Cultivated Reef

Starting first pico

ishootdeadppl

ishootdeadppl

Last year I needed to break down a 24G Aquapod I had due to... life. I'm not setting it back up for now for a variety of reasons, but I'm thinking about a pico for the bedroom. I've done a little bit of research (probably far less than I should have but...) and here's what I've decided and what questions I have:

Decided:

• 3-5 gallon (dunno which tank, could be rimmed or rimless, basic one from Petsmart or something like a Fluval)
  • open top (in Vegas, apartment 80-82 in summer, so this is for heat dissipation)
  • zoas and other low light coral
  • some size suited livestock (small goby perhaps, love their personalities!)
  • Strongly prefer all hardware (for the next maybe 6 months at least) below $150, prefer below $100
  • No heater (may change come winter after monitoring), skimmer, controller
  • Most likely no ATO (also might change after monitoring)

Questions:

• Any pitfalls that I need to be aware of?
  • LIGHT (probably biggest question)
  • Best suited livestock
  • Water movement (Hydor Centrifigals perhaps?)
  • Do live rock, live sand, and clean up crew proportions stand true for picos as they do larger tanks?

At least for now I think that's it. Probably the biggest issue is the light. I dunno what lights really have the power for a pico, nor what would be too much. Then throw in the fact that a year from now my 'low light corals' could wind up being SPS or something (because we all know how tank plans go) things might of course change.

I've also read through a few build threads. In particular I was drawn to one by rocksmom (http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/351246-3-gallon-almost-budget-pico-new-fts-and-video-105/) or at least her original plan. Dunno that I'll go bare bottom, but I have to admit the painted bottom looks fantastic!

I appreciate whatever input can be given. I'd really like to stay in budget, especially since I'm not factoring in the money for livestock yet.

Hi ishootdeadppl,

Pico's are incredibly easy to keep, it is always the user that over complicates the process in turn making them unmanageable over time.

In answer to your Questions:

• Any pitfalls that I need to be aware of?

Substrate, it is the biggest collector of detritus in tank. Over time it will become unmanageable. Bare bottom in a Pico is always best when starting out.

• LIGHT (probably biggest question)

Simple Par30 or Par38 globe on a gooseneck or lamp over the tank is more than enough in that small water volume.

• Best suited livestock

Softies and LPS

• Water movement (Hydor Centrifigals perhaps?)

Depending on the size of your tank really, to give you an idea my 2gal Pico has a 80gal HOB filter that provides more than enough flow.

• Do live rock, live sand, and clean up crew proportions stand true for picos as they do larger tanks?

ALL organisms produce waste, even in a clean tank that you do not feed will still produce detritus. Once again to give you an idea, in my 2gal Pico I have 1 small Coral Banded shrimp and two small Turbo snails that keep it spotless without producing unmanageable waste levels (I could probably go down to one single snail actually)

Hope this helps, have a great weekend!

I have 3.7 gallon tank from petco I modified, I went with a par30 led from Coral compulsion and bought a gooseneck type lamp stand from staples that clamps to the night stand. I would say on a small tank it is the cleanest look and provides more than enough light at a minimal cost.

This is my first reef tank and so far it has not been as difficult as most make a pico out to be. I've changed a gallon of water a week and every other day change the filter floss in my little .4 gallon fuge. I also have a yellow clown goby which has a great personality and has hosted some of my zoas.

DSC_0339.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

IMG_20150413_093232.jpg

looking forward to seeing your tank!

ishootdeadppl

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I'm not overcomplicating things, in fact I'm hoping to minimize them. I'd like to keep this rather simple, but we'll see how things go. As an example, my Aquapod was supposed to be a tank and light, it grew to a tank, light, skimmer, sump, chiller, controller... I'm hoping to not have that happen here, my only concerns being heat/evap (it's warm here) and a change in heart later and wanting to expand from low light.

I think the biggest decision I have to make has to do with the lighting. My first option is buying a non reef EcoPico off of Amazon or EBay (I found at least one new if you can believe it!) for like $125, and then spend another $40 or so buying two addition strips of light, going slightly over budget. The second option is what you suggest, though until you answered I didn't know what the lighting needs would be. With a PAR 30 or 38 is there any danger of too MUCH light? If so I'll need to consider that for light placement. Looks like if I went with Coral Compulsion I can get a QUALITY clamp on gooseneck for $50 and then the bulb for $60 if I don't go dimmable. Find a tank and a small pump and I'm good to go on the high side but under my budget.

On the substrate, are you saying that in a pico substrate is bad? I ask because I notice so many here with substrate. I've got to admit that I liked the painted bottom of the tank to simulate it, but I would probably prefer sand (though that's not set in stone and I know it's easier to add in sand later.

ishootdeadppl

OK, looking at things it looks like my budget may just be a bit low to do things right, but not by much. With that in mind (thought I'd like closer to 5G):

Option 1:

• JBJ Picotope

Option 2:

Option 1: $60 and upgrade later

Option 2: $170 and hopefully do it right 'the first time'

It looks like the lighting will be delayed, so I'd wind up with the tank cycling while waiting for the light, which works out fine. Regardless of choice I'll probably paint the tank bottom as rocksmom did allowing me to not worry about a bare bottom if I choose that route.

ishootdeadppl

I read (probably on this forum) that the touch activated lights can NOT be controlled by a timer. If so that would make this tank a no go in my opinion.

ishootdeadppl

Looks like Option 2 will be happening, though I still need to make a final tank decision. Out of curiosity, would an MP10 be too much flow for a 3 gallon? Obviously it'll be turned way down. Figure since I already have one I can use that (at least for now) until I get my bigger tank going.

ishootdeadppl

Final answer:
JBJ Picotope (for now)
AC 70 'fuge with stock JBJ light
Coral Compulsions PAR 30 18K

Realized the MP10 will be too much flow, so I'm hoping the AC 70 will do. Do I need another small powerhead?

Once everything arrives I think I'll paint the bottom like rocksmom did in case I go bare bottom. I think it's far more likely for me to put in sand, but it gives me the flexibility. I've got some live rock that I've been storing (and is hopefully still alive).

Any advice on modding the AC70/light to block light bleeding?

With the PAR 30 I'm guessing I can stock most corals (I imagine there's some that I can't) but I'm still, for now going to focus on lower light, probably a bunch of zoas. Never really got into mushrooms (though that could change with the right one) though rics can be nice.

Fish will certianly be trickier, and may solidify my decision on sand. I'm PROBABLY thinking about a goby, but I'm open. I'd love to hear suggestions for what to put in. I'm also toying with the gpby/pistol shrimp pair, but I'm hesitant because I've never had a pistol before, don't know how loud it really is, and the tank will be in the bedroom.

• 2 weeks later...
hauksanger

I'm curious on how this bare bottom tank will turn out :) Obviously, it seems to be the cleanest option, but it looks a bit... sterile in my opinion. But that's probably because I'd like a goby, and they seem to ned some substrate.

But then again, a yellow clown goby in a tank with a mushroom/xenia/ricordia floor sounds kinda cool :)

ishootdeadppl

I probably will be putting in sand. This leaves options though. As it is now I have a sand look to it, but no actual sand. Should I add sand later (probably get a goby, and as you said...) then I'm out the like $6 for the paint and no harm to the tank. It's just about the options.

hauksanger

Yeah, the logicis impeccable :)

I think I'm gonna try a ricordea-floor tank when I get the 10- gallon going, so I can have BOTH a goby and a no-sand pico :)

Plus, I'm sensing a budding addiction to ricordeas :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived