Pod Your Reef

Tailspot Blenny gone?

Galli

So I got a tailspot about a few weeks ago to help out with some hair algae in my Spec V, and all was good. Then I decided to introduce a few more fish to the existing line up as my 20L is nearing the end of it's cycle.

So now the stocking list is;

(please don't yell at me, I know it's a few fish.)

1 Ocellaris Clown

1 Orange Spotted Watchmen Goby

1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp

1 Blood Fire Shrimp

1 Tailspot Blenny

1 Mandarin Dragonet (eats frozen, and a temporary setup)

Then today I noticed that the tailspot has gone missing entirely, I checked my overflow and the actual filter pump and nothing. I think the pistol might have got him in the night or he's just really good at hiding.

Maybe the dragonet spooked him?

Any helpful input or advice would help. If he doesn't show up in a few days I'm just going to give up the search for him and wait until the 20L is up before getting another.

It sounds like you cycled the tank with him in there? If so, ammonia poisoning.

Otherwise adding too many fish to a 5g, possibly way too fast, which could also cause an ammonia spike killing fish or making them ill. You can't find him because CUC/bristle worms would have cleaned him up in a matter of hours.

A tank has to re-adjust each time you add a fish, just because it is finished cycled, does not mean it can handle many new additions at once.

Best thing in this hobby is to go very slowly. Bad things happen fast.

And yes, 5 fish with those bioloads in a Spec V is ridiculous. I suggest starting to set up the 20g literally right now.

I would also test the water for nitrate/nitrite/ammonia.

Let me reword things a bit;

The 5 gallon has been up and established since January. The 20L is nearing the end of it's cycle.

I found my blenny underneath my bed and I found my blood shrimp dead today. I believe it's the pistol, because where the shrimp usually hangs out has been excavated. The same with the seashells the blenny used to hide in. The pistol has been moving them around and I believe that's what caused it to jump.

I would never cycle a tank with fish, because that's just cruel.

Loved your dragonet build, btw!

Polarcollision

Just wanted to add that it may not be the pistol. My TSB lives 2" above the pistol's den opening and there's no problems at all. Of course the tank is overfed so no one goes hungry.

Archived