SaltCritters.com

Dr Tim's consuming nitrates?

Steve973

After a battle of dinoflagellates that just wasn't worth it, I tore my IM 20 down and set it back up again with dry rock and arag-alive sand. I added Dr. Tim's One and Only and placed my 2 small percula clowns in there, and fed them as usual. After about a week, I had .25 ppm ammonia, and zero nitrites and zero nitrates. This trend continued through week two. Now, at week three, the ammonia is registering zero, and the nitrites and nitrates are still at zero. I am only using seagel in my reactor, so I do not have any media that will absorb nitrates. I have also been adding (weekly) small doses of two other Dr Tim's products: eco-balance and waste-away, just for the microbe diversity. I have cycled several tanks, and I haven't seen this before where nitrate is simply being consumed.

PathOfDeception

I started a new tank with Dr Tim's and I had low ammonia, then 0 and a big nitrite spike, some nitrates and cycle ended.

Sounds odd to me but I'm sure more experienced reefers will chime in.

• 2 weeks later...

Same here with Dr. Tim's in a Freswater 3.5Gal fishless cycle. Two weeks of zero nitrites and zero nitrates. I am assuming on week three it will be the same as you OP... ammonia will register zero, and the nitrites and nitrates, still at zero. Thats where i'm headed. Anyone else chime in here for help, it would be appreciated.

In my experience of cycling dry rock, I had zero ammonia and nitrite within 3 weeks! That's with dead, dry, dirty rock. This was with One and Only.

I used Dr Tims to cycle my nano with dry rock. Ammonia and nitrites both spiked and went to zero and nitrates went off the charts. After adding Dr Tims waste away in few days everything was zero. Stuff works great.

Archived