Top Shelf Aquatics

There's "fog" in my refugium! ('o' )

Anime Gee

It's the wierdest thing ever. There is fog in my refugium. It's all crystal clear above the "fog", but it's quite murkey below the "fog" line. I don't think I've ever seen this before.

Must be a marine layer coming in. :P

post-16805-0-12528300-1429677144_thumb.jpg

post-16805-0-96537200-1429677174_thumb.jpg

Hydrogen sulfide? It looks really gunked up on the bottom in there, could it be outgassing? Maybe a bacterial bloom?

Whatever it is, seems like flow is a little weak in that area...

I'll get a tube & pump some water through there today. I'll turn on the skimmer too. I'm just hoping it's not toxic.

Jellyingabout

Its defiantly a bacterial bloom. Something or a lot of things are dead in that media and are feeding all that "fog" :)

I'd be careful not to knock that up too much. turn off the pumps and get that media replaced, then do a water change on the fuge. Put an airstone in it for a couple of hours before letting it pump back into the display tank. Hydrogen sulphide is a strong reducer, you want to oxidise it and all the other reduced species of chemicals that are going to be in that media.

Well, I pumped water through the fuge. It did smell like sulphur. I had the skimmer going & washed off the filter floss. The tank has a powerhead, so I wasn't too worried. Everything looks fine & the smell went away.

I'm going to replace some of the water this weekend.

post-16805-0-74891800-1429850800_thumb.jpg

post-16805-0-71100800-1429850810_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I would remove everything out of there except the macro. Especially if you are smelling sulfur. Looks like a disaster waiting to happen to me. Tick, tick, tick...

Is that some sort of miracle mud in there or something?

Is that some sort of miracle mud in there or something?

http://live-plants.com/refugiumpack.htm

^ I ordered that for the fuge. Plants & live sand. There are worms & junk living in the sand. My guess that it's all supposed to be good stuff?

I'll keep pumping water in there occasionally throughout the month & do a few more water changes to take care of whatever sulfur is left. All my corals are doing fine for now.

http://live-plants.com/refugiumpack.htm

^ I ordered that for the fuge. Plants & live sand. There are worms & junk living in the sand. My guess that it's all supposed to be good stuff?

Well, you might want to rethink that given your current issue!

I'll keep pumping water in there occasionally throughout the month & do a few more water changes to take care of whatever sulfur is left. All my corals are doing fine for now.

It won't solve your issue though. If in fact you have a hydrogen sulfide issue, you need to clean everything out of there. Can you see dark black/grey areas in the mud? If so, it could be metal sulfide deposits (probably from iron).

Archived