Top Shelf Aquatics

Instant Ocean hold-fast epoxy stick is a POS!

th532

I have a 21 gallon nano and recently used this product to affix 2 pieces of unstable live rock together. DIrections say to leave skimmer off for 36hrs which I did....its been 72hrs and my skimmer is overproducing like crazy! I am just letting it go and dumping out the water every 5 minutes hoping it clears the chemical from my system. I did a water change with no change....any suggestions?

reefernanoman

I have a 21 gallon nano and recently used this product to affix 2 pieces of unstable live rock together. DIrections say to leave skimmer off for 36hrs which I did....its been 72hrs and my skimmer is overproducing like crazy! I am just letting it go and dumping out the water every 5 minutes hoping it clears the chemical from my system. I did a water change with no change....any suggestions?

I use Tunze coral gum in conjunction with super glue gel from loctite and it has zero effects on my skimmer. Expensive, but worth it and it works very well. Maybe a vinegar bath? I know when that has happened to me it can take up to two weeks for my skimmer to come back to normal, even after a few water changes. Good luck.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-coral-gum-instant.html

Jellyingabout

IMO all epoxy is just plain crap. Super glue is by far safer and easier. If your livestock is fine just keep you water oxygenated and wait it out.

reefernanoman

IMO all epoxy is just plain crap. Super glue is by far safer and easier. If your livestock is fine just keep you water oxygenated and wait it out.

Well just super doesn't work for me when it's a big frag.

Jellyingabout

Well just super doesn't work for me when it's a big frag.

It just takes a bit more of the stuff in my experience but you could dump a cup of superglue into your tank and providing its cyanoacrelate nothing will even notice.

reefernanoman

It just takes a bit more of the stuff in my experience but you could dump a cup of superglue into your tank and providing its cyanoacrelate nothing will even notice.

Yeah, i'm very clumsy and I just get it all over the place and on my fingers. I avoid the mess with coral gum. I only have to use a very tiny amount of glue.

I've used several brands of epoxy stick but the Instant Ocean Hold fast is my go-to epoxy.

It holds well when you sandwich glue it - Gel-Epoxy-Gel.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with it.

Are you sure it is the epoxy? Did you try and fiddle with your skimmer to make it skim dryer? Does it really fill up in 5 minutes? How much epoxy did you use?

And I've never shut off my skimmer.

Me neither and never had skimmer issues that I noticed. Unless the OP used a ton of epoxy, I am dubious about the epoxy causing it. Skimmers are temperamental. I wonder if being off-line for all that time might have something to do with it. IMO, time to pull the skimmer, clean it well, and reinstall/adjust.

jedimasterben

I've used around half a dozen different brands of epoxy. All of them, no matter the amount used in my ~90-95g total volume system, immediately cause any skimmer to overflow and continue to overflow for days after.

I think the key is to work the epoxy OUTSIDE the tank as much as possible. Once you work it in the water, the oils (?) and the epoxy particles start flying everywhere and it gets the skimmer going like crazy.

Last time I used epoxy, I superglued the frag to rubble first, and then attached the epoxy to the bottom of the rubble. The only time the epoxy was worked in the tank was when I was pressing it into the LR. Didn't so much as make my skimmer burp. Before, I would squish the frag into the epoxy in the tank, and my skimmer would go crazy for a day.

I use JB Water Weld, if that helps.

I've used around half a dozen different brands of epoxy. All of them, no matter the amount used in my ~90-95g total volume system, immediately cause any skimmer to overflow and continue to overflow for days after.

Interesting. I wonder if it is due to amine blush perhaps. Still would not account for the drastic difference between the two systems reactions.

I use JB water weld too and I do not monkey with it in-tank. I knead it well out of the tank and then onto the frag and into the tank. I press firmly one time and rather quickly and that is it.

Weasel Baron

when I use epoxy I roll it into a ball after kneading it and wash it off (and my gloves/fingers) under tap water. I also use the super glue sandwich method. The amount my skimmer reacts is considerably lower when I do this... may just be anecdotal

It was actually filling up in less than five minutes....but it is a nano skimmer so the cup isn't that big. It all started after I waited the 36 hours the directions state. I only used about 2-3 inches of the tube of epoxy in two different spots to help secure the liverock. I have only used superglue gel in the past with no issues but decided to try the epoxy since its easier to mold and place underwater. Prob never using it again. Fish and livestock are fine, although I did lose a porcelain crab, but that may have been unrelated.

I just kept running the skimmer today and emptying the cup everytime it filled until I dumped about a gallon and a half of tank water out via the collection cup over the course of a few hours, replaced with fresh saltwater to make up for loss of water. Its settled down now finally. I will stick with super glue gel from now on. I think having a small tank is why it reacted more so than in a large tank with more water.

Jellyingabout

I've had epoxy go weird on me in the past. I used only a golfball sized peice of D-D in a 24g and had it completely strip my water of O2 killing half my fish :( I'd used it many time before in larger quantities and been fine but this time it just went crazy releasing chalky residue for hours even after a good rinse. It's unreliable.

reefernanoman

Even the Tunze coral gum?

2nd the JB Water weld.

JB water weld makes my skimmer go crazy for up to 2 weeks in my 10G tank. And it's got that ugly white color.

Archived