inTank Media Baskets

Spring Water – water top-up question

matt1977

Im contemplating using spring water for a top-up as its getting difficult to access distilled or RO water for me (long story). I'm sure i will get a few comments that RO water is always the best to use.

I only have softies for corals, 1 lonesome Dottyback, Halymenia, and a clean up crew (2x hermits, 2x Cerith).

I've tested the spring water that Im intending to use and the TDS reading is coming in at 30-40. I tested the spring water for phosphates and its coming in at 0.05ppm. My Nano always has detectable level of phosphates - very low and sometimes down to Zero, but I do have a good amount of macro algae (Halymenia) in the display...

I will test the Spring water for Ammonia, Nitrites and nitrates ASAP just to see where it sits.

My tank is a 60ltr cube. 20% Water changes occurs every 2 weeks with pre bought salt water.

My tank evaps about 700ml per week.

Considering I'm only putting 700ml of water a week as top up and do 20% water change every 2 weeks, do you all think I can getaway with using spring water for top up? I know there's only one way to find out...

You'll get more algae that way for sure. No store carries distilled? Of course I don't know if you're in the US or not but all grocery stores carry distilled water for like .99 .

I would be concerned about what makes up your 30 to 40 ppm reading. Copper along with other nasty stuff can be found in spring water.

You'll get more algae that way for sure. No store carries distilled? Of course I don't know if you're in the US or not but all grocery stores carry distilled water for like .99 .

That's what I'm thinking... I do have macro algae growing in the display tank to help with nitrates and phosphates levels...

I've always detectable phosphate in my nano, but never had a nasty algae issues - Im putting it down to my Halymenia out competing the nasty types of algae.

Im in Sydney AUS - our supermarkets here to carry distilled water... but it's always sold out :(

I would be concerned about what makes up your 30 to 40 ppm reading. Copper along with other nasty stuff can be found in spring water.

That is the mystery.

I'd tell your grocery store manager to order more, let him know how much you rely on it. Maybe they'll start ordering more.

Do it and you will find out. Let us know how it goes.

Hahah... There are only 2 results I will get out of this. I will either post a message in the next month or so with the title "HELP, HOW DO I GET MY PHOSPHATE LEVELS DOWN ASAP?" or "SO FAR SO GOOD!"

I've checked it out, and Sydney and the surrounding area were once a coral reef. That means the spring water should be just fine for top off. Unlikely to have copper, nickel or other nasty metals in it. I would still check nitrite, nitrate and phosphate to be sure.

Jellyingabout

Or buy yourself a cheep 3phase RODI filter, for 50bucks and install it under your sink and live like a king.

I know your expecting RODI comments and your really just after an answer to using spring water but if your buying your SW as well you really would save money and time with something small and cheap. They are just so easy, the cheap fleabay ones don't last long but with your water volumes they will be just fine.

I wouldn't use spring water. If distilled water isn't always available, buy a RO/DI unit and make your own pure water. I'm pretty sure I've seen posts about units available on eBay from down under.

Jellyingabout

+1 for RODI not just RO.

I would go as far as to say the DI resin is much more important than the RO membrane. The RO membrane just lengthens the life of you DI resin.

But don't worry if you bought just a RO unit. A standard DI filter can be added to it.

RO is better than spring water. However, RO/DI is better than just RO.

I've checked it out, and Sydney and the surrounding area were once a coral reef. That means the spring water should be just fine for top off. Unlikely to have copper, nickel or other nasty metals in it. I would still check nitrite, nitrate and phosphate to be sure.

Huh? Makes absolutely no logical sense.

How does it not make sense? The Great Barrier Reef extended over what is now Sydney. The land under Sydney for hundreds of feet down is live reef rock. Spring water is being filtered through the live rock for hundreds of feet before coming to the surface as spring water.

I do not mean to thread hyjack, but is there a reasonably inexpensive RO/DI unit that in generally accepted as being decent enough quality to be used in saltwater applications without cause for concern?

I ask because as it is I am looking at spending around $20 a month on RO/DI saltwater. While that is not terrible by any means, if for the same amount I can get myself all the equipment I need to make it myself for under $250 a year, I might consider it.

Jellyingabout

RODI filters are very simple and the stages are pretty much interchangeable. So don't pay out too much, buy a good RO membrane, with plenty of gallons for its life and your good to go. DI resin is pretty much all the same. So all in all there aren't really and "bad" RODI filters, they are such a simple bit of kit.

But don't worry if you bought just a RO unit. A standard DI filter can be added to it.

RO is better than spring water. However, RO/DI is better than just RO.

Thank you - yes, it's just an RO unit kit. But a DI filter can be added to it.

I ordered too.

AZDesertRat

They don't come any better than this for only $125:

http://spectrapure.com/Refurbished-90-GPD-RODI-System

Its not just the membrane that is important, if you don't protect that membrane with good sedimen tand carbon block filters it won't last and you cheap investment just grew. A RO or RO/DI is a complete system, start to finish and each component or filter depends on the quality and performance of what is in front of it. Look for a system with low micron, absolute or near absolute sediment can carbon block filters, a name brand RO membrane such as the Dow Filmtec 75 GPD (Spectrapure membranes start out as the Dow 75 and are improved upon), a full size 20 oz vertical refillable DI filter, an inline pressure gauge and a capillay tube flow restrictor you the end user can adjust to suit your exact water conditions. A good handheld ATC TDS meter will tell you how well it is working and when to change the membrane and the DI.

Jellyingabout

They don't come any better than this for only $125:

http://spectrapure.c...GPD-RODI-System

phhoar you guy seems to be paying through the teeth for filters in the US. I can get my hands on a full 4 stage filter with all its plumbing bit for £40 ($60)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Stage-RO-DI-Reverse-Osmosis-Filter-Tropical-and-Marine-Fish-50-75-100-GPD-/161638135406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item25a262366e

AZDesertRat

And you are getting about $60 worth of filter, not the same quality. Look at the 5 micron nominal rated sediment filter, Granular activated carbon taste and odor filter versus a solid extruded 1 micron 12,000 gallon carbon block, unspecified membrane and little dinky horizontal hollow tube they call a DI filter. Then its all clipped together and it has no pressure gauge and a fixed flow restrictor. About $60 worth of cobbled up parts similar to the Mighty Mite and other systems sold here on ebay. No comparison at all.

I'd tell your grocery store manager to order more, let him know how much you rely on it. Maybe they'll start ordering more.

maybe they can call you when they are expecting a shipment

• 2 weeks later...
fishfreak0114

I think that spring water is fine. I use tap for top offs and water changes and I barely have any algae. I know rodi is better but I can't afford it

Archived