground cover" corals on the dark side and then the open moving larger corals on the other. So I guess I buy you theory, you could work with corals and balance these rocks for something dynamic.

Even so I'd also be tempted to try and feed the light into dark, i.e. put some light into the Right hand side corner, a crossover at the center to a more light layout and then a small amount of dark on the left hand side somewhere, almost to take the eye from one side to the other in the coloration of the rock? if that makes sense. (I'll apologies before you try to burn your brain figuring anything I have written out this makes sense to my brain after a drink)

Murphs_Reef

I am sorry I have no experience with the sand, however I have to say that these two stacks of rocks do contrast a lot. although I'd either switch out to match or be tempted to try and balance with a series of "ground cover" corals on the dark side and then the open moving larger corals on the other. So I guess I buy you theory, you could work with corals and balance these rocks for something dynamic.

Even so I'd also be tempted to try and feed the light into dark, i.e. put some light into the Right hand side corner, a crossover at the center to a more light layout and then a small amount of dark on the left hand side somewhere, almost to take the eye from one side to the other in the coloration of the rock? if that makes sense. (I'll apologies before you try to burn your brain figuring anything I have written out this makes sense to my brain after a drink)

Yeah indeed I get this, what I am "kinda" hoping is not to mess too much and for the light to become dark with algae etc which may soften it up. But correctly 2 strong structures may well be too much for a nano? Possibly (and I have been looking from left and right panes) a single semi circle pushing both structures together perhaps??

Look forward to your view

Chris

Yes you are absolutely bang on correct, have aquascaped for years with planted freshwater and god only knows why I have not carried these key principles in to my first saltwater.

I think (and lucky I am still early stages) that a larger main structure sweeping down to a sub structure is key.

Thanks, fir some reason I let the new complications cloud my previous placement practices.... :\

However could the new (white) rock be a distraction as there are 2 very distinct areas? Ie when the white is pulled into the dark will it join the dots up?

I don't think the white color will be a problem in the long term. That's one thing about saltwater tanks, the color of the rocks change dramatically over time. So, I'd go about scaping based on shape, not color. Color will work itself out in a couple months.

Hmm actually been thinking about this and one thing that is great about the nano tanks is the self expression and perhaps sometimes pushing a boundary will result in a great looking tank :D

Must agree that the rocks will change as time goes on, I have a rather rock that obviously started out life as a very pale rock, it is supporting a dark purple branch type rock in my tank, they are pretty similar in colour now. So the rocks do balance out.

It'll be good to see how this tank progresses

Murphs_Reef

As a form of update, I have moved some of the smaller rock around in order to join the 2 structures up and tie things together a little

I do now not only have to buy aquarium products but now a good camera too! Where did that requirement come from lol...

post-87585-0-57219100-1430119687_thumb.jpg

Cencalfishguy56

As a form of update, I have moved some of the smaller rock around in order to join the 2 structures up and tie things together a little

I do now not only have to buy aquarium products but now a good camera too! Where did that requirement come from lol...

I actually like the rockscape haha make a ricordia garden or zoa garden on the left and have some lps or bigger leathers on the right rock IMO

I like the idea of connecting the two stacks to give it a little more depth but I've gotta take the side of most everyone else and say that id ditch the play sand and go with something aragonite based.

Murphs_Reef

I like the idea of connecting the two stacks to give it a little more depth but I've gotta take the side of most everyone else and say that id ditch the play sand and go with something aragonite based.

Ok it's a done deal then... So the question is... And as I'm still not happy with the scape, do I break it all down, take the inverts back to the store and re do or try and creep around it? Knowing 2 months ago what I do now..... Argh!

Cencalfishguy56

Ok it's a done deal then... So the question is... And as I'm still not happy with the scape, do I break it all down, take the inverts back to the store and re do or try and creep around it? Knowing 2 months ago what I do now..... Argh!

It would be a pain in the ass not to smash someone lol I always used to get frustrated with the hermits but up to you you could also take a little tank water and put them in a container till you're done?

I like the scape how you have it now but maybe try getting some smaller rocks and slope them down towards the front of the tank. id probably just take some tank water and then quickly change out the sand. Should be fine

Archived