Cultivated Reef

Ich Questions

PathOfDeception

PathOfDeception

Hi guys, questions about ich. My tank only has 2 clowns, when I added the second it developed white spots after 3 days. That cause my first clown to get some. Now the spots are gone and they never stopped eating well. They look healthy.

Question is, will ich always be in this tank? Will it ever leave if I keep them in the tank?

Can ich eventually die off if stuck with healthy fish or it's presence will never leave?

Do I need to QT them for 8 weeks to be sure or I should be fine?

Yep the ich will live on as long as there are fish in there. Sooner or later the spots are going to come back. Remove them from the tank and treat them for ich...keep the tank fish free for 72 days.

You will need to treat the clowns with copper, hypo salinity or the tank transfer method....ich wi not just disappear on its own, the clowns may develope an immunity to it, but as soon as you put in another fish the cycle will start over

PathOfDeception

Yep the ich will live on as long as there are fish in there. Sooner or later the spots are going to come back. Remove them from the tank and treat them for ich...keep the tank fish free for 72 days.

You will need to treat the clowns with copper, hypo salinity or the tank transfer method....ich wi not just disappear on its own, the clowns may develope an immunity to it, but as soon as you put in another fish the cycle will start over

That's what I thought and feared :(. They are 2 juvenile clowns will they fit in a 5 gallon? I have a cycled 5 gallon QT ready to go with nothing in it.

Yeah they should be fine in there. I would get an ammonia alert badge and do water changes every few days. If running copper like cupramine get a copper test to make sure you stay at a therapudic level. Also if you treat with copper you can't use anything from that tank in your main tank in the future...nets, heaters etc. if you don't want to go the copper route you may want to try the tank transfer method. It's a bit more involved but you aren't using chemicals. Shoot me a pm and I can tell you how to do it. I probably wouldn't try hypo as that can get real tricky of you don't know what you are doing.

Archived