Top Shelf Aquatics

1.6 gallon AIO pico build (Now with a blenny!)

NinjaReefer

NinjaReefer

Hey everybody. I made a few changes to the tank. I replaced the led light with a 10 watt screw in power compact. I also took the hermit crab back to the store because he kept knocking over corals and rocks. I lost my first duncan when it landed on the candy cane coral. Then a yuma stung my candy cane and killed half its head. I also got a zoa frag with spiders and zoa pox. They died and the pox spread to my hitchhicker zoas too. : (. No zoas for a wile.

I got a new duncan, and some yumas and also some macro algae for nutrient export.

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool! Although I think you might regret the Kenya Tree and that particular type of Yuma. Be careful it will become a Kenya, Yuma tank in no time. Purple green Yumas have taken over my tank I need to thin them out as they have killed a few acans and some pricey zoas. Following this as I am tempted to make one for the office.

NinjaReefer

Very cool! Although I think you might regret the Kenya Tree and that particular type of Yuma. Be careful it will become a Kenya, Yuma tank in no time. Purple green Yumas have taken over my tank I need to thin them out as they have killed a few acans and some pricey zoas. Following this as I am tempted to make one for the office.

I was thinking about just putting in the most prolific corals I can find and letting them battle it out like nature intented. I might add some xenia and majonos to the mix. lol

I was thinking about just putting in the most prolific corals I can find and letting them battle it out like nature intented. I might add some xenia and majonos to the mix. lol

Spoiler alert:

the ugliest things usually win

NinjaReefer

Nice pico, you're brave! :)

Nice PicO! Live the Duncan

Thanks guys.

Nice. I'm planning a 3 gal pico and will be following your progress.

Sweet. Post a thread for it when you get it started.

I am probably going to add some zoas and maybe some other corals and then just let it grow in. I am running out of room fast though.

I think am still dealing with a little bit of dieoff from the rock. Different algaes are blooming in waves. Cyno, Diatomes, and then hair algea. The diatomes and cyno are totally gone now, and the hair algea seemed to peak and is receding.

Once I get that under control and I have things stable I will look into adding a fish or 2. Very few fish are suitable for such a tiny tank. It will have to be under an inch long full grown and be a percher not a swimmer. Some kind of Trimma or Evoita goby most likely. If I cant find a pair I will do 1. If I am lucky I can find them local.

I was also checking out this guy on live aquaria. I hate to pay the shipping for 1 fish though.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+1727&pcatid=1727

• 2 weeks later...
NinjaReefer

Hey everybody. Big changes. My Green star polyps have been getting crazy and started stinging my duncans. I had to move things around. I remembered some good advice I once got...

the ugliest things usually win

So I have constucted a coral wall of the ugliest corals I could find. We will see if this can hold them back.

I also never got the rubble bottom to look how I wanted so I added some sand and took out a lot of rock for a more open look. : ) I think it looks a lot better. I will put up pics later

It will be a battle between the yumas and brown palys. thats my bet and I am sticking to it. The GSP may hold their ground but the Yumas will steal the light from them. I want to see this tank in 6 months.

NinjaReefer

It will be a battle between the yumas and brown palys. thats my bet and I am sticking to it. The GSP may hold their ground but the Yumas will steal the light from them. I want to see this tank in 6 months.

I thought the duncans would hold off the star polyps but that didnt work and I had to rethink my plan. hehe

The yumas are holding them back on that one side so thats good. I have to wait and see what happens blue star vs green star. lol

I think im going to have to thin out the brown palys. I got 2 kinds. They where freebies, but they are kinda ugly and I have to many brownish corals on the bottom left side. Its kinda hard to tell but I have a Xenia behind the Kenya tree. So the whole side is kinda a bland pinkish brown. I may trade something back to the store and get something that stands out more...

NinjaReefer

On my way home from work today I picked up a small coral banded shrimp. I was having bad luck finding any tiny gobies and I needed some movement besides the hitchhicker snails. This is Stenopus Cyanoscelis, one of the smaller species of boxing shrimp. They are supposed to stay under 1.5 inches. This is my first time keeping one. Any advice is welcome.

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

NinjaReefer

The shrimp seems to be doing well. I named him Pinchy. He has been eating and checking out his new home and last night he molted. I noticed after the molt his eyes are more clear and now he sees me and reacts to me as I walk past the tank.

I forgot to show you this little mushroom frag I found in the 5 dollar section. I thought it looked interesting. Its kinda hard to tell from my crappy pic but it has an electric blue rim and and purple/blue bumps on it with a neon green mouth. I have never seen one like it. I hope it colors up nice.

IMG_0132.jpg

NinjaReefer

Neat little tank! :)

Thank you :lol:

Very cool tank I like your scape! :D I need to get a Duncan.

Thanks. Duncans are great. One of my favorite corals and makes a good focal point in this tiny tank.

Nice tank! The AIO filter setup is pretty sweet. I'm in love with your mushroom Frag! The color is nice

Thank you. I am a little worried about the mushroom. Its really small and looks kinda bleached and shrunken, like maybe it was exposed to to much light. I put it down low in a nice shady low flow spot. Lets hope it makes it.

NinjaReefer

Your aio is really well done and very clean,I wish I would've waited and ordered black acrylic,really looks great.

Thank you very much. :D

The shrimp seems to be doing well. I named him Pinchy. He has been eating and checking out his new home and last night he molted. I noticed after the molt his eyes are more clear and now he sees me and reacts to me as I walk past the tank.

I forgot to show you this little mushroom frag I found in the 5 dollar section. I thought it looked interesting. Its kinda hard to tell from my crappy pic but it has an electric blue rim and and purple/blue bumps on it with a neon green mouth. I have never seen one like it. I hope it colors up nice.

IMG_0132.jpg

nice $5 shroom. If it keeps getting bumpy you might have something there.

Archived