Top Shelf Aquatics

Arson's Fluval Spec V

Arson

SG finally down to 1.025 according to this hydrometer. I have a refractometer on the way from Amazon that should arrive Friday. I think this will do until then.

In other news my zoa appears to be disintegrating in some parts, while others seem like they might make it. I'd share a photo, but I guess it's rather embarrassing at this point. In any case, at least I'm on the right track now. I'll try to post an FTS in the next day.

cmccorkle2005

SG finally down to 1.025 according to this hydrometer. I have a refractometer on the way from Amazon that should arrive Friday. I think this will do until then.

In other news my zoa appears to be disintegrating in some parts, while others seem like they might make it. I'd share a photo, but I guess it's rather embarrassing at this point. In any case, at least I'm on the right track now. I'll try to post an FTS in the next day.

Hey man we all make mistakes in this hobby - believe me I have made some doosies. I'm glad your salinity is down - I bet your corals will recover eventually once things stabilize.

Just updating to say I went to my LFS to see if they had a pistol shrimp or goby I was interested in. They did not, but I decided to pick up an Emerald Crab. I didn't have any intention of adding any additional crabs to my setup, but I took out my Hydor power head about 10 days ago to circulate a few buckets of saltwater I was creating. In that time, I had a huge explosion of cyanobacteria and algae. I'm pretty sure it was the reduced flow that created these circumstances as my water parameters (including phosphates) are all in line.

The crab was happily munching away on some of the algae and I snapped this photo:

17259726806_ce9de2c51f_c.jpgNew Emerald Crab by jeztor, on Flickr

I also snapped this new FTS:

16665434033_8642f7ba66_c.jpgFTS 04/27/15 by jeztor, on Flickr

Ouch, salinity is a tough one. I personally don't mix my water for my Spec V as it's such a small tank I can just buy premixed SW which has calcium already in it. It's a bit pricy but it means my water will always be the same no matter what - and it's very simple.

Glad you got it sorted out though man, looking good! Needs more pics! :D :D :D

Tank looks good! Do emerald crabs stay small?

I've read they can grow up to a few inches in shell width, but generally they seem to stay quite small. This one's time in my aquarium may be limited to a few months unless he keeps plenty to eat. He's tearing through the algae pretty good. I'm sure he's pretty happy in there.

Also, thanks!

Ouch, salinity is a tough one. I personally don't mix my water for my Spec V as it's such a small tank I can just buy premixed SW which has calcium already in it. It's a bit pricy but it means my water will always be the same no matter what - and it's very simple.

Glad you got it sorted out though man, looking good! Needs more pics! :D :D :D

I don't plan to do any dosing unless I have problems with trace nutrients, which is why I'm mixing my own salt with Red Sea Coral Pro. The issue was that I thought my specific gravity was just fine, but that refractometer was just no good. We couldn't even get it calibrated properly.

I have a new refractometer I got last Friday for about $30 on Amazon. It works just fine, and things are back to normal.

I'll definitely post some more pictures! I've got a zoa I'd like to see if folks can tell me may or may not make it.

Lucky your emerald is eating your algae. My tank is having quite a bit of hair algae and I saw him eat a bit the first day and I haven't seen him since for like a week now. I can't believe how well he can hide in such a small tank.

Lucky your emerald is eating your algae. My tank is having quite a bit of hair algae and I saw him eat a bit the first day and I haven't seen him since for like a week now. I can't believe how well he can hide in such a small tank.

He has certainly been more MIA the last 48 hours than the first 24, but each day I see a bit less and less algae all over.

Archived