SaltCritters.com

Jellyingabout's 1g Jar of Dirt

Jellyingabout

This is great - I've been looking into the jars and may start one.

I have a .7 gal Cube I made into a FW Tetra planted tank and it's doing great.

I just got a 2 gal Evolve and, for me, it's HUGE!

I found like a 3 cup cube vase I'm thinking of making that a pico... ;)

• Like 1
Jellyingabout

This is great - I've been looking into the jars and may start one.

I have a .7 gal Cube I made into a FW Tetra planted tank and it's doing great.

I just got a 2 gal Evolve and, for me, it's HUGE!

I found like a 3 cup cube vase I'm thinking of making that a pico... ;)

I'm not 100% sure of the volume of my pico silly me forgot to measure it before i filled it up, but 3L empties the jar completely then another 1.5L in the filter so i guess 4.5L in total or 1.2 US gallons.

The thing i love about the jar is the rope detail. Its very nautical looking :) I'm going to put an old compass and some drift wood on the same unit i have the jar on to give really nautical theme to my front room.

(just added another pic to the last post)

I'm not 100% sure of the volume of my pico silly me forgot to measure it before i filled it up, but 3L empties the jar completely then another 1.5L in the filter so i guess 4.5L in total or 1.2 US gallons.

The thing i love about the jar is the rope detail. Its very nautical looking :) I'm going to put an old compass and some drift wood on the same unit i have the jar on to give really nautical theme to my front room.

(just added another pic to the last post)

Yes it's really, really nice.

My friends and I have an Aviation shop and get stuff from Authentic Models, they also do Nautical stuff:

http://authenticmodels.com

You will need to find a local retail or online shop that will get it for you.

• Like 1
Jellyingabout

I 'm actually really lucky because I spend most my days in the National oceanographic center here in Southampton, so a lot of my nautical stuff is off the old boats and stuff from the collections here that isn't wanted any more :)

• 4 weeks later...

I bought two of these exact jars from Asda last week. As soon as I saw them I thought about a pico reef. I'm thinking of starting a 'native to the UK' coldwater tank in one with a similar set up to yours (i.e. DIY canister filter, simple LED lighting) but I wanted to get some information from you first seeing as you've got yours already set up and looking great.

1. Could you take a photo of the inflow and outflow tubes at the top of the jar? I'm uncertain of the best way to implement these on mine.

2. Could you link the LED bulb you bought on eBay? If your tropical corals are responding to it there is no reason a temperate nem wont.

• Like 1
Jellyingabout

I bought two of these exact jars from Asda last week. As soon as I saw them I thought about a pico reef. I'm thinking of starting a 'native to the UK' coldwater tank in one with a similar set up to yours (i.e. DIY canister filter, simple LED lighting) but I wanted to get some information from you first seeing as you've got yours already set up and looking great.

1. Could you take a photo of the inflow and outflow tubes at the top of the jar? I'm uncertain of the best way to implement these on mine.

2. Could you link the LED bulb you bought on eBay? If your tropical corals are responding to it there is no reason a temperate nem wont.

For the inlet out let of the tank I used this pipe holder from the fleabay http://tinyurl.com/ok3muj8

I'll try to get a picture on here when i get the chance, it fits perfectly over the lip of the jar. Both 15mm inlet and outlet pipes are squeezed into it and held in place by the acrylic screw.

The bulb is a fullspectrum LED and in a jar this size is imensly powerful! :) I actually manged to bleach out most my SPS in the first week as i didn't expect the light have such a kick. But 2weeks later after screening the top and taking it slowly they have all came back to life, if not brighter and have even been growing rapidly. So i can not recommend the light enough. Beats using radions on my other tank as it can be so much closer to the water and brighter http://www.marine-reef.co.uk/15w-marinereefled---par20---quadspec-mini-v2-304-p.asp

I wouldn't recomend the goosenecks they do on this jar as they don't fit the jar easily, plus because the jar is so narrow at the neck the clamp casts a shadow in the tank. Best thing I have found is to just use a lamp.

• 2 years later...
Jellyingabout

A baby and a puppy at the same time (worst decision ever!) made me sell up on this tank and i took a big long break from the hobby. But I've caught the bug again and will be starting a new tank very very soon :)

• Like 1