ReefCleaners.org

Clown Guards

clink51

WHY DIDNT 'FINDING NEMO' PREPARE ME FOR THIS!?!?!

anyone else have guard dog like clowns? mine have drawn blood twice, then i got the gloves and they nipped through it! i put in 2 fire fish, bullied one so bad it stopped eating and died. Put in a healthy Yellow Watchman, and hes been nipped several time (although he is an idiot. I'd put him on the far side of the tank and he decides he likes the area right next to the clowns nem smh... stupid watchman) I chased them around with a net for 15 min last night just so they would leave the watchman alone!

what are your Killer Clowns stories?

29g regular Mix Reef

Drop in the bucket in terms of the ocean they came from. They have claimed the entire 29g as their own. Yeah, as you have seen, they can be a quite aggressive fish!

The female in my tank is very territorial. She's ok with my firefish luckily - they have shared the tank from the beginning. She will chase my hand and headbutt it. If I leave it in there she'll bite but hasn't drawn blood so far. One time I saw her coming for me and pulled my hand out - she jumped out of the water to try to bite me! She will strip polyps off the gorgonian and she routinely picks up snails and moves them away from her nest. She will swoosh her tail to kick up a sandstorm if a larger snail or hermit gets too close.

yea, my clown pair were alone for very close to a year. they are suffering from "only child" complex LOL. im upgrading in a few months so i already know to put the clowns in last

Mama Ruby killed 2 pistol shrimps and beat my poor Tang to death. She hated Midas Blennies and would grab them by the tail and swing the poor fish around and around. She beat a sea hare till he nearly inked. The tang was the last straw. Traded her in.

oh boy! I just read this thread - I also have a clown who likes to go after my hand whenever it is in the tank - hasn't drawn blood yet! I haven't added any additional fish yet, but was thinking about some green banded gobies and now I'm nervous that she'll take them out!

owww! My first clown was very mean to me, man she could bite!! She always went for the sensitive area between the fingers too! She didn't bother other fish though.

I haven't had any problems with my current clowns and for that, I consider myself lucky.

worst case, and i really dont want any of my guys or gals to die, i'm debating trading in my fake percs and get some Picasso Onyx in the new tank and introduce them all around the same time

Keep the stories coming!!

Strangely enough, my two clowns which I've had since the beginning (almost 3 years now) are pretty laid back. The only time they've fought with other fish has been when the Lubbock fairy wrasse gets frisky and chases after everything in the tank. It's learned its lesson now - don't mess with the clowns or the tang.

When I feed my nem, my tomato clown goes bonkers and attacks the baster and my hand. It's pretty amusing but gets annoying sometimes.

WHY DIDNT 'FINDING NEMO' PREPARE ME FOR THIS!?!?!

anyone else have guard dog like clowns? mine have drawn blood twice, then i got the gloves and they nipped through it! i put in 2 fire fish, bullied one so bad it stopped eating and died. Put in a healthy Yellow Watchman, and hes been nipped several time (although he is an idiot. I'd put him on the far side of the tank and he decides he likes the area right next to the clowns nem smh... stupid watchman) I chased them around with a net for 15 min last night just so they would leave the watchman alone!

what are your Killer Clowns stories?

Oh I am sorry to hear about the loss of your firefish.

I had read that they could bite and do get very territorial. My guys seem more interested in following for food at the minute but they are still quite young and have only recently started dancing with each other.

I have a seriously mean female Maroon. She beats up the poor male I got for her and still won't let him sleep in her bta and its been 8 months with them together. She bites the antenna of my cleaner shrimp whenever he gets close to any of her corals--she also lets a bubble coral and large purple mushroom host her--.

Oddly enough she hides whenever I do maintenance and never goes after my hand. She chases everything away. Tired of her being so mean. Sick of it really. Want to get rid of her and the poor little male and start over with some nice Picasso's or snowflakes.....its hard because she's been with me over a year.

Want to get rid of her and the poor little male and start over with some nice Picasso's or snowflakes.....its hard because she's been with me over a year.

EXACTLY!!!! ive grown to really really really like my clowns!. I think that when i build my next tank, im going to donate the clowns to an LFS and just get baby Onyx Picassos and start with them.... or throw the abusive pair to kick of my cycle muahahahahahaha... yea i wont do that but i am tempted!

I had one bully Clownfish had to take it back to the LFS it kept slamming the other clown into the glass. Now my tank is at peace one Clown one BiColor Blenny.

Archived