Innovative Marine Aquariums

Please help me ID these!

neratka6

The big white thing above could be a sponge of some kind, hard to tell. The bottom one doesn't have the ticking in the tentacles to look like aptasia but it could maybe be a majano perhaps but most majanos look like they have a bulb at the ends- so...don't know.

Jellyingabout

Poke the white thing, does it close up?

yes = tunicate, a good guy and a really cool one if you can keep it alive.

no = sponge, also a good guy just not as cool

Poke the next one, does it retract extremely fast.

yes = It's a dirty little aiptasia that needs to burn in hell.

no = some other nem, defiantly not a majano, but most likely a pest.

Thanks for the details. The white guy didn't close up unfortunately so I'm assuming it's just a weird form of sponge. I was afraid the other was a Aiptasia so I read online you could take the rock out and drip White Vinegar on it to kill it, so I did and it is gone today.

terrible aiptasia test no offense, best look at color tentacle proportions the base, and the tentacle shape. This isn't aiptasia since it's tentacles are too pale for one thing

Also aiptasia like a little more spread space when not hiding

Jellyingabout

terrible aiptasia test no offense, best look at color tentacle proportions the base, and the tentacle shape. This isn't aiptasia since it's tentacles are too pale for one thing

Also aiptasia like a little more spread space when not hiding

Its not the only test, but one that's pretty reliable when you can't see the siphonoglyphs like above. Colour and tentacle proportions are poor tests considering they change with age and health. Their are now 21 recognised species of aiptasia. I dunno why people insist on their own type of aip being the only one, or that all aips are brown when most are infact clear. Small actinarians can be almost impossible to ID correctly when young and predominantly colourless without getting them under the microscope. The strong rapid recoil of aiptasia is quite unique to them and something the majority of aiptasia share species share.

Its not the only test, but one that's pretty reliable when you can't see the siphonoglyphs like above. Colour and tentacle proportions are poor tests considering they change with age and health. Their are now 21 recognised species of aiptasia. I dunno why people insist on their own type of aip being the only one, or that all aips are brown when most are infact clear. Small actinarians can be almost impossible to ID correctly when young and predominantly colourless without getting them under the microscope. The strong rapid recoil of aiptasia is quite unique to them and something the majority of aiptasia share species share.

I meant tentacle proportions as the 2 lengths of tentacles in medium to mature individuals that is quite easily noticed, I have a few now with even small hints of green around the mouth but those are my biggest specimens. I have several variants in my tank of the little fellows but species differences don't particularly show until they're bigger. Good point also of the fact they are quite clear when smaller. True the rapid recoil is not as common in other anemones but it still exists in others. And I've seen some individuals have slow recoils when they have been fed a ton or fresh introduced in a new tank.

Archived