inTank Media Baskets

Do i need to start dosing? (Updated info 4/22)

aviator300

I only started reefing about 14 months ago and still consider myself a "somewhat experienced Newbie" I've had the same rock and corals in several different tanks since i started (upgrading you know) but use the same salt (RSCP) and maintain the same water change routine.

I always test my parameters before every weekly water change and the following have been consistant.

PH 7.8

spgr 1.025

DKH 10+

CA 440 to 480

Mg 1380s

I tested today before my water change and got the following for DKH, Ca, Mg

DKH 8

Ca 390

Mg 1240

I have a mixed reef with Zoos, Palys, Softies, LPS, and some SPS (birdsnest and montipora)

All the time i've had this setup the corals have grown very slowly but since i put a better light over the tank about a month ago, everything has taken off with growth (Zoa colonies have doubled in size and Birdsnest is also going crazy.

I know my parameters aren't that bad but do you think the increased coral growth is using ALK, Ca, and Mg much faster now? Should i start two part dosing and what is everyone's choice of supplement? Thanks very much for any suggestions you could give me.

Mike Savage

It is real likely that you do need to start dosing. In my Cadlights 8 I have to dose 1.5ml/day to keep up and I have less stony corals than you do.

It is real likely that you do need to start dosing. In my Cadlights 8 I have to dose 1.5ml/day to keep up and I have less stony corals than you do.

I guess you're right. I've just been cruising along, week to week and month to month with everything the same. I often wondered when my corals would start growing and filling out. Like now.

I guess the days of purchasing a test kit every year are long gone. I use Salifert for Ca and Mg and API for DKH. I guess i'd better figure out a testing schedule to see how much the tank is eating its Ca, Mg, DKH and start dosing.

On a side note, I'm about to upgrade the tank from a Mr Aqua 7.5 Bowfront to a Mr Aqua 13.3 Bowfront. I'll be using all the same equipt and scape (just remove everything and plop it down into the new tank).

Mike Savage

Good luck with the upgrade! I'm upgrading too from a Cadlights 8 to a Fusion 10. I wear bifocals and am a photographer neither of those get along with curved glass.

Your dKH level is fine IMO. Mine hovers around 7-8 and my SPS are fine. When I used to run it in the 9-10 range stuff just wasn't right. You could maybe get your calc to 400 but unless you are getting a huge drop to 350 by the time water change comes around I wouldn't worry about it. The second set of readings closely resemble the chemistry of NSW which some people (including myself) prefer. Some like the highly raised levels salts like Red Sea Pro put out.

What I would do is first off make sure your tests are accurate. Then test every day for a week at the same time each day to get an idea of how much dKH, Ca, and Mg your tank is using up. From there you can figure out a dosing routine. It's better to dose small amounts throughout the day rather than the sum at once. Although this does depends on the amount of dosing needed. BRS sells a cheap 2 part mix that I've been using with success. Hope this helps

I'm going to do as advised and test weekly at the same time. I trust my test kits and have checked their results with another kit.

I like to buy local and want to choose between "ESV Bionic 2 part" and "Kent part A+B"

Any thoughts on these 2?

I'm going to do as advised and test weekly at the same time. I trust my test kits and have checked their results with another kit.

I like to buy local and want to choose between "ESV Bionic 2 part" and "Kent part A+B"

Any thoughts on these 2?

Just keep in mind not every new batch of salt is the same, from what you stated you got a glimpse of how much your tank is "possibly" using in a week and take note of the "possibly" If you are a bit hesitant I personally would 2 more weeks of what you just did meaning "Test the day after the water change, then the day before the water change" If 2 weeks prove to be consistent results you will "Positively" know "Exactly" what your tank is consuming giving you a better measurement of exactly how much you will need to start dosing.

Archived