Innovative Marine Aquariums

Seneye Review

Hexadron

6Ml7p0S.jpg

I have been fascinated by the Seneye Reef since hearing out it back in 2011. Following its journey from announcement to release amid various reef blogs, articles and personal reviews, I have been waiting for the perfect occasion to give this great device a shot, and finally got my chance! I have been testing this unit f’or over a month now, and would like to share my impressions and experiences with it.

What is Seneye?

Seneye is an Aquarium Monitoring device. The Seneye Reef and Seneye+ monitor temperature, water level, pH*, NH3*, PAR, LUX and Kelvin.

knqeL1n.jpg

The device is small enough to fit in even the smallest of spaces. I tested mine in the back of my nano - Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 10g; right in the back chamber, but it could easily fit in a smaller tank as well – and of course, larger! Whether in your display, sump or back chambers of your AIO, Seneye just works.

Please note: for light readings, Seneye Reef must be able to see your light using its available light sensor. Sao display would be optimal when using this feature.

* pH and NH3 reporting require the use of the Seneye+ slide; more on that in a bit.

This sounds amazing; Why on earth did I wait so long to try this out? The one thing holding me back at the time was the Seneye’s lack of Internet connectivity. I don’t have my computer anywhere near my aquarium, and the Seneye would previously only work if directly connected to a PC (that’s a Windows PC) I run all Mac computers at home and this wasn’t too accommodating for me at that time.

Earlier this year, Aqua Digital began distributing the Seneye Web Server (SWS) to the masses across Canada. This directly solved my problem of Internet connectivity and using a Mac. The SWS allows you to use “ The Cloud”. Oh yes! That’s right people, The Cloud. Why should you care? Well, being able to check on your parameters from any computer, smartphone, tablet or web browser in the world is a pretty cool thing to do, and just feels futuristic. It’s the Futurrrrre.

7UiJjNj.jpg

Who is Seneye for?

Seneye is for your Reefing addict (not that kind), Freshwater Enthusiast, Planted Tank Connoisseur, or Pond Aficionado. Seneye offers multiple devices tailored to your specific need, and gives you peace of mind knowing exactly what is happening that you can’t always see with your naked eye.

Unless you have an $800+ Aquarium controller package with probes that need to be calibrated regularly plus a $400+ Par meter, you are unlikely to find a better deal and/or simpler product than the Seneye Reef; and even with that, it won’t do quite everything the Seneye can. Seneye is an Aquarium Monitor, and will save you from failing lights, broken heaters, tank crashes caused by ammonia spikes, sudden pH shifts, ATO disasters and even leaks. This all happens with the help of the Seneye itself along with its accomplice, the Seneye+ slide.

What is Seneye+?

Seneye+ is essentially the brains for monitoring pH and NH3. It will even send you e-mail and/or text alerts to let you know if anything fishy is happening inside your aquarium, and will even recommend solutions and actions to these concerns.

gAoD8Zg.jpg

DQBjWeI.jpg

Activating the device is extremely simple; simply enter the code on the package into the www.seneye.me online Interface and bam! You are now monitoring precise free ammonia and pH readings at 5600 times per month!

The pH is monitored between 6.4 and 9, which is an ideal range for Reef aquariums.

The NH3 (free ammonia) sensor allows for detection of highly toxic ammonia at very low concentrations. This allows you to take preventative action if a fish or invert died and is hiding under that lovely piece of live rock, or a snail bit the dust and was shredded by your powerhead.

No calibrating – ever! The Seneye+ needs to be replaced every 30 days (it will actually keep reading parameters for 35 days in case you forgot) and soaked for 48 hours before installation to ensure proper readings immediately after replacing.

Setup and First Impressions

The unit provided to me by Michael @ Aqua Digital consisted of the following:

- Seneye Reef
- SWS Seneye Web Server (wired version)
- One month supply Seneye+ Slide
- Seneye+ Slide Soaker

lw8VBBj.jpg

Setup was relatively simple, and was done in 5 super-easy steps.

• Soak the Seneye+ slide for 48 hours with the aid of the Seneye+ Slide Soaker
  • Plug the SWS (Seneye Web Server) into a power outlet and connect via Ethernet (cable provided)
  • Install the Seneye+ slide into the Seneye Reef
  • Plug the Seneye Reef into the USB slot on the SWS

qssIYDj.jpg

DJzpFfi.jpg

wI8FV6c.jpg

Now, I did encounter one issue initially after activating the Seneye+ slide where after about 2 hours it still wasn’t reporting any parameters besides temperature and light/par/lux. Unplugging and re-plugging the Seneye Reef from the SWS via USB solved this issue. DERP.

After about 10 minutes it immediately started reporting parameters correctly, and has run without a hitch from then on.

702nCQt.png

nuQKkJt.png

32j5Vjv.png

I did not have wired Ethernet where my aquarium is, but at the time of this review, the Wi-Fi SWS was not available in Canada. I was able to MacGyver a solution using an Apple AirPort Express (essentially a wireless extender) and it worked out flawlessly.

I have heard of others using similar solutions without issue as well.

wX7TT0o.jpg

OVOmVU4.jpg

Pros, Cons and Final Thoughts

Now that you have a good idea of what Seneye can do for you and setup, let’s go through a few of the things I gushed over, and a few of the things that I didn’t.

Pros

+ Feature-rich in a small package
+ User friendly
+ Par Meter for Cheap!
+ Early warning system; 5600 readings/month
+ Polished SWS Interface
+ App available for iPhone, Android and Windows phone
+ No calibration required

Cons

- App is dated; needs more functionality and refinement
- Initial setup with SWS had connectivity issues
- SWS is wired only and not Wi-Fi*

* The SWS Wi-Fi version is now available in Canada!

Final Thoughts

I genuinely enjoyed testing the Seneye Reef and SWS, and have already purchased six months of additional Seneye+ slides to continue using it. Anyone looking for a product that can monitor, report and possibly prevent disasters stemming from stuck heaters, ATO failures, dying livestock, tank leaks, tank crashes due to deaths and pH swings will benefit from the Seneye.

Those of you with Aquarium Controllers with all the probes may not need this device, but for that nano project or office tank where an expensive controller isn’t required, you may very well benefit from the Seneye.

For any inquiries regarding Seneye, you can email Michael @ AquaDigital, who does the distribution in North America.

TL;DR - Seneye is awesome.

CronicReefer

Just curious on how you feel this par meter in the seneye device compares with a true par meter and if you feel the par/lux/kelvin values are accurate for your light? I know seneye claims to give you a more realistic value of your PAR number as most par meters are designed to work in the mid range of the visible light spectrum and become skewed under blue/ultraviolet lighting, I'm just wondering if this value is truly more accurate or just a gimmick for using an RGB meter instead of a cosine correcting device.

Hmm, I totaled everything you would need to run the thing for a year (including the AirPort) and it is over $700. That's Apex territory.

Just curious on how you feel this par meter in the seneye device compares with a true par meter and if you feel the par/lux/kelvin values are accurate for your light? I know seneye claims to give you a more realistic value of your PAR number as most par meters are designed to work in the mid range of the visible light spectrum and become skewed under blue/ultraviolet lighting, I'm just wondering if this value is truly more accurate or just a gimmick for using an RGB meter instead of a cosine correcting device.

I actually reviewed the Seneye a few years back and was able to test it against an Apogee meter and the results were nearly identical.

CronicReefer

I actually reviewed the Seneye a few years back and was able to test it against an Apogee meter and the results were nearly identical.

Sounds good. I've always been interested in a PAR meter and for one that can give you Lux and Kelvin values on top of PAR is just amazing for the $200 price tag and then you get the temp/ph/ammonia monitor if you wish to use the slides which is just a bonus imo.

I dunno, on the Seneye site is shows the Web Server plus WiFi at $260. The Seneye Reef is $199. $132 for a year of sensor things. That's $591. Does it require an AirportExpress like in the image above? That would then be just under $700.

I hardly ever check ammonia in an established tank. I have never used a PAR meter and don't see the need really. pH? Who tests that? I would like a temp alarm, but even for $313 it isn't worth it for that. I believe in a proper tank design (one that won't overflow, etc) and prefer old-school float switches to control ATO's. Simple and they work. For temp control (but not alarm) I use a commercial Ranco controller. Way more stable and robust than even an Apex.

Michaelsliz

Huh? testing pH alone is the #1 for any fish keeper its the bare bones basics of responsible fish keeping let alone reef. How would you know if your system has not crashed in other words fallen low pH that will kill corals pretty well, not to mention wrong pH upsetting the tiny gill membranes of your fish.

Ammonia is a very under tested element, often thought once you have got your system up and running you never have to test again. Thats so wrong, see what happens to your tank in 24 hours should an anemone find a power head and go to lunch on it. Or your prized tang goes on holiday behind the rocks and never comes out. Ammonia is natures alarm to something rotting in your tank,

A PAR meter when you take the time to understand it or better PUR (I believe the seneye also has PUR) measures the usable light emitting from your lights, this not only can tell you when your bulbs needs replacing or with LED tell you if where you put that $200 coral s going to be cremated.

Forget the Seneye for one moment the reply highlights so many things that make reef keeping a success or a bust. I think this tool answers a lot of questions and helps the novice as well as the pro.

pH the #1 thing we should be testing? Sorry, but I disagree completely. In fact, chasing some pH magic number can lead to devastating effects on your tank. My current main system (34g) is designed in a way that pH swings are not apt to happen. I do have a pH meter, and if things would start to look bad I might use it to see where I am at. However, I always have lots of water on hand and a quick massive WC is an easy thing for me to do (back to the properly designed system bit). I have absolutely no need to keep a constant check on pH. Personally, I think we should test our fresh water more for TDS. I believe having the cleanest most pure water is the most important thing in reef keeping. Call me crazy!

In my tank, I know what goes in and what comes out. I run BB. I don't over stress things. I stock lightly and feed appropriately. Again, back to proper design. I manually remove most debris and leftovers in the tank (I have to feed my CUC) and ammonia is never a concern. Nitrate monitoring would be way more useful for me (and you). If they had constant nitrate, I might have a look. Although my tank does run with undetectable nitrate using api kit. LOL!

My livestock tell me how they like the lights and I adjust accordingly. I research proper placement, etc. Reef tanks have run (and continue to run) without such metering. One can get too clamped into obtaining a proper reading and miss what is happening to the animals in the tank.

It is cool though--I do love gadgets.

disaster999

I agree with Cjjon, I never once tested pH in my establish tanks. Unless you are using a calcium reactor, I never felt the need to and Ive successfully kept a number of reef tanks with no issues.

I got one of locally for $60 brand new from a guy who never used it. Got it for the PAR and light meter only and the other stuff is useful when first setting up but after that it's kinda meh. If it was $100 it would be a steal for the PAR meter and spectrometer as it's pretty accurate.

pH the #1 thing we should be testing? Sorry, but I disagree completely.

+1 on that. To quote from this excellent post (on the other channel) about water chemistry:

Alkalinity is the thing most reefers track. Get it between 8.3 and 9.3 on the KH scale, and don't angst over the ph.

In addition, while monitoring free ammonia is a nice feature, it is the one parameter that I never test for after the tank has fully cycled - especially in a mature system. It would take a significant die off of a leather coral, or an anemone, or a extinction of most of the snails, etc., for one to be plagued with a significant spike in ammonia. Eyeballs work as well as the Seneye in that regard. I'd rather the Seneye had the capability to monitor Nitrates than free ammonia. That would have value... for me, at least.

Nevertheless, Jordan is to be congratulated for an excellent review!

If you don't want to measure pH or free ammonia the just don't use the seneye+ slides and save $132/year. :)

I'd use the slides when adding fish maybe. Just out off curiosity.

Still darn cheap for a fairly accurate par/lux/kelvin sensor with a temp sensor built in.

• 1 year later...
CronicReefer

So for anyone who has considered this for the light meter functions let it be known it is accurate and comparable to a LiCor PAR meter in both blue and white spectrums. BRS has a video where they recommend the seneye or the apogee as the best alternatives to a LiCor PAR meter.

Jumps to the 30min mark.

Archived