Cultivated Reef

Firefish Laceration/Possible disease ID

ml86743

17028101830_26d9675ca5_o.jpgIMG_0425 by tduplaga12, on Flickr

Its a very small circular laceration on her right side...Other than that I haven't noticed any different behavior from her. I think it may have been the stupid emerald crab but as far as my experience goes I haven't dealt with any form of disease with my fish, in that aspect I am quite uneducated.

Thanks for the help.

Could it be coral stings? is the spot spreading? Getting bigger?

That may be a possibility. When she hides she stays very close to the elegance..But I just noticed the spot today. Underneath that spot her side looks a little sunken in. Im gonna see if I can catch her and ill put her in the 10 gallon so shes not around all the other fish...It literally looks like something nipped a piece of flesh from her side.

That's pretty weird, keep close tabs on the fish and I'd move the elegance coral if I were you.

I know! It was out of nowhere too! Id be a little more concerned if she was behaving differently but I have noticed a change in that aspect...Ive seen ther other fish chase her from time to time but never nip at her.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently noticed a similar lesion on one of my Neon gobys.

It turns out it decided to explore one of the Hydor power heads. There are four powerheads and I saw one of the Neon mated pair in and out of only one of the PHs. I noticed that that PH did not pump water so I took it apart. I found that the impeler had been knocked off the spindle. I then noticed that one of the Neons had the injury just on one side. I assume that during the brief off cycle he went in and got whacked when it came on again.

It took about 10 days to heal.

Hopefully, yours is a scrape and not disease. Good luck!

I recently noticed a similar lesion on one of my Neon gobys.

It turns out it decided to explore one of the Hydor power heads. There are four powerheads and I saw one of the Neon mated pair in and out of only one of the PHs. I noticed that that PH did not pump water so I took it apart. I found that the impeler had been knocked off the spindle. I then noticed that one of the Neons had the injury just on one side. I assume that during the brief off cycle he went in and got whacked when it came on again.

It took about 10 days to heal.

Hopefully, yours is a scrape and not disease. Good luck!

That's really interesting! I do turn off my pumps sometimes when I feed..I really appreciate the input though! She looks better each day though..so Im hoping its just a scrape!

Cencalfishguy56

That's really interesting! I do turn off my pumps sometimes when I feed..I really appreciate the input though! She looks better each day though..so Im hoping its just a scrape!

Mine had the samething guess was my frogspawn when I had it, healed in about a week

Mine had the samething guess was my frogspawn when I had it, healed in about a week.

She's healing up nice and starting to come out again!

Archived