Coral Vue Hydros

IM Ghost Skimmer

LebaneseDlight

LebaneseDlight

I've got to say, I reallllllly love my Ghost Skimmer. It's been in action for about 3 weeks now. The micro bubbles stopped after a week (I didn't prime the unit with vinegar or anything). It's been the easiest skimmer to dial in. It's quiet enough (makes some noise, especially without the skimmer cup in place) - but so has every other skimmer I've ever had. I love the way it looks. It fits perfectly in my IM Fusion 20. And I've been getting this kind of skimmate every three days: image.jpg

FlamingPrawn

Do you consider that watery? I've been trying to get some thicker stuff from mine. but i agree. i 100% approve. The micro bubble issue people talk about is non existent. I think what happens in when people move their skimmer the pump comes off underneath. Def. check that out!

LebaneseDlight

Yes, I would definitely say I skim on the wet side. It's not the dark green skimmate. But it smells sooo nasty. Just on smell alone, I know it's pulling some nasty sh!t.

Steensj2004

I had a hard time liking mine to much. For a nano skimmer it was pretty great. My micro bubbles NEVER went away. Even IM customer service couldn't figure it out. The noise can be almost completely removed by closing the air valve 100% and then opening just a little bit, worked for mine. It did pull out some good gunk, I just couldn't remedy that darn micro bubble issue.

I like mine and have it running in my Fusion 10g for about a month. The skimmate is watery, but that could be due to the way I have mine set up.

I think my collection cup is positioned too low. I'm going to experiment by changing the height of the cup until I get the desired effect. (I originally gave an incorrect explanation for altering the cup height and have edited my remarks. I suggest reading this article about skimming that was written by Randy Holmes-Farley.)

The one design change that I'd make is to change the overflow elbow from its current angle of 90 degrees to one of about 45 degrees. That way it would be easier to attach a runoff tube. I had to mod mine so that an overflow runoff tube could be attached without having the tube kink.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I haven't been to happy with mine, I feel like if my water level fluctuates any bit I have to adjust my skimmer. I am about to get an ATO which might fix my issue. I have it in an AIO 34 gallon Solana tank which it the skimmer fits almost perfectly. The micro bubbles were annoying but have almost subsided.

reefernanoman

I haven't been to happy with mine, I feel like if my water level fluctuates any bit I have to adjust my skimmer. I am about to get an ATO which might fix my issue. I have it in an AIO 34 gallon Solana tank which it the skimmer fits almost perfectly. The micro bubbles were annoying but have almost subsided.

Yeah, constant water level has to be constant in order for skimmers to work correctly and that can only be achieved with an ATO. I still like mine after about a year.

Yeah, constant water level has to be constant in order for skimmers to work correctly and that can only be achieved with an ATO. I still like mine after about a year.

How is the noise level on yours? I would love to get one for my fusion 10, but i have heard mixed reviews about the noise it produces.

I love having a near silent setup.

reefernanoman

How is the noise level on yours? I would love to get one for my fusion 10, but i have heard mixed reviews about the noise it produces.

I love having a near silent setup.

It produces more noise than my MP10 or my light. I have the air valve opened just enough to let air in and that helps quiet down the noise considerably.

Archived