Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thecoralbeauty

I only see one cat.....

:D Though I suppose this is my reef thread's legacy, here is the official guide to the two cats:

Boy and Girl. About a year and a half old right now. Rescued from Denver Dumb Friends League in October 2013 at two months old. Different litters. Boy was under someone's porch. Girl was rescued from a storm drain.

Girl- Named Daisy. Black and White. Spot on head, white neck, black back. Green bow-tie on collar

Boy- Named Duke. Grey and White. Entire back from head to tail is grey. (Grey neck)- sometimes looks black in photos, so look for the neck I guess. Beige bow-tie on collar.

Duke is the one that was standing on his hind legs to look in the tank. He's buddies with the wrasse. Daisy is the one that fell asleep in the office chair watching them last night.

So far, I only have pictures of them staring at the tank one at a time, but I'll eventually get them both!

Daisy (girl cat) fell asleep in the office chair in front of the tank. Guess reefs are just as soothing for her too.

IMG_2206_zpsyyjzwx9i.jpg

This is too much cute!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, tanks looking good with the new lights! How is the clam doing? I just got one about a week ago for my edge.

thecoralbeauty

Clam is going great! I put him on a piece of flat rock so he could attach to something in case I need to move him at some point in the future. I would look out for this if you aren't already, they like to attach to things and you have to be careful when cutting the byssal threads so you don't damage the little guys!

What size is yours?

Everything is loving the new lights, and I've gotten a little better at adjusting them to take some better pictures. I also got one with BOTH cats playing with the wrasse through the glass, so I'll try to have those up soon.

So far all the SPS frags I've introduced have been doing really well.

Sounds awesome. The clam I got is an aquacultured one from pacific east aquaculture. He is about 3.5 inches. Current he is sitting on the sand cause I didn't have any flat rocks to attach him too. Do you know if it is normal for their foot to be not in the center of the shell lengthwise? (the foot is more towards one end of the shell). I gotta try to find something to attach him too cause right now its just the sand and a small piece of rubble that was near him that he grabbed. He is opened up fully while my daylights are on, but when just blue he closes some and than at night closes a lot more.

How did you get so lucky to find a piece of flat live rock? or is it some other type of rock?

thanks!

thecoralbeauty

IMG_2253_zpsezhogrjq.jpg

IMG_2267_zpsfio8jfrh.jpg

Sounds awesome. The clam I got is an aquacultured one from pacific east aquaculture. He is about 3.5 inches. Current he is sitting on the sand cause I didn't have any flat rocks to attach him too. Do you know if it is normal for their foot to be not in the center of the shell lengthwise? (the foot is more towards one end of the shell). I gotta try to find something to attach him too cause right now its just the sand and a small piece of rubble that was near him that he grabbed. He is opened up fully while my daylights are on, but when just blue he closes some and than at night closes a lot more.

How did you get so lucky to find a piece of flat live rock? or is it some other type of rock?

thanks!

I actually got really lucky and have had good luck finding flat pieces of live rock (I love the shelves they create in my tank)- but for the clam, I used a piece of putty and molded it into a flat disc shape and let it harden, then just plopped the clam on top of it. He scooted off at first, but once buried in a little more sand, he was happy to stay put. The foot is sort of off to one side, not directly in the center where the hinge is. so from what you're describing, that seems normal. do you have pictures up?? Im a huge clam fanatic. =)

Oh that's sounds like a good idea with the putty. What kind of putty did you use? Like the coral type putty sold in fish stores? or something else?

post-86922-0-28959400-1429545716_thumb.jpg
thecoralbeauty

awwwww yea!!! so awesome!! =)

yes, i used the coral type of putty. worked like a charm.

currently I'm looking into a bunch of different chalice types. so beautiful!!

thecoralbeauty

Take it nice and slow with that Radion. It'll give everything a sunburn if you go too fast.

I've been acclimating up to 30% intensity with it so far and everything has done beautifully! I've also programmed in a few clouds, (not sure if thats just fun or actually beneficial for anything). so far, i'm very pleased.

I've been acclimating up to 30% intensity with it so far and everything has done beautifully! I've also programmed in a few clouds, (not sure if thats just fun or actually beneficial for anything). so far, i'm very pleased.

Who doesn't like some clouds from time to time? I'm in Southern CA, and I would love one or two every now and then.

I don't imagine the programmed clouds have any effect other than being fun. I think you can program lightning storms too, where the bright whites flash on and off.

thecoralbeauty

Who doesn't like some clouds from time to time? I'm in Southern CA, and I would love one or two every now and then.

I don't imagine the programmed clouds have any effect other than being fun. I think you can program lightning storms too, where the bright whites flash on and off.

yea... about the lightening storms...

the cats fled the premises, and then i also tried out the setting that cycles through the different colors, which led to my neighbor asking me later how on earth the party was so quiet and contained. bwahaha. rave in my reef!

is there a way to share the program you design with other people or see any templates for different kinds of reef or goals like growth or coloration? I just ended up playing around and deciding based on what was visually appealing and ended up at 14k when i was exploring the kelvin options based upon what I've learned from previous research. other than that, i have no idea what I'm doing. I feel like I'm a 14 year old with a learner's permit that just inherited a maserati.

yea... about the lightening storms...

the cats fled the premises, and then i also tried out the setting that cycles through the different colors, which led to my neighbor asking me later how on earth the party was so quiet and contained. bwahaha. rave in my reef!

is there a way to share the program you design with other people or see any templates for different kinds of reef or goals like growth or coloration? I just ended up playing around and deciding based on what was visually appealing and ended up at 14k when i was exploring the kelvin options based upon what I've learned from previous research. other than that, i have no idea what I'm doing. I feel like I'm a 14 year old with a learner's permit that just inherited a maserati.

You scared your cats... classic...

Oh yeah, there's a ton of programming options, including modes that were designed and preset by Ecotech. Have you set up your profile on Ecosmartlive?

thecoralbeauty

You scared your cats... classic...

Oh yeah, there's a ton of programming options, including modes that were designed and preset by Ecotech. Have you set up your profile on Ecosmartlive?

by profile I'm assuming you mean the online interface you need to use to program the thing. so yes. theres a lot of pre-set color options, but i haven't seen any other pre-set things ... am i missing them?

Yes, that's what I meant. You probably know all of this stuff already, but here's a snapshot of my profile at 9:00 AM. You can choose a preset mode, and then adjust as you like. You can definitely share your program with other users. I borrowed another person's schedule for a while (email it like a word or excel doc & access through ecosmartlive), until I worked out one that I liked better.

Sorry if this is stuff you already know...I just like drawing arrows!

Ecosmartlive_zpszqih9jdv.jpg

thecoralbeauty

two things.

1- ARROWS! who doesn't love them?

2- I did know all of that, except the "create schedule from template" from the drop down in the upper right hand corner. how the hell did i miss that?!!!

truly, thank you for saving me from my functional incompetence.

thecoralbeauty

I just got home and am about to start messing around with it. i also have a migraine, so this is probably ill-advised, but I'm just too damn excited! those arrows got me pumped. stay tuned!

thecoralbeauty

so, i'm looking at the growth one vs the color one- i always understood that wavelengths had to do with growth vs coloration. what are your thoughts on those two?

thecoralbeauty

Thank you thank you!!

I actually just use live rock and sand, and a HOB filter with carbon and purigen packets stuffed in there. What all do you use and how do you like it? (I'm not married to the HOB method and have toyed with the idea of doing a refugium or something like that, but also was curious about other filtration setups or what better media may work for the current situation) Would you have any ideas or recommendations for me?

Often I've heard that there are two kinds of people in this hobby- the biology aspect fanatics, and the engineering aspect enthusiasts. I tend to be on the biology end of that spectrum, so any sort of tank build idea/knowledge is super appreciated!

I love your rock scape! Your tank is coming together nicely

Was going to say the same thing! You've got some really nice flat rocks in there that make for some sweet placement platforms.

Archived