SaltCritters.com

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

Often I've heard that there are two kinds of people in this hobby- the biology aspect fanatics, and the engineering aspect enthusiasts. I tend to be on the biology end of that spectrum, so any sort of tank build idea/knowledge is super appreciated!

I like that and have never heard it before but it sounds right. It helps me understand why I choose to run my tanks the way I do. Like you, I too am more biology minded. You are more progressive than I though, I am totally intimidated by all the tech required for LEDs! LOL
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thecoralbeauty

I like that and have never heard it before but it sounds right. It helps me understand why I choose to run my tanks the way I do. Like you, I too am more biology minded. You are more progressive than I though, I am totally intimidated by all the tech required for LEDs! LOL

haha, well thank you! the radions have been great- very straightforward. especially when awesome people draw you arrows!!

my only complaints so far with the fixture at all would be that they don't have pre-settings for the kind of coral you are aiming to support, but it's a minor annoyance since it's fairly easy to figure out what sort of lighting you would need to care for the species you've stocked. but, for us biology-minded people, it would have been a nice touch!

thecoralbeauty

Livestock update:

My "emerald" crab ate my baby plate corals. all of them. so i got rid of him, threw him at a friend of mine who put it in one of his service account's tank. I'm hoping I get more baby plate corals sprouting out of that skeleton. *crossing fingers!*

added a sunset monti and a rainbow monti and an unknown chalice piece (blue with yellow mouth). am calling around trying to find a piece of hollywood stunner. and then i'll pretty much have everything I could ever want....

oh who am i kidding??

thecoralbeauty

Bad crab!

well, i'm wondering if it wasn't some other kind of crab? the claws were a little more rounded than i remember the old (benign) emerald crab's claws being. has anyone else had this happen to them?

So.......when does the upgrade build start? :)

HAHA this IS the upgrade.

for now.

so, i'm looking at the growth one vs the color one- i always understood that wavelengths had to do with growth vs coloration. what are your thoughts on those two?

I think you'll be safe with either one of those settings. I would just choose the one that's the most visually appealing to you and go from there! Personally, I like the settings that have the most natural transitions, as opposed to the choppy step up/down in intensity. Plus I love the heavy blue & purple sunrises/sunsets that make the corals glow! As long as you have an appropriately long photo-period, and you've got the master power level where it should be, you should get all the growth and color that you want!

thecoralbeauty

I think you'll be safe with either one of those settings. I would just choose the one that's the most visually appealing to you and go from there! Personally, I like the settings that have the most natural transitions, as opposed to the choppy step up/down in intensity. Plus I love the heavy blue & purple sunrises/sunsets that make the corals glow! As long as you have an appropriately long photo-period, and you've got the master power level where it should be, you should get all the growth and color that you want!

you have similar stock to me, correct? would you mind sharing yours somehow?

Uh oh, poor crab he was hungry haha. I hate when that happens though, has happened to me too once or twice.

thecoralbeauty

There might be one surviving baby plate coral!!! can't get a good picture of him, but there's definitely tissue left.

New FTS:

IMG_2345_zpsevlagu8e.jpg

New Montis: (Couldn't decide which light was better, still just using my phone)

IMG_2335_zpsowynirta.jpgIMG_2348.JPG_zpsndcuvil6.jpeg

New Chalice Frag:

IMG_2316_zpsijho07i4.jpg

Hollywood Stunner: (This was a steal, and I accidentally fragged it into another piece too!)

IMG_2315_zpskbitqaku.jpg

thecoralbeauty

So, I got a couple pieces of coral FREE from a fellow reefer, and picked up an oregon tort and a purple milipora.

The new pieces are tubs blue zoas, red planet, and pink milipora. The red planet and pink mili are snotting like mofos- mostly the red planet. no idea what that's about, i acclimated super slowly, but i'm running some new carbon and seeing if it clears up soon without crashing things. My water is still coming out 0's for nitrite/nitrate, so I seem to have a pretty decent balance going. Still. This shit's gross, I'll be pissed if it knocks things out of balance for me.

The red planet looks pale, as does the pink mili. Don't think they were happy under his light, so maybe they'll color up under mine. I'm slowly acclimating to 55% intensity on the Radions, and a mix between 12K and 14K throughout the day, so, we'll see how things go. So far the monti's, birds nest, and green slimers have been super happy, so I'm hoping the new additions will be too, once they get done sliming my entire tank.

Pics to come!! The oregon tort is gorgeous. I'm completely in love.

Also- in the picture above of the "new chalice piece" above the one with the yellow mouth, the pink chalice piece- is that actually a pink chalice?? It seems rather meaty to me, and I haven't seen any crazy sweeper tentacles on it yet like I have the Hollywood stunner.

thecoralbeauty

IMG_2384_zpslt6ybpcr.jpg

IMG_2383_zpsj24p1ref.jpg

Red Planet next to Oregon Tort (Blue washed it out... it's a gorgeous royal blue)

IMG_2412_zpsqcguw4zm.jpg

Aquacultured Purple and Pink Mili's

IMG_2414_zpsjy340fyf.jpg

Daisy watching the tank:

IMG_2397_zpsl076drzx.jpg

IMG_2388_zpss1bzuuz9.jpg

Mr. Microscope

Fun tank! I like the aquascape and your cats, lol.

I get that this is an upgrade. So, how old is it now?

thecoralbeauty

This tank has been running for about a year, and in my care again for about two-three months.

thecoralbeauty

I love how the goby looks concerned... haha. the pearly jawfish and him have similar, disapproving jaw structure.

thecoralbeauty

Nice tank and kitties!

Thank you! Never a dull moment.

I've decided to run my radions at mostly 14k thoughout the day, but slowly acclimate to a higher intensity than i was running the 12k cycle. The trick will be acclimating slowly enough so as to not sunburn anything. So far everyone is happy, but my rainbow montipora isn't coloring up as nice deep maroon as I would like and has a few lighter spots. other monti's are fine.

Guess just keep feeding, and watching!

Lovely tank....and cats :). We're preparing to adopt a kitten in a couple of weeks so I have cats on the brain lately LOL. I hope mine will be

as interested in my tanks as yours are. We just lost one of our cats in February, she was 19. Her "brother" is still with us, also 19, and he could care less

about my fish :).

thecoralbeauty

Lovely tank....and cats :). We're preparing to adopt a kitten in a couple of weeks so I have cats on the brain lately LOL. I hope mine will be

as interested in my tanks as yours are. We just lost one of our cats in February, she was 19. Her "brother" is still with us, also 19, and he could care less

about my fish :).

Wow! Thank you! The compliment means a lot, coming from you. Cats are hysterical, I'm sorry you lost one of yours. Are you adopting the kitten or did you find a breeder or what not? It's funny how some animals are interested while others are not. The dog has no idea what's so special about the aquarium.

Wow! Thank you! The compliment means a lot, coming from you. Cats are hysterical, I'm sorry you lost one of yours. Are you adopting the kitten or did you find a breeder or what not? It's funny how some animals are interested while others are not. The dog has no idea what's so special about the aquarium.

Adopting through our animal shelter. I'm so impatient!!!!! I've been watching kitten videos in the meantime :lol:. I also have two dogs and neither of them is interested in the tanks either.

Daisy watching the tank:

IMG_2397_zpsl076drzx.jpg

I especially love this photo. Daisy is sooo interested :wub:. Is she looking in the direction of your goby and shrimp pair?

Nice tank. I will follow your progress. I have a few saved schedules for my Radion that I could share. You have similar livestock to mine. Start low, no more than 30%. I burned some coral at first. Will send download link via PM.

thecoralbeauty

I especially love this photo. Daisy is sooo interested :wub:. Is she looking in the direction of your goby and shrimp pair?

It looks like she was checking out the clam or maybe the hammer. the goby/shrimp pair is on the left side of the tank, under the blue polyp colony. you can see the stripes on the goby right under her chin in that photo. usually, it is the flasher wrasse that teases them the most. it's really fascinating to watch them interact with each other. the cats will gently paw at the glass and the fish will swim by and tease them, not seeming scared at all!

Nice tank. I will follow your progress. I have a few saved schedules for my Radion that I could share. You have similar livestock to mine. Start low, no more than 30%. I burned some coral at first. Will send download link via PM.

ahhh nice! thank you!! I've had mine acclimated up to 45% over the last weeks, and the only thing that seems unhappy is that rainbow monti. It's curious that he's the one thats mad, because lots of my other frags (including other monti's who are very happy!) came from that same tank and they seem to be adjusting fine to my lights.

Tank looks good, much better with the new light. I'm def a little jealous of your shrimp/goby pair.

How has your experience been with the urchin? I have heard of them bulldozing the little corals our tanks often have.

Archived