Top Shelf Aquatics

A Minimalist Reef

bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn

Very nice tank!

Question, how often does your fire fish come out? I got a Helfrichi couple days ago, and he hides 90% of the time.... lol

My firefish was always hiding, no matter if its feeding time or not, sadly it carpet surfed and I wasnt aware till the next morning. I may possibly go with a purple type or just a different fish alltogether

Sweet set up!

I'm going for the same thing with my tank. Sps dominated. Full tech. I'm interested to see what you think about the vertex skimmer. I bought the same one. Following for sure. :)

So far it hasnt proven a disappointment! its skimming already and i have the waterlevel at 7" with it fully open, its at the neck, i may have to raise it 6" and see how it performs! I hear this skimmer really needs space to work, and a good bio load as well, what are your thoughts? For the price i think this skimmer would be good!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
squirrelieygrrrl

So far I haven't formed any opinions since there is no water in my tank. Though I was surprised at how large the thing is considering the gallon rating! I'll let you know once my tank gets wet.

bobssecrtsn
7/28/15 FTS:

tanks001_zpsobncogdz.jpg

Had some time to take some good pictures with the dslr, I think they came up nicely,

What suprised me is that the tank is really young (almost 4 months in) and everything is growing in nicely!

With all the gadgets installed theres only a few more things I need to do left,

1.install Breakout box and remove tunze ATO

2.install leak detectors (2)

3.relocate live cameras

Garf Bonsai

tanks014_zpsv9mhkhvz.jpg

Of all the stags I've purchased this one was just showing no signs of growth till 2 weeks ago, its encrusted on the base and growing upwards now

tanks0027_zpsfpos00ct.jpg

This red digitata is at the lowest point of the tank, and somehow its popping more red then my RP clear.png

tanks0028_zpsbbhqgxne.jpg

This is my Red planet, maybe i should get another and place it lower and see if they like the lower light spectrum

tanks022_zpsuufhrvll.jpg

Heres a fun fact, you can overdose dipping your montis and have the, STN, the fun part is that they can grow over their dead skeleton!

tanks0026_zpswvkpbu2j.jpg

Why do they call this guy a green slimer?

tanks024_zpsvmqczfyh.jpg

I love how pink lemonade's look from top down!

tanks019_zpsegiocum7.jpg

This guy is my Jaw dropper, I thought I was going to loose this guy from adding to much carbon to my reactor!

tanks018_zpsua2lcnvn.jpg

Check out my hawkins, its sprouting from the base now clear.png

tanks016_zpsad20kvgg.jpg

Another focused on the tips

tanks015_zpsoxcbnhmj.jpg

Heres a millie that was put way in the back, Who wouldve thought this guy would sprout out instead of encrust!

tanks013_zpsg5r1kahm.jpg

My second star pupil, i love the colour this guy is putting out, also in the back of the tank!

tanks012_zpsdslftwlj.jpg

Heres another stag thats colouring up nicely!

tanks0025_zpsfpjpq9t9.jpg

Another stag as well!

tanks023_zpsc0r6tu66.jpg

update 6/1/15

I havent updated in awhile, and alot of things happened!

Lets just put this here FTS June 1st

10.14.1423011_zpsyx4jyytn.jpg

i got 10 new acros from Steve Garrett, on may 25th, so this will be my last batch of sps until RAP. my filefish is in QT at the LFS because it has a fungus on its lip.

1 garf bonsai

1 green slimer

4 different types of stag horns

1 rainbow millie

1 unknown tort

1 red millie

1 purple passion

and 2 freebies monti of some kind?

10.14.1423010_zpsuzcnoqv5.jpg

10.14.1423009_zpsrbj4ymyq.jpg

10.14.1423007_zpsk4qfygyt.jpg

10.14.1423006_zpsak1nkitq.jpg

10.14.1423005_zpscewflnhs.jpg

10.14.1423004_zpsuovkiwgy.jpg

10.14.1423003_zpsgutch2ha.jpg

10.14.1423002_zpsxezglajn.jpg

my wrasse is picking on my blue chromis non stop so i caught the chromis and put him in a bottle to see if the aggression stops,

as for ALK,CA the comsumption is off the charts, i was dosing 7-8 ml when I got my first batch of sps (4) now im at 24ml ALK and counting. my alk went from 7.2 to 6.9 in under 2 nights, i was lucky enough to catch it in time. CA on the other hand went from 4ml to 12 ML daily and rising !

as well as additives I am dosing Pohls Xtra and Coral Virtalizor!

no algae yet, i did have some brown algae on my rocks, so i purchased 2 turbo snails, my tank looks alot cleaner with them 2! since i banished all my hermits down to the sump for the time being.

as for the fish stockings, I am going to wait until the corals color back up, ATM they're already encrusting ! At least i am doing something right!

on the other hand my #2 outlet on my apex JR was acting strange, it kept disconnecting my internet browser when i log on, and while that has gotten resolved all my maintenance logs has gotten wiped clean. I guess i should have kept a back up log somewhere on hand.

Sweet !!
  • 4 weeks later...
Update 8/27/15

FTS: A quick snap

8-2701_zpsnf9acie2.jpg

Not much of an update, I haven't installed the floats nor the leak detectors yet, I have been so lazy with installing thing's I just want to look at the tank. But has far as parameters go, I am dosing 35ml of both B bionic 2 part. I had a precipitation issue but thats now resolved!

Corals beginning to touch

So one of my frags are growing fast, and its about to touch one of the encrusting frags. What should I do? Leave it and let see what will happen?

7/28/15

tanks012_zpsdslftwlj.jpg

8/27/15

8-2705_zpsiincmr7w.jpg

Looking back

The tank has been running for about 5 months now, 3 months with sps corals.

colour of the frags has faded over time, Im not sure if i need to supplment t5 or not. I am still debating. For a 5 month old tank, this is not bad growth. I may even dose iodine, or B- balance from zeovit

Getting Ready for a move

So my lease will be up in December, and I am unsure what will I do with the move, Moving is the toughest with sps, I want to make a game plan prior to the move, either cut the rocks and leave them encrusted 1.5 months before the move, or leave them on the rocks, But Most of the time all of my sps seem to RTN after a move.

Fish list

I always try to increase my bioload buy getting more fish, but everytime a new fish enters the tank, one either has to jump, or get bullied. I lost my male designer clown fish, possibly the female was too aggresive and jumped. but for now I might just stick with 3 fishes, if not get another male clown. and 1 wrasse

Topdown shots

Garf Bonsai

8-2702_zpsee9ruafe.jpg

RedMillie

8-2703_zpsslnkr3iu.jpg

unknown

So this coral, is getting red polyps,green base,blue tips

8-2708_zpskh962yhn.jpg

Pink Lemonade: very very good colours coming out of this frag

8-2710_zpsgbgkyoem.jpg

Hawkins : tips are just growing outwards!

8-2712_zpsiri8pa83.jpg

Millie?

8-2709_zpsl1bnf4ne.jpg

Blue tip tenius

8-2716_zpslw67mndc.jpg

squirrelieygrrrl

The tank is looking great! Keep up the good work. Nice clean pictures, I still need to dig out my dslr and take some real shots of the tank. A few thoughts on the vertex skimmer, I ran it for two weeks with the drain line open and full bore to prime the thing, it didn't really settle in till after about the 2 week mark. Dunno if that will help you or not.

My color faded in my display when I let phosphate go from about 0.03 to 0.06 by turning off my GFO reactor. Try running GFO (if you dont already) and also dosing Acropower. Faded colors are almost always a nutrient issue it seems.

Love the stags, going to look sick in a year or two.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Wow its been 2 whole months
fts 10-27-15
8-2720_zpsptpjale1.jpg
Time flies when your lease is about to end! I found a place and I will be moving on the 1st week of November.
I will be preparing to move, so this will probably be the last update for quite some time maybe..
Update 10.27.15
Lighting
I Kind of joined the T5 club. I purchased 2 sets of the Miro t5 kit, built a canopy and installed the radion with the t5, It came out looking spectacular!
5B9DF3F6-F327-42E0-83D7-05A01ECED29A_zps
8-2741_zpszxjwdzue.jpg
The reason to supplimenting t5 are obvious, I was not happy with the colours of my frags, after several months of waiting and messing with my radions, I took the bullet and never looking back!
Fishtank update
Since I my room will be smaller i decided to make my stand bigger, 48x18x34 in stainless steel
I still have to Paint the wood but this is what it will look like. with trims of course :dance:
2FE12535-23D5-4808-B5F4-D547EB38D056_zps
99AAA5DE-63B2-4B28-B47B-91F32A3B3C50_zps
The reason being is I want to put all of my equipment inside the stand and have access to all 3 sides, Hopefully in the near future I will find myself a 48x18x18 penninsula tank :thumbsup:
Coral
I've only had the T5 setup for possibly 2 weeks, and its been a significant witch craft happening to my corals, its amazing what t5 can do! it seems like the extra light floods the tank with lighting so there isn't any shading either!
As well, these top down shots were 2 weeks ago but the rest are today's shooting, I did not have time to update ya'll!
Does anyone know why after adjusting pictures and uploading it, the final quality isnt as good as when you adjust it?
Pink Lemonade
8-2724_zps1uol8pks.jpg
Hawkins
8-2723_zpsndmtvwvz.jpg
Garf Bonsai
8-2722_zpsfzik6ppo.jpg

This piece is the stag in the center of the tank, its hard to capture since its growing towards the front of the glass
8-2725_zpsirtcgo9x.jpg
This millie tips are starting to get funky, I assume theres to much flow..
8-2726_zpsumztarpp.jpg
Heres my piece of a Red Dragon. this is actually a fast grower. TBH
8-2731_zpsozxwcsb5.jpg
Blue tip tenius
8-2733_zpszgo8gege.jpg
Red millie is actually sprouting out!
8-2721_zps0tzd9ld6.jpg
Red planet is getting some color back
8-2736_zpsdnzudupm.jpg
Some top down shots!
8-2717_zpszxpsrndg.jpg
8-2707_zps8egfepqu.jpg
8-2708_zpszbxignd1.jpg8-2712_zps7hz4v48d.jpg
unknown acro
8-2706_zpszajtw98s.jpg

Wow! T5's+LEDs=happy coral. I think I'm just going to change back to T5's again and just get rid of the LEDs, I'll use a reef bright am and pm to get the pop and to transition. Your tank and sps game are on point. Great job!

• 2 months later...
Update 1/11/16

DBEA0DEC-C40D-4C7E-9BC9-CF82428C67B6_zps

First and foremost, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years to everyone, I hope things went smoothly for whomever went on vacation!

I have not updated this thread as much as I should, I will try more to post at least twice a month,

That being said, I have upgraded from a Versa 42gallon to a Leemar 80Gallon, The transfer was done in November and everything is going smoothly, I built the stand and Have not gotten around to doing the doors yet!

tank02_zpsb4btzgvi.jpg

620BF2D6-43F0-46DC-B7F9-CBC67144F576_zps

New equipment has been added to the new tank,

1. Vortech Vectra M1
  2. ATI dimmable 6 bulb
  3. Upgraded Vortech mp40 QD wetsides
  4. new macro rocks but somehow still manage to have pest in the tank
Christmas/New year's vacation

Christmas was coming and I was going to be away for 1.5 weeks, My wife knew I was going to freak out every minute when I was gone, so she told me to get everything I needed ready,

1. 30gallon ATO container
  2. 3 webcams
  3. automated feeder

The day before we were about to leave, I check my webcams, BAM! no lights? Must be power failure on the fixture, turn them off for a few minutes and back on. NO GO! Tell the wife we have code RED and have to go home ASAP! Get to the house and find out the ATI fixture is stuck in test mode:facepalm:, I come to find out that the display module went bad, searched around for anyone that carries it and come to find out, ReefGeek warehouse that shut down has reopened to a distributor, they happily told me to drive to LA, Pay cash and Its mine. Took the entire next day to drive from San Diego to LA back to San Diego repair the unit, :lolspin: lets just say my wife was not happy!

After the trip I come home and find everything is happy, fish are alive, and corals are ****ed, there can be 1 or 2 reasons.

• no suppliments for 1.5 weeks
  • I was burning up my corals

I figure it must've been both, Water was stripped of nutrients, and only feeding the tank 3 times a day with flakes/ shutting the skimmer off for 6 hours was not enough!:headwally:

INHABITANTS

2 fish for a total of 100 gallon tank was not enough for me, I want the water to be filthy, The wife wanted a "blue tang" I tell her my tank isn't big enough, She laughs and spits out "you just upgraded and now your saying its not big enough?:hammer:"

She screams at the top of her lungs, I WANT MY FISH! well lets just say I had to get one, looks like a bigger tank is in order....:twitch:

My yellow tang did not like dory very much, Kept attacking and would not share the tank at all, Told my friend to keep my tang until I upgrade and we agree'd He would if I cut him a frag of each of my corals. So off the yellow tang is now gone.

1. Flasherwrasse
  2. 2 leopard wrasse's
  3. Dory
  4. 1 clown fish

For now this shall be it until I find some Yellow Coris wrasse's. Possibly a school of anthias/blue chromis.

CE2579FD-6290-46D3-B1F1-9DC1E08724F5_zps

equipment

IGOTCORALS was a reef shop in my area that was closing down, I decided to stop by and see what was left. I spent a total of 50$

1. 2 seaside aquatic reactors
  2. 1 BIG flipper mag algae scraper
  3. LED refugium light
  4. 2 goniporias
  5. corner frag rack and 20 plugs
  6. DD magnifying glass/scope/and some odds and ends

after getting home I got to work/ cleaned up the reactors and added the matrix I had in my sump. now all I have to do is shake the reactor and its done! Flipper mag is so much thinner and stronger then my old glass cleaner, I think I got a really good deal on this!

These are from the DD magnifying glass and photographed on my Iphone 5

2D76057A-54EE-4A4E-ACA0-A8A05A223B30_zps

1B496A15-60E5-4D65-8DF8-24D7BE12D4CA_zps

E90A619F-C248-40FD-8A59-DAB2047662F8_zps

suppliments

I am taking Sahin's advice and now I'm dosing 6 different things,

• reef roids/frozen foods
  • pohls extra
  • B Balance
  • Coral Virtalizer
  • Salifert Amino's

Not all at once but divided throughout the week. I want to try to dose these items with a doser, but some needs to be fridged, and some shaken which I wish i had a mini fridge..

Husbandry

With all the nutrients in the tank, I will try to do a 5 gallon waterchange every other day, or at least every Tuesday and Thursday's. with Filter sock changed every Tuesdays and Fridays.

In the end, I hope I will notice deeper colour's in corals and a healthier system overall. Also I've started to add sand to the tank, Every waterchange there will be about acouple scoops into the tank! hopefully I will have it filled by the end of the month. P/S no photo's till next week!

Cheer's

Nice upgrade, looks like the whole process went well. Besides the light failing when you were on vacation, glad you were able to fix it though.

• 1 month later...

Nice upgrade, looks like the whole process went well. Besides the light failing when you were on vacation, glad you were able to fix it though.

thanks! It went better then What couldve happened if there wasnt any light!

Update 2/12/16
I tried reducing the Dino's by cutting back time, Blasting rocks with flow, etc. They just keep coming back, Maybe its because of a new tank, I don't know.
Last night while I was siphoning debris I turned off the return valve to the tank, I was suppose to shut off the valve to the reactors! As I was siphoning out I smelt a smell of a skunk, Didnt think much of it so I kept siphoning, Looked down and all i can see was water draining out of my sump, :sad2:
My skimmer overflowed and dumped about 2-3 weeks worth of dark nasty skimmate back to the water, Needless to say I had to do a WC, and let the skimmate run its course to try and skim it all back.
Now that I did a WC my Dino's are coming back. I really hated myself that I had to do that waterchange, But the water smelt like a dead zebra on fire :deadhorse1:
Corals seemed effected to the polluted water, Must've risen my p04-n03 up.
I feel like I'm at square one of all of this mess.
I bought a coral viewer, pictures are a ton better then what it was!
Note: reduced brightness and sharpen imaged only, No color was enhanced.
This millie has gotten red coralites now, Originated from Steve Garret Acropolis
tankk01_zpssdawlsed.jpg
This cant be a SCC. but colouration begs to differ
tankk03_zpsfapsc06y.jpg
Pink Lemonade
tankk06_zpsgiajdukv.jpg
Real SCC
tankk10_zpsd9qahm5t.jpg
Remember that red millie I had a few months back? Changed in colour real fast.
tankk05_zpsblof0gac.jpg
Blue tip tenius
tankk08_zpswnq3mkhu.jpg
One of my maximas clams next to a tort
tankk07_zpsiapt5rga.jpg
Another
tankk17_zpswtb1lqly.jpg
Another SCC
tankk15_zpsgziu7ess.jpg
And my very old tank, a few years back
IMG_3152.jpg
Thats it folks, Dino's will be taking over. And my corals will no longer look like these :rolleye1:
  • 2 weeks later...

2/21/16

No Pictures, Just an update.

I got my ATI hybrid from Dave the other day, 6bulbs + 6 arrays = one powerful light Ill be acclimating the LEDS at 30-45 % @ 7" above the waterline.

In other news I just picked up a trio of lyretail anthia's today Now just acclimating them to the tank and hopefully everything will go smoothy :)

2/22/16 FTS

fishes07_zpsvgyfwigi.jpg

All anthias are eating mysis so far so its a good start! I never took pictures of fishes, They're very easy to take Maybe they like taking selfies :wub:

Male Anthias

fishes02_zpsme7pnnmj.jpg

Heres an attempt that the chromis's thought they were going to get fed :P

fishes06_zps1pizf2dt.jpg

No more dinos? Looks great!

Theres still Dino's Alot less then before. It might be because I accidently dumped a half cup of dark skunky smelling skimmate in the water, I think it might be because of a new tank is just doing its normal cycling process. It is after a 2 months old tank. as far as snails go, I think my turbo's and asterails snails are eating them up.

love the scape, love your fish choices. very nice!

your male anthias is a lot pinker than mine. mine is dark red still. did you get it as a male or did it turn in your tank?

I bought it as is, I think theres just different forms of male anthias, I prefer more of the red type, I'm hoping if I feed the fish more vitamins and such it'll get a deeper red color. How long have you had yours?

Nice fish pics and wow, you got a bigger tank! And looking to upgrade even more?

I always wanted a peninsula tank, it will sure be my last tank and the perfect/right build :rolleyes:

I bought it as is, I think theres just different forms of male anthias, I prefer more of the red type, I'm hoping if I feed the fish more vitamins and such it'll get a deeper red color. How long have you had yours?

had mine for about 4 months now. sadly, one female passed away recently and another female is on her way out. debating whether to get more lyretails or sell the male.

had mine for about 4 months now. sadly, one female passed away recently and another female is on her way out. debating whether to get more lyretails or sell the male.

Usually Males are aggressive towards the females, I so I heard, that's why its advised to get 3:1 ratio to disperse the aggression, How often do you feed them? 3:1 in my QT tank for a month and they got along

Usually Males are aggressive towards the females, I so I heard, that's why its advised to get 3:1 ratio to disperse the aggression, How often do you feed them? 3:1 in my QT tank for a month and they got along

they get fed 2x a night on weekdays and 3x a day on weekends. they all seem to get along but one by one the females stopped eating. I dosed prazipro so hopefully that will fix whatever issue they are having.

Archived