Pod Your Reef

1.6 gallon AIO pico build (Now with a blenny!)

NinjaReefer

NinjaReefer

nice $5 shroom. If it keeps getting bumpy you might have something there.

Yeah, I hope it gets more bumps. lol

I shuffled around a few corals to put them all in spots they like and moved the front rock out a quarter inch to keep the green stars from stinging my beloved duncan. I think its finally good for a wile and I can stop tinkering.

IMG_0157.jpg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chemikalzsky

Thank you. I am a little worried about the mushroom. Its really small and looks kinda bleached and shrunken, like maybe it was exposed to to much light. I put it down low in a nice shady low flow spot. Lets hope it makes it.

I got my fingers crossed for ya!
NinjaReefer

I was messing around with my phone camera trying to get it so the sand isnt washed out in all the pictures. I took a bunch of pics so I figured I would share.

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

The never before seen left side of the tank. Because of where the tank is this is the side nobody sees.

IMG_0171.jpg

This is the candy cane that got stung by the recordia. Almost fully recovered. The head on the left used to have exposed skeleton on one side. I was surprised to see the flesh regrew.

IMG_0177.jpg

The little mussle hitchhickers is still alive and filtering the water and u can see the duncan sprouting new heads underneath.

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

that little mushrooms is hanging in there. no worries.

IMG_0195.jpg

oh hey Pinchy

IMG_0201.jpg

Pinchy, what are you doing?! Noooooo!!!!

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

My wall of baby yumas and mushrooms will stop the evil green stars.

IMG_0227.jpg

Pinchy dances on a coral

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

NinjaReefer

Looking great! :). Do you plan on adding anything else?

Thanks. I dont really have any plans for it. I may add a few zoas, but probably nothing major. Down the road I may trade the shrimp for a goby if I can find the right species. I think it would be more interesting to watch. Mostly I just want to watch the corals fill in and the rocks purple up. Its slowly getting there.

In the distant future when the green stars cant be contained I may trade out the whole front rock they are on for something else.

Love the gold coral banded :)

Is it just the size of the tank or are those duncans HUGE??
Also, what's the coral above the duncans?

NinjaReefer

haha thanks. No they are normal size, just a tiny tank. The display portion is 6"x6"x8". I have no idea what those "blue star polyp" things are. Maybe somebody will chime in. The spead over the rock like green stars but there is not a thick mat. They connect and spread more like zoas do. I will try to get a closeup of them later for a better ID.

This is what I want to set up as a second tank / quarantine tank. Where did you purchase the tank?

The tank is just a 1.6 gallon glass betta tank. Picked it up at Tongs in Fountain Valley CA and built the back chambers out of spare parts I had.

NinjaReefer

You got me wondering what that coral is called. I did some searching. Im pretty sure its a blue anthelia.

• 3 weeks later...
NinjaReefer

Since adding the shrimp I have been feeding the tank every day and I have noticed a burst of growth from pretty much everything from coraline to hair algae to the corals. I have a tiny tuff of hair algae on the very top of my rock. I put a piece of cheeto on top of it to shade it out. My wall of mushrooms and rics that were going to contain the green stars got over run. I ended up breaking up the rock and the green stars now sit alone on the sandbed. The blue anthelia spread onto the back wall and the new heads on the duncan are growing up. Thats about it. Anyways here are some pictures of the new scape. Notice how the coraline on the back wall has taken off all of the sudden in the last week or 2.

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

NinjaReefer

Thanks! On lazy days I feed him New Life pellets, but he gets thawed out seafood like a sliver of shrimp or scallop a couple times a week.

No dosing. The funny thing is I have never tested anything in this tank other than salinity. If something looks "off" I can do a 50% or larger water change faster than I can do a test : ). I normally do a 50% water change about once or twice a week.

Thanks Yoshi, He also steals all the corals food. lol

I have to bribe him with a huge chunck of scallop so he will let me feed the duncans.

Loving this build. You have managed to cram all the shitty cheap coral in a tiny space. I so want to see what happens in 6 months to a year. Now that your feeding whats your water change schedule? How much evap are you getting daily?

NinjaReefer

Loving this build. You have managed to cram all the shitty cheap coral in a tiny space. I so want to see what happens in 6 months to a year. Now that your feeding whats your water change schedule? How much evap are you getting daily?

Im not sure if that is a compliment or an insult. lol

I change the water about once a week. Sometimes if I feed heavily I will change it twice in a week. Sometimes I get busy and let it go 2 weeks.

I do topoff by hand twice a day when i turn the lights on and off. It loses about a half a cup to 2 cups per day. It depends how high the fan is turned up.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news everyone, My mushroom has bumps!

Here it is when I first got it. It was tiny and bleached looking.

IMG_0132.jpg

now a couple months later it is still tiny and bleached looking, but now it has more blue bumps. Some day it may actually look nice.

IMG_0365.jpg

its still just about the size of a peny

IMG_0363.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

NijaReefer,

Where did you get such a small glass tank from? Smallest I see available is generally 2.5 gallons 12 X 6 X 8.

Your's looks shorter in length.

Radian

Bad news everybody. Because I never learn from my mistakes I didnt glue down my xenia frag and it somehow fell into my patch of ricordia. By the time I noticed it was totally disintigrated and the water was cloudy and everything looked pretty upset. I did a couple big water changes and things are doing better. The candy cane coral receded a little bit but everything else looks fine now. Rookie move. : (

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I will try to get some new pictures up in the next couple days.

NijaReefer,

Where did you get such a small glass tank from? Smallest I see available is generally 2.5 gallons 12 X 6 X 8.

Your's looks shorter in length.

Radian

yep its just like a 2.5 but a little bit shorter. I calculated it out to be about 1.6 gallons. It is marketed as a beta tank and came with a glass divider. I got it at a fish store here in CA. (Tongs in Fountain Valley) Next time I am there I will try to find the brand name.

Nice little tank. Watch out for that macro algae, I had that in my tank and it looked great when it was only on one rock. It quickly took over the tank and its a bitch to remove!

Nice little tank. Watch out for that macro algae, I had that in my tank and it looked great when it was only on one rock. It quickly took over the tank and its a bitch to remove!

Thanks, I am finding that out the hard way. I have been taking it out with tweezers every couple weeks. Its growing like crazy, but at least its soaking up nutrients.

Archived