SaltCritters.com

A Danish pico

Anden

Hello!! I just bought one of the tanks with the plan to make a pico reef. : ) Could you tell me what modifications you made to the basic stuff from the box???

• Like 1

Hello!! I just bought one of the tanks with the plan to make a pico reef. : ) Could you tell me what modifications you made to the basic stuff from the box???

I got a new pump cuz the original was no good and the light faded in a half year so i had to replace that to but i still have no skimmer and i only clean the big sponge at chrismas so i do my Weekly waterchange and never change less then 25% sometimes i do a 100% waterchange but then i use water from another reef.

• Like 1

I got a new pump cuz the original was no good and the light faded in a half year so i had to replace that to but i still have no skimmer and i only clean the big sponge at chrismas so i do my Weekly waterchange and never change less then 25% sometimes i do a 100% waterchange but then i use water from another reef.

Thanks for the info!! : ) May I ask what sort of filter you replaced it with?? I'd be super interesting in ordering the same one, I've noticed already the flow is pretty weak. By the big sponge, do you mean the big one at the bottom of the Sponge-Carbon-Media-Sponge stack?

Edit: Also, what sort of heater are you using? I've been having trouble navigating brands here... everyone recommends stuff thats not available in europe : ( Also tricky to find something that fits in the small back compartment of these tanks and is reliable!

• Like 1
chipmunkofdoom2

These are some great tanks. I thought I had an idea of the size of your tanks from your first picture, but the photo with your hand in front of the tank really shows how small they are.

Great job.

• Like 2

I use no heater and only the original sponge "filter" and the pump i got i all my small iq tanks is a Aquael Fan Filter and i think it is the smalest one and i just removed the bottom and only use the pump.

I have the iq5 tank to and in that one the Aquael Fan Filter mini is a little small but still ok.

I use no heater and only the original sponge "filter" and the pump i got i all my small iq tanks is a Aquael Fan Filter and i think it is the smalest one and i just removed the bottom and only use the pump.

I have the iq5 tank to and in that one the Aquael Fan Filter mini is a little small but still ok.

Ahh, you removed the bottom, thats clever. All the stronger pumps ive seen I've been like, yeah but...

Can I ask why you dont use a heater?

I dont need a heater cus my tank stands right next to/on top off heater/radiator. But if i needed one i think i get aquasyncro 15watt cus it is so flat.

image.jpg2_zpskojsqspn.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsrbsjoida.jpg

• Like 1

Oh i allmost forgot i just got a dead king midas chalice from my LFS, yes i know wow a dead chalice but it had a live baby chalice on the side of the rock/dead chalice and i Cut'n'clue an now i have the smallest chalice frag in my pico.

78f233f4-9a1e-4271-97d1-a1f972d291c6_zps image.jpg2_zpsuawtdgxg.jpg image.jpg3_zpsegprtsnh.jpg image.jpg4_zpsyap7cmw1.jpg image.jpg5_zpshgulqidq.jpg image.jpg6_zps1qnj9eyf.jpg image.jpg1_zpsanqe8po2.jpg

• Like 4

I finaly gave up controling/fighting the alge and got a tiny long spined urchin , im on vacation 7days and when i get back the alge will be gone i think.

All is doing good in the tank.

No im not it has to many alge to eat so it will not have the time to do anything else and that kind of urchin grows so fast so it cant be in the pico more then 2 weeks and then i have to move it to the big tank i have.

I look for a vary small one(a baby) for half the year and i finaly found one so i take the chance.

• 2 weeks later...

I tryed to use a Moon snail to help eat the alge but i did not know that the Moon snails are a turbo snail so now all my corals are on the bottom and i have to glue em all back in place so please cross your fingers and hope that i dont glue my self to the tank and or break the corals.

More later.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Alge gone and some corals moved out and new frag's moved in i glued a tiny single polyp favia or favites in but it to small too get a good look at.

image.jpg1_zpsytbajxmo.jpg

image.jpg2_zpspbazhwgx.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsoem7nqv4.jpg

image.jpg1_zpscpbpxglz.jpg

• Like 2

Cuc is now only one Halloween hermit and one big thorny snail and the small hitchikkers, all other snails and the urchen have moved on too new Jobs in bigger tanks.

• 2 weeks later...