Cultivated Reef

Any experience with these LEDs

NinjaReefer

NinjaReefer

Hey guys. I have been out of the hobby for a few years. I am looking to setup a small desktop pico. aprox 10" cube.

I was wondering what you guys thought of this light I found on Ebay. Do you think it would work? Is 15 watts a good amount for a small 2 gallon reef.

Its 15 watts. 5x3 watt LEDS. 2 white, 3 blue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-E27-Bulb-White-3Blue-led-Coral-Reef-Grow-Light-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-lamp-PAR30/131480947457?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3D67420a2131b94756a80fdf4ef0fe4b37%26pid%3D100204%26rk%3D20%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D141457772907

NinjaReefer

I am on a very low budget. would like to keep it under 40. less is better.

I am a total noob to LEDs. So I really appreciate the help.

I dont have a lot of room to keep the light to high above the tank so I dont want to over do it on the light. Was looking at several in the 5w to 21 watt range. Im not sure what is a good amount.

Here is another one I am considering. Whatcha think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/21W-7x3w-4White-3Blue-Coral-Reefs-Grow-Aquarium-Clip-LED-Light-Flexible-Lamps/141204791394?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3D9b3ae6bd63cb4bddb29d632732fdc081%26pid%3D100204%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3D30%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D141457772907

Marc.The.Shark

Hey guys. I have been out of the hobby for a few years. I am looking to setup a small desktop pico. aprox 10" cube.

I was wondering what you guys thought of this light I found on Ebay. Do you think it would work? Is 15 watts a good amount for a small 2 gallon reef.

Its 15 watts. 5x3 watt LEDS. 2 white, 3 blue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-E27-Bulb-White-3Blue-led-Coral-Reef-Grow-Light-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-lamp-PAR30/131480947457?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3D67420a2131b94756a80fdf4ef0fe4b37%26pid%3D100204%26rk%3D20%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D141457772907

I have one of those in my fuge with a small frag rack. Same bulb but 3W/2B. You wont be happy with it over a display tank. Although it will grow the coral in my frag rack, the colors are crap. Good for cheato tho! My sump is a 10" cube, you'd need 4 of them to cover the whole thing. I have 2 on just the front half for my cheato/ frag rack.
NinjaReefer

Thanks Marc. That was exactly the kind of feedback I needed. I will look for something else.

What should I look for? I have no experience with LEDs. Do you have any recomendations?

I already have a gooseneck. I just need to pick a "bulb". A little overwhelmed with the choices. They range from $250 to $6 and seem pretty similar on paper.

What is a good wattage to aim for?

NinjaReefer

Thanks for the link Xmas. That seems like it might be overkill though and more money than I was hoping to spend.

This is my old 2.5 gallon with just 18 watts power compact from about 10 years ago. I want to creat something similar.

pico.jpg

That is an awesome tank, I love all the growth.

You want to try and get full spectrum with LED, blue and white alone will not show reds very well. The PAR bulbs made for reef tanks look good and work well, worth every penny. This is an example of some, others are available.

http://coralcompulsion.com/led/PAR-BULBS

You can find some unique bulbs on EBAY that are more than just blue and white that might be worth a try, or you can bite the bullet and pay more for a bulb known to work.

NinjaReefer

Thanks for the help Mark. I see what you mean about the differnt colors and full spectrum. I like the Coral Compulsion lamps a lot. I was looking at them before. I might try that. Are you sure thats not overkill on a 2 gallon tank? Those cheap lamps sure are tempting to try though. lol

Marc.The.Shark

I agree with a full spectrum bulb. Get one that's dimmable and you can dial it in to what you need. If you skimp on it, you'll end up spending more in the long run.

I'd pick a couple & do some searces for tank pics, peoples experiences with them, etc. Google search will pick up this forum & RC as well. I have a DIY setup myself so that I could pick the spectrum I wanted, but there are some good Par38's out there. You'll love LED's for a small tank, no heat & the coral looks awesome. Most important part of your setup.

Thanks for the help Mark. I see what you mean about the differnt colors and full spectrum. I like the Coral Compulsion lamps a lot. I was looking at them before. I might try that. Are you sure thats not overkill on a 2 gallon tank? Those cheap lamps sure are tempting to try though. lol

It might be overkill, a dimmer would be nice rather than hanging the bulb 5 feet above the tank. :D. How wide is the tank? If it's 6 inches or more you might want to try BuildMyLED which are dimmable and full spectrum. Again, the price goes up, but it's a good investment as long as you don't suddenly decide to go to a big tank.

NinjaReefer

Thanks for the advice. I have a much better idea of what I want now. I have not purchased anything yet, not even the tank. I am still getting a plan together. I have been eyeing a tank that is 10x6x8. I will do some more searches and try to find a good one.

I also found this last night. It has blue purble and white and is only 5 watts. For 9 bucks I might give it a test first before I put out near 100 for something dimmable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141630897093?lpid=82&chn=ps

Another option would be to make a hood and DIY something. I like the idea of picking out the exact spectrum I want. I gotta read more though...

Marc.The.Shark

Can't beat Dave's NanoBox pucks for a DIY setup, they're like $55 for the puck, but arguably the best color spectrum out there.

Thanks for the advice. I have a much better idea of what I want now. I have not purchased anything yet, not even the tank. I am still getting a plan together. I have been eyeing a tank that is 10x6x8. I will do some more searches and try to find a good one.

I also found this last night. It has blue purble and white and is only 5 watts. For 9 bucks I might give it a test first before I put out near 100 for something dimmable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141630897093?lpid=82&chn=ps

Another option would be to make a hood and DIY something. I like the idea of picking out the exact spectrum I want. I gotta read more though...

I bought some cheap AquaticLife LED strips when they were discontinued to put over my old 46 bowfront tank. They had white/blue/purple and the look was interesting. If it's rated at 5 watts and it has 5 LED's then each LED is running a little below 1 watt, which is pretty dim.

Here was my 46 under that color combo. You're still missing True Violet (the purple is a blue+red combo) but it might do ok.

iuqu.jpg

Marc.The.Shark

I bought some cheap AquaticLife LED strips when they were discontinued to put over my old 46 bowfront tank. They had white/blue/purple and the look was interesting. If it's rated at 5 watts and it has 5 LED's then each LED is running a little below 1 watt, which is pretty dim.

Here was my 46 under that color combo. You're still missing True Violet (the purple is a blue+red combo) but it might do ok.

iuqu.jpg

Colors look pretty good with those.

NinjaReefer

I actually like the look. It has a nice deepwater kind of atmosphere. Thats a really nice looking tank! My very first tank was a 46 bowfront. I love them.

I am still looking a different options. So much stuff. On Sunday I will try to go pick out a tank and then decide on a light to fit it.

I actually just bought one of these for a frag rack in my sump. The seller is OUTSTANDING. USPS lost the first package and they told me to simply send them the cost of shipping (I suggested $10 and they said that was fine) and they immediately sent me a second one. I can't comment on the growth under it since I haven't put any under it but so far it's looks good to me. It's more on the white side though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371260324892?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=640388536382&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

NinjaReefer

Good news everybody! I may have found a solotion, and it was free. I was going through my reef junk and I found the old stock led light for a cadlights mini. It was a crappy light for the 4 gallon tank it was designed for but I think it will do good over this tiny reef. I cut it apart and took off all the extra plastic crap and it fits over the little tank like it was made for it. : ) Its 3.8 watts. I also got a tank today. 1.6 gallons 8x6x8". Time will tell if it actaully works, but it looks pretty bright...

IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

Archived