SaltCritters.com

36G Euphyllia Paradise

blankminded

blankminded

So its time to upgrade from my Aqueon Evolve 8 gallon and Fluval Spec 5 gallon. I decided to break down my 36 gallon fresh water and combine both nano's.

Tank: Aqueon 36 gallon bowfront

Mod: Drilled and Plumded
Lighting: Ebay blackBox (Thinking about going with 2 T5 for supplement)
Flow: Jebao WP10 (back wall on wave1 mode) and Jebao RW4 (Rightside on ELS mode)

Sump: DIY 20H sump w/ Refugium

Reactor: BRS Mini (Carbob/GFO) Plumbed off Return
Return: Jebao DC3000

Heater: 150W Aqueon Heater
Skimmer: No Skimmer
Controller: No Controller right now but looking for one
ATO: autotopoff.com Double Switch

-Live Stock-

Fish

• Pair of clowns
  • yasha goby and pistol shrimp

Inverts

• Pair Dwarf Blue Coral Banded Shrimp
  • Arrow Crab

Clean-up-Crew

• Dwarf Ceriths Snails
  • Nassarius Snails
  • Florida Ceriths Snails
  • Nerites Snails
  • Stomatella Snails
  • Scarlet Hermits
  • Blue legged hermits

Corals

• Hammers
  • Frogspawn
  • Torches
  • SPS

​​

blankminded

DIY 20g High Sump/Refugium

Left side/ Return section

20150401_112623.jpg

Right side/ Refugium

20150401_112606.jpg

BRS Mini Carbon/GFO Reactor

20150328_210558.jpg

blankminded

First attempt at aquascaping

20150401_112651.jpg

Decided to add some more live rock!

20150408_170115.jpg

I went with horseshoe U style but wanted 3 columns instead of 2. This way I would be able to add all 3 euphyllia on there own column.

blankminded

I just added some of the corals from my nano's. Some of the corals added where blue, peach, bicolor, green w/ purple tips, and purple w/ green tips hammers. orange octospawn and green octospawn. I also added a rainbow torch. Ill take some pics tomorrow when they are open and happy.

blankminded

Added a few corals to the new tank. Most are on the bottom of the tank because they came from my 8 gallon nano with a smaller light. The 36 has a ebay black box and I want them to get used to the light first. Its also turned down to about 25%-30%.

Not sure if this is common but its a cool odd looking hammer. It had a purple base and mouth with green tentacles and light purple hammers. The big hammer on the left is tan with teal hammers.

20150422_165859.jpg

Green and purple hammer on the bottom and my new Toxic splatter hammer. It has yellow, purple, and teal hammers on it. This has become my favorite!

20150422_162136.jpg

A couple torchs. Green with pink tips, green with lime tips, and on top is a tri color or rainbow but bleached out a little when i moved from the little 8 gallon in this tank.

20150422_162100.jpg

Markburns43

I love the euphilya !!!

I have a similiar hammer like the toxic its smaller and only one branch i cant wait till it grows out!

blankminded

I hear ya. I've had a hard time getting good growth out of my euphyllia in my 8 gallon. Im hoping that changes now that I have the This 36 gallon going!

I hear ya. I've had a hard time getting good growth out of my euphyllia in my 8 gallon. Im hoping that changes now that I have the This 36 gallon going!

I think you should get great growth. I have huge hammer and frogspawn coral in my 36g bowfront. I also use t5 lighting.

• 2 weeks later...
blankminded

A little update on the hammer section of the tank!

20150504_131658.jpg

Its starting to fill in :D

Markburns43

Oh the orange tip green torch is awsome, it must have imprinted in my mind subconsciously and i bought one a few days ago lol.

Ph pink tip my bad still a eye catcher

blankminded

I ended up getting a new torch and hammer yesterday! I got a purple with yellow tip torch and a green on green hammer. The tank is filling up fast!

20150509_145308.jpg

blankminded

I know this is a Euphyllia Tank and my plan was to go with only Euphyllia but decided to add a couple odds and ends into the tank. Its still going to be a full on Euphyllia tank with a lite splash of other corals. I added a small Pink Montipora to the top right section of the tank. There was a small empty area in the top right so I'm hoping that this plates out and fills in that area. I also got a frag of Green Pocillopora. These 2 are my first SPS corals so I'm hoping they do great! I do plan on getting a couple other SPS to sit net to the Pocillopora and a a few other corals down on the sand bed but other then that its gonna be more and more awesome Euphyllia.

20150505_161759.jpg

blankminded

They aren't pointing that way all the time. I have a jebao WP10 in the center back wall facing the front on Wave mode. I also have a Jebao RW4 on ELSE mode on the right side facing the left side. This makes the torches sway in all directions. They just happen to be flowing that way when I took the picture. Maybe I could take a short video to give you a better idea. I will agree with you that good flow helps torches extend further.

Do you have any tricks to keeping euphyllia happy?

I've killed a couple torches and have a frogspawn that's only barely staying alive. I'm thinking of shifting to an all eyphyllia tank but the only thing I have success keeping so far is hammers.

blankminded

I found that a lot of people who have issues with Eyphyllia tend to have low Alkalinity. I keep mine between 10-12 dKH. Another thing is to have good flow. You don't want them whipping around really bad but they need to be moving.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
blankminded

I added my first fish! I went with a Yasha Goby and pistol shrimp pair. I also got lucky as the pistol shrimp dug their home under a rock right up front!

DSC_8742.jpg

• 3 months later...

Archived