ReefCleaners.org

[HELP] What filtration for Fluval Spec V?!

KuyasNanoReef

KuyasNanoReef

Hey guys!!

Whether you've seen my tank build or not, I've been debating on the BEST, yet SIMPLE, way to filter my tank... Currently I am using the stock filter with CPE and Purigen but I was wondering what I should be using.

I was thinking about changing an AquaClear300 into a fuge but I feel like it would be very bulky and unsightly.. Maybe hanging it on the "back" and putting the intake into the filter chamber?

I also was thinking about a canister filter... but have no idea on which one looks the best, and is actually the best for my size tank!

Please help):

InTank's media basket is a rather popular option, and works a great deal better than the stock Fluval Spec V foam thingy.

KuyasNanoReef

I love my little Fluval 106 canister on my spec V! Check out my build thread if you haven't already. I need to post some more pictures soon!

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/359080-sedatedlabmonkeys-spec-v-marine-orbit-led/

yeah man I've been following your thread for awhile now!! I was thinking about getting that same canister filter because I wanted to put a Mame Nano Skimmer in the back filter chamber and then maybe a MaxiJet 900 to replace the stock pump instead of putting a big bulky power head inside the display part..

you think this would work?

Hey guys!!

Whether you've seen my tank build or not, I've been debating on the BEST, yet SIMPLE, way to filter my tank... Currently I am using the stock filter with CPE and Purigen but I was wondering what I should be using.

I was thinking about changing an AquaClear300 into a fuge but I feel like it would be very bulky and unsightly.. Maybe hanging it on the "back" and putting the intake into the filter chamber?

I also was thinking about a canister filter... but have no idea on which one looks the best, and is actually the best for my size tank!

Please help):

I am the same as you, I don't want lot's of stuff running in my tank. @_@ Just want everything to be as simple and easy to use as possible. For my aquarium, I found the simplest combo, especially for that size tank, is Marine Pure + Poly-filter. With enough Marine Pure, you don't have to worry about ammonia, nitrite AND nitrate. Poly-filter takes care of phosphates, alongside water changes. I use a block of Marine Pure, and just a bit of Poly-filter every month or so. Works like a charm. And don't have to even worry, the Poly-filter is easy to replace, whilst the Marine Pure just sits there, don't even need to be cleaned.

I know, sounds a bit too good lol. XD But that's technology these days. :) I didn't even have live rock in my aquarium actually, thanks to that combo. Which affords you more space in your display if you want it.

KuyasNanoReef

I am the same as you, I don't want lot's of stuff running in my tank. @_@ Just want everything to be as simple and easy to use as possible. For my aquarium, I found the simplest combo, especially for that size tank, is Marine Pure + Poly-filter. With enough Marine Pure, you don't have to worry about ammonia, nitrite AND nitrate. Poly-filter takes care of phosphates, alongside water changes. I use a block of Marine Pure, and just a bit of Poly-filter every month or so. Works like a charm. And don't have to even worry, the Poly-filter is easy to replace, whilst the Marine Pure just sits there, don't even need to be cleaned.

I know, sounds a bit too good lol. XD But that's technology these days. :) I didn't even have live rock in my aquarium actually, thanks to that combo. Which affords you more space in your display if you want it.

how did you place the Marine Pure into the filter chamber? did you need a media basket? also with the poly filter...

how did you place the Marine Pure into the filter chamber? did you need a media basket? also with the poly filter...

With the Marine Pure I just cut it up to size and add it to one of the available chambers in my aquarium. The more of the chamber it fills up, the better. Try to let ALL water run through it if possible. Poly-filter, same, just cut it up and then add it towards the end, near the return pump, in a way that all the water ran through it.

KuyasNanoReef

With the Marine Pure I just cut it up to size and add it to one of the available chambers in my aquarium. The more of the chamber it fills up, the better. Try to let ALL water run through it if possible. Poly-filter, same, just cut it up and then add it towards the end, near the return pump, in a way that all the water ran through it.

thanks so much!! you're welcome to check out my build and follow along(:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/359045-tankprofile-kuyas-nano-tank-journey/#entry4990355

Archived