Pod Your Reef

Brown Jelly on E. Divisa (Frogspawn) - Must save this coral!

ajmckay

Alexraptor

Wow, glad things eventually worked out for you.

But I have to say I'm rather perplexed as to the problems people are having with Wall Euphyllia and at a loss to understand it.

Ive kept a Wall Hammer in my reef for around 4 years now, and its been doing great without any issues, even in times of great stress or less than stellar water quality that have cost the lives of other corals, but its still threatening to outgrow my tank!.

So yeah, I'm at a loss as to why they seem to have such low survival rates on the other side of the great pond. :blink:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But I have to say I'm rather perplexed as to the problems people are having with Wall Euphyllia and at a loss to understand it.

Ive kept a Wall Hammer in my reef for around 4 years now, and its been doing great without any issues, even in times of great stress or less than stellar water quality that have cost the lives of other corals, but its still threatening to outgrow my tank!.

So yeah, I'm at a loss as to why they seem to have such low survival rates on the other side of the great pond. :blink:

Probably a different variety, there's so many variations.

You're a Rockstar

Thanks RF! I appreciate the encouragement!

After reading all of this, I have crossed wall euphyllia off my want list.

Haha! Know that lots of coral are susceptible to brown jelly, but I think it affects LPS and SPS corals (not sure if the SPS version is exactly the same) the worst. Gorgonians and Euphyllia are the most common though. So it can happen equally quickly to branching style frogspawn/hammers... The advantage those corals have is that you can just snap off an infected branch where the wall style is much more difficult to frag thus why I put so much effort into stopping the infection.

It's definitely a good idea to understand fully what you're getting into with this style of coral though! Unfortunately I didn't research enough as having kept frogspawn (branching) previously I thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Pics please!

As I understand it, brown jelly is a phenomenon mostly confined to aquariums - in LPS at least I don't think it's observed in the wild.

Also I was under the impression that it's pretty widespread throughout the world, occurring in Asia and Europe as well. The catalyst for the infection seems to be damage (even slight) during transport or improper fragging. I know that when I purchased this coral it was healthy at the store because I observed it over a 2 week period and it wasn't showing signs of brown jelly so that's why I say it must have been from transport - it was the second coral in a new tank so I don't think it was caused by something that was already in the tank either. Maybe it was just crappy luck...

I'm really glad to hear that yours has done so well! As my showpiece LPS I'm hoping this thing gets gigantic!!! Any tips on helping it grow faster or bigger?

Alexraptor

Most recent Photo I have of mine here is from September last year, will try to take a new one tomorrow after the lights are back on.

15103541980_bcbcec7453_z.jpg

My hammer was sort of doing ok but just lingering for many years, healthy but not really growing.

But things really started to happen when I threw away my powerheads and threw in a Tunze Nanostream stream pump into the tank. I also run a fair sized refugium and skimmer, which allows me to feed rather heavily at times with a generous helping of lobster eggs once or twice a month.

The lobster eggs are incredibly nutritious and seem to promote an incredibly vivid feeding response in the hammer.

That's great to hear that things have turned out well in the end. You are a more patient man than I with this ordeal, but thankfully, you documented everything wonderfully, and we have a reference now of what to do if we see this again.

I think it may be a good idea if you were to condense all of your trials and tribulations with this into another post that we can get stickied so that we have a quick go-to reference.

That's great to hear that things have turned out well in the end. You are a more patient man than I with this ordeal, but thankfully, you documented everything wonderfully, and we have a reference now of what to do if we see this again.

I think it may be a good idea if you were to condense all of your trials and tribulations with this into another post that we can get stickied so that we have a quick go-to reference.

Thanks Evil,

I like that idea, I've started a condensed post that I think will be useful. Hopefully some time next week!

Any update?

Well I think that my post #73 was fairly convincing in showing that the Chloramphenicol treatment worked.

However, as a further update I haven't seen any more brown jelly and the coral is generally doing well! About the only other thing I have yet to do is reduce the flow. If you recall early in the thread I put in another pump (koralia nano or something similar) and pointed it directly at the coral to keep things from settling on it and generally keep it clean. I'll probably reduce the flow a bit though to let it puff up a bit more, I need to experiment a little but I believe these guys like medium-low flow. If the flow is too high the tentacles will stay small otherwise they rub on the sharp skeleton.

Here's a pic from tonight just before lights out:

20150516_225920_zpszmqszzkm.jpg

righttirefire

You're a Rockstar aj. Way to save a coral... you sir are a god of reef keeping and dedication!

• 1 year later...

Hi all, resurrecting an old thread again...

I got a branching euphyllia last week. I thought I placed in a safe position but I think my wavemaker was too strong and injured it over the weekend. I want to do something but I don't want to perform unnecessary treatments and make matters worse.

Is this brown jelly disease, or something else?

post-92028-0-08153000-1479145362_thumb.jpg

Hi all, resurrecting an old thread again...

I got a branching euphyllia last week. I thought I placed in a safe position but I think my wavemaker was too strong and injured it over the weekend. I want to do something but I don't want to perform unnecessary treatments and make matters worse.

Is this brown jelly disease, or something else?

Can't really tell by the picture... BJS acts pretty quickly though and you can usually tell it's turning the area to a brown mush. It does usually start with an injury or some sort of trauma though. Carefully take it out and smell it - if it reeks of nasty then it's probably BJS and I would very carefully cut off that entire affected branch and if possible QT the remainder of the affected frag for a few days.

If you don't wish to disturb it you could use a baster or something and carefully suck some water from right near the dead area and squirt it into a cup. Again if it's BJS it will smell rotten.

I would observe all LPS corals very carefully in the meantime as a precaution.

Cencalfishguy56

Can't really tell by the picture... BJS acts pretty quickly though and you can usually tell it's turning the area to a brown mush. It does usually start with an injury or some sort of trauma though. Carefully take it out and smell it - if it reeks of nasty then it's probably BJS and I would very carefully cut off that entire affected branch and if possible QT the remainder of the affected frag for a few days.

If you don't wish to disturb it you could use a baster or something and carefully suck some water from right near the dead area and squirt it into a cup. Again if it's BJS it will smell rotten.

I would observe all LPS corals very carefully in the meantime as a precaution.

do you still have this wall octospawn? I didn't see it in your tank but I remember this thread lol

do you still have this wall octospawn? I didn't see it in your tank but I remember this thread lol

I sure do! Still the most amazing coral in my tank too due to it's history and it's uniqueness - I rarely see the teal/blue type of frogspawn. And it looks great sitting next to a colony of green branching FS.

I'll have to update with a new pic - but for now I'll show a drawing of it's growth pattern after the BJS.

post-39800-0-82160200-1479184850_thumb.jpg

Cencalfishguy56

I sure do! Still the most amazing coral in my tank too due to it's history and it's uniqueness - I rarely see the teal/blue type of frogspawn. And it looks great sitting next to a colony of green branching FS.

I'll have to update with a new pic - but for now I'll show a drawing of it's growth pattern after the BJS.

FSgrowth.jpg

so awesome! I almost picked up the same one you have in a livesale from aqua SD but went with a teal hammer instead which will be here Thursday!

Archived