Pod Your Reef

Clam coloration

yoowicked

Hi guys,

I have set up this pico for three months. Only one clam, one little fish and 2 sexy shrimps inside. The clam settle well but It looks brownish even under the blue lights.

I am using a 10W LED. 4 Blue, 4 White and 2 violet.

Just wondering whether the clam will change its color or not?

Any advice?

Picture%20063_zpsowly8dp2.jpg

Jellyingabout

As far as I have read it may change but not a lot, and if it does it may not get brighter, the colour in clams is and interplay between clam pigments, iridocytes and the zoozanthellae and does not strictly follow a "more light more colour" approximation like in coral.

Studies in which clams did change colour it was water quality and conditions that appeared to have more of an impact, and the effect of light was not straight forward.

But maybe one of the clam experts on here knows better so i'm on this post for the ride.

Hi Jellyingabout, Thanks for the information! I agree with you, some ppl said it's all abt my lighting but I really doubt it.

HI Pilg0re, I didn't dose anything so far cuz' this tank is really really small. I only do 30% wc every week. How should I dose? Plz advice!

Many Thanks!

Jellyingabout

I know when my clam arrives through the post i'll be surrounding him with bright greens and blues to see if the crypto morph works. All my other clams in the past stayed pretty constant in colour though.

Hi Jellyingabout, Thanks for the information! I agree with you, some ppl said it's all abt my lighting but I really doubt it.

HI Pilg0re, I didn't dose anything so far cuz' this tank is really really small. I only do 30% wc every week. How should I dose? Plz advice!

Many Thanks!

Hey yoowicked if you do 2x water changes of 20% you will get more nutrients in your tank since you don't dose. I do that with my tank and my corals all seem happy including my Firefish.(: That's just my 2cents. :D

p.s Love your Clam :wub:

Just a note, clams look completely different colors based on viewing angle. Top down or front through glass will look like two different colors completely.

Hey yoowicked if you do 2x water changes of 20% you will get more nutrients in your tank since you don't dose. I do that with my tank and my corals all seem happy including my Firefish.(: That's just my 2cents. :D

p.s Love your Clam :wub:

Hi Mkidd, thanks for the tips! I'll try to keep WC more frequently and see what will happened.

Is that your daughter in your profile pic? She's adorable! I have twins and they are 4 now. :happy:

Just a note, clams look completely different colors based on viewing angle. Top down or front through glass will look like two different colors completely.

Yes smeagol108, I notice that too. My clam looks a bit red seeing from the top down. Much better looking than seeing at the front :(

Yes it is she's 18months (: she loves messing with my tank(: she always sees me working on it and she decides to help with the turkey blaster or refractometer haha she's a gorgeous baby and awwn cute twins I have a son on the way (: 10 more weeks yey

• 2 weeks later...
yoowicked

Nothing much changed over the last few weeks, just added few more live stocks such as an unknown shrimp (really dunno its name, anyone?)

IMG_1009_zpsmenxph9t.jpgIMG_1007_zpsbldvcjuz.jpgIMG_1008_zpsod1atcav.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Jellyingabout

Always resist the urge to upgrade for as long as possible, its a dark slippery slope that leads to 10ft tanks and divorces lol

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update, all corals seem doing well so far.

I have cleaned the tank and done water change more frequently lately cuz I wanna control the phosphate and NO3 level as lower as possible. As you can see from the picture, all algae is under control even on the live rocks. I also brought in a xenia frag 4 days ago and it looks pretty happy in it. :P

post-82090-0-72570000-1433214874_thumb.jpg

Archived