Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clams - which vareity and reliable information sources

Sunstar

I saw some tiny maxima clams at the local reef shop. I was wanting to get more information on them.

First of all, I want to know the ease of care - which sites give the most detailed/accurate information.

There are also crocea clams, I am interested in - but I want to know the same info.

Any sort of testimonials, What to do, what not to do, pest or diseases.

In general information for me to decide if I should or should not.

Jellyingabout

Crocea:

-Naturally an intertidal and subtidal species.

-Most light demanding of the clams, but if you can get the lights right they are otherwise quite a hardy clam.

-Will grow to around 6" smallest of the clams.

-Benefit from being on the rock, on the sand bed they are prone to bristle worms and other health problems due to their large byssus opening.

Maxima:

-Typically subtidal but can be found in the intertidal

-Less hardy but more about their aquaculture is wide spread knowledge so typically do well since there is lots of support out their on them.

-Can reach over a foot in the wild but don't really get bigger than 9" in captivity.

-Not so crucial to being on the rock but still benefit from it.

Diseases:

-Look out for pinched mantle, a very common disease in clams, the mantle pinches in in areas and leads to the clam gaping and withdrawing if not treated.

-Pyramid snails are also very common particularly in aquacultured clams or from large dealers, they feed on juces from the clams mantle. Make sure to dip the clam before putting it in your tank and give the shell a rub down with a tooth brush. They can also host turbo snails so look out for them crawling up the clams shell to the mantle at night.

Must do:

-Burp the clam when you get it by rotating it many times in all directions this helps the clam expel air, normally they can do this on their own but after a long journey the stress of it can hinder them from burping themselves.

-Photo acclimate a clam as you would a large coral.

-Give the clam a good perch to rest on that it can lay down byssus thread onto, once the clam has settled move it with the rock together holding onto the rock as the clams foot is delicate and if damaged usually results in death.

Small clams:

-Very low survival rate in most tanks.

-they are sensitive to high light as the mantle is very thin, they need to be photo acclimated very slowly and dislike high UV lights.

-Must be fed with phyto as they are more dependent on food than larger clams.

Do not:

-Pick a clam up by its shell when its attached to a rock.

-keep a clam on the sand bed without something to cover its byssal opening like a piece of putty

-restrict a clam from opening all the way

-keep a clam with a hungry hungry wrasse that will peck the poor thing to death, like my corris wrasse did with my first clam.

Had my maxima for just over 18 months. Tank was just over a year when I added it and have had no problems. Have found it upside down in the sand a couple of times but now firmly attached and going strong. Tank crash and dino outbreak (now gone) have not phased it. Was about 3" when I bought it, and from what I've read, wouldn't get one much smaller. Personally prefer the look of maxima over crocea

Chexk out the clam registry, lots of info there, my little maxima is over a year old still kicking, be carful, clams are addictive

The bigger the clam you start out with the higher possibility of it surviving. If at all possible try to get a clam that is 4" or bigger when you are first starting out. Once they get big clams are super hardy and something that can take out an entire tank might not even phase the clam.

I really want one of those little ones, but for the time being I will sit on it and think about it. ALl the while letting the tanks continue to mature - although theoretically my 10 gallon has been running for about 6 years - I recently took out all teh sand and rock to replace the box.

All my maximas have been bought while small 1-2 inches. Never had an issue, I currently have 4 clams all my maximas are under 3 inches, my derasa is 3-4 inches. The biggest thing is getting a healthy clam, also clams prefer water thats a littlw dirtier than most. My tanks has many pineapple and filter feeders. Buy from a reputable source, and ask where the clam is from, use the shadow test, chexk the byssle area.

I find the cloud cover option on my bluefish mini helping some. I have it set to randomly do a cloud so the tank will dim for a bit and my clam will react to it. She has started opening a lot wider since I turned it on. Maybe clams like a break in intensity vs being blasted for hours on end with same amount of light.

I find the cloud cover option on my bluefish mini helping some. I have it set to randomly do a cloud so the tank will dim for a bit and my clam will react to it. She has started opening a lot wider since I turned it on. Maybe clams like a break in intensity vs being blasted for hours on end with same amount of light.

from what i know, the clam thinks that something is moving over it, so it closes to protect itself, and the opening more maybe it needs more light

All my maximas have been bought while small 1-2 inches. Never had an issue, I currently have 4 clams all my maximas are under 3 inches, my derasa is 3-4 inches. The biggest thing is getting a healthy clam, also clams prefer water thats a littlw dirtier than most. My tanks has many pineapple and filter feeders. Buy from a reputable source, and ask where the clam is from, use the shadow test, chexk the byssle area.

explain shadow test. And Pineapple?

Also, yeah my pico - which I'd like it in for a while isn't dirty enough. the 10 IS. However I am more than willing ot wait until I learn more about the subject.

Also, yeah my pico - which I'd like it in for a while isn't dirty enough. the 10 IS. However I am more than willing ot wait until I learn more about the subject.

Shadow test is basically putting your hand over the light to cast a shadow above the clam. The clam will think something is above it and close up a bit. If your clam doesn't react when you do this then there is something wrong.

the clams react to changes in light, put your hand over the clam casting a shadow. the clam should pull 30-60% closed. then pretty quickly return to normal. if its starving it wont react fast or recover fast. plus if the clam has pinched mantle it will curl its mantle up rather than in. and its a small sponge that looks like a white pineapple.

Okay, I was there last week, checking the clams out and woot, they reacted almost to my presence in the area. Very rapid, and very nice looking clams. SO incredibly tempting.

Haha yeah clams are addicting. I'm going to go clam crazy this year at RAP California. Will be stocking my new 70g Artisan with at least 3 large Maxima and 3 Derasa with at least 1 Crocea.

Currently resisting for a few reasons.

A. Between Jobs: Big reason, I spent way too much at the reef shop as it was.

B. Wish to learn more about the subject.

C. Quarentine/frag/ other display tank not ready.

D. Spouse may or may not be prone to murder.

E. Bunch of transformers coming in this week from the USA - Going to see what the chances are of surviving that.

F. Trying to decide if I want the 10 gallon as an anemone tank or what.

What are derasa clams?

Currently resisting for a few reasons.

A. Between Jobs: Big reason, I spent way too much at the reef shop as it was.

B. Wish to learn more about the subject.

C. Quarentine/frag/ other display tank not ready.

D. Spouse may or may not be prone to murder.

E. Bunch of transformers coming in this week from the USA - Going to see what the chances are of surviving that.

F. Trying to decide if I want the 10 gallon as an anemone tank or what.

What are derasa clams?

they are like maximas, but they get bigger, grow faster and have somewhat less pretty colors

Jellyingabout

they are like maximas, but they get bigger, grow faster and have somewhat less pretty colors

But also a less pissy attitude

But also a less pissy attitude

someone didnt tell that to my derasa, when i switched my tank from a 20 to a 30 it shut its inlet and outlet siphons for a month

Jellyingabout

someone didnt tell that to my derasa, when i switched my tank from a 20 to a 30 it shut its inlet and outlet siphons for a month

Maybe it liked the smaller volume, where it was a bit small and clammy

Archived