inTank Media Baskets

good lens for nikkon d5100

tbunnelldo

Buy used and look for a prime or 1:1 lens, not a zoom. I have a Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM Macro Lens. The one without image stabilization denoted with an "OS" in the name. You can get them used for about $450, which is a bargain. Glass ain't cheap. They have a 105mm version for less cash that is great too. Get some extensions or a teleconverter and it will be all the lens you would need. One big plus is that the lens does not move when you focus so you can put it right on the glass of the tank. Also, remember that glass lasts. You will be able to hand it down to grandkids if you are so inclined.

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/180

will try to do. i am by no way a professional photographer or writer. any tips on photographing corals are greatly appreciated. my current lens can't quite get the closeness i want due to not enough light or magnification.

We're not expecting pro pictures, or even a detailed write up. But it'd be nice to hear your thoughts and see a couple of samples. We might even be able to help you based on how they turn out. Knowing your camera settings helps (I assume you won't be using Auto mode).

You'll want to use an aperture of at least f/8. Larger stops (smaller number) will create an extremely narrow range of focus. Play with it a little. Sometimes it's nice to have the background out of focus; other times, it's more appealing to have everything in focus.

Darwin at legendary corals sent me a link for a snap on macro lens for 80 bucks...he said they use it at their facility and I'm sure you have seen the pics they put up.

EDIT: just read the last post...haha a little late to the party sorry!

Archived