Cultivated Reef

SPOON FED EM1's 40B Tank Build

Spoon Fed EM1

Spoon Fed EM1

hey everyone,

my name is Phi(fee). i've been n00bing it around here lately. now i'm finally getting able to start on my 40B project after what feels like a lifetime of saving up the funds for this! so i hope i'm able to do it correctly. i'm upgrading from a 20L to a 40B.

so here's how the tank sits as of now. i'm still messing with the aquascape and still gonna grab some more rock i think and i'm debating whether to keep it with a blue or black background, right now it's blue...

20150410_215239-1_zps6oipsdci.jpg

Parts List

• 40B Tank
  • EcoTech Marine Radion XR30W G3 LED Light Fixture
  • EcoTech Marine TIR Wide Angle Lens
  • EcoTech Marine RMS Radion Mounting System
  • EcoTech Marine VorTech MP40wQD x 2
  • EcoTech Marine Reef Link (i feel like i should be sponsored by them or something LOL)
  • Coral Life 36" T5 HO 420 Actinic x 2
  • CPR AquaFuge2 HOB Refugium with Light
  • Reef Octopus Classic 2000 Protein Skimmer
  • 125W Eheim JAGER Aquarium Heater
  • Bulk Reef Supply 4 Stage RO/DI 75GPD System

Stock List

• Helfrichi Firefish - *** On The Way ***
  • 2 x Bali Aquarich Black Picasso *** Quarantine ***
i'm actually on the hunt for some nice males for these two clowns...

3"

Female_zpsyaeyzqvs.png

2.5"

Male_zpswjh9s862.png

i'm gonna run miracle mud and chaetomorpha in the refugium for some copepod action or whatever. i plan to also have 40lbs of rock and 40lbs of live sand. i'm still debating on what corals to have, but at the moment i'm definitely leaning towards only a few pieces. maybe 2 acros, 2 lps and a ricordia. but that's it for now, i'll post up photos of all the parts in a couple days, i'm being quite bum right now to unbox everything and take photos lol

i'm also open up to any advice and tips you guys can give, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Thanks y'all

-Phi

SomethingIsFishy

That stand looks a little sketchy to me. A 40 breeder setup is gonna be in the neighborhood of 400 pounds. Looks like you just have plywood screwed to the top of some 2x4's. It will support the weight, but will not be stable at all... One good sideways push (like someone accidentally bumping into the tank) and the whole thing could come crashing down...

Here's a pic of how I built my stand:

image_zps4sgiguky.jpg

Spoon Fed EM1

Yeah, I'm not done with it yet cause I'm gonna finish it this weekend when I'm off of work... gonna add a few more pieces turned to the side for more support haha

Spoon Fed EM1

so these came in the mail earlier today! =)

still waiting on the rest of the parts to come in a couple of days!

Radion_zpsvodr9f47.jpg

Spoon Fed EM1

i had some free time earlier today, so i ran out and grabbed 15lbs of rock and 50 lbs of live sand reef sand... i like the bigger grain of sand, looks better imo. i also installed the RMS, totally loving the mounting kit! so dope!

so i played with the rock work for literally 2 hours or more... breaking pieces of rock to make it fit well together and to get it to be the shape that i want it to become... this is what i end up with and i'm digging it alot. i got one big cave and a couple of small ones just to make it look better...

fts1_zpsnvrjsi6e.jpg

Spoon Fed EM1

what's up everyone!

i got some new toys today, nothing really special lol! but i definitely can't wait until tomorrow when the UPS man comes with EVERYTHING so i can finally complete the tank setup!!! ahhhh so anxious!

Red Sea Refractometer... probaly the best tool i've ever invested in lol

refractometer1_zpsw4hsm9po.jpg

i also got myself a Brute can for my RO/DI water! woooooohooooooo!!!!!!

brute_zpskbjxhmkx.jpg

i ended up going out and grabbing myself the perfect heavy duty shelving! supports up to 800lbs per shelf! i ended up only building three tiers... 5 is really unecessary lol

shelf1_zpsvkttlsbe.jpg

it literally FITS LIKE A GLOVE... so dope =) what do you guys think?

tank1_zpsxfreosor.jpg

thanks to all who follow and comment!

I really like the shelf stand! I may do that once I get a 40 B build. I think it would be super easy to put a sump on yhr bottom shelf, and cover the sides of the shelving unit with wood to make it look like a wood stand! Could even put a door on the front and leave the shelf inside above the sump to hold tool, food and such

Spoon Fed EM1

I really like the shelf stand! I may do that once I get a 40 B build. I think it would be super easy to put a sump on yhr bottom shelf, and cover the sides of the shelving unit with wood to make it look like a wood stand! Could even put a door on the front and leave the shelf inside above the sump to hold tool, food and such

i honestly don't care too much of how the appearance of my stand is... i'm just really really simple i guess lol! as long as the tank is up on something, i don't mind how it looks lol! but maybe if i have time, i'll build around the stand haha =)

Looking good. Can't wait to see that aquascape when it is wet with light.

thanks alot! me as well, i hope this aquascape stays cause once the water and sand goes in and it doesn't look right... i'm gonna be slightly upset cause i like the way it is now lol!

Spoon Fed EM1

So last night, I took all my dry rock and rinsed them from all the dust and junk... I put them in a 20 gallon bucket I have laying around to soak in salt water with a heater and pump. Can't wait for the ups man to show up with my goodies! Can't wait to get the tank started tonight!

Spoon Fed EM1

Hope you guys are ready for TONS of photos tonight! I'll be back later on tonight, setting up reef link at the moment!

That stand looks a little sketchy to me. A 40 breeder setup is gonna be in the neighborhood of 400 pounds. Looks like you just have plywood screwed to the top of some 2x4's. It will support the weight, but will not be stable at all... One good sideways push (like someone accidentally bumping into the tank) and the whole thing could come crashing down...

Here's a pic of how I built my stand:

image_zps4sgiguky.jpg

That stand is on the other side of the spectrum.

Spoon Fed EM1

hi everyone!

i got tons of new stuff that came in today from the UPS man, it was like christmas in spring! so here are the goodies that came in today!

UPS man delivered!

box1_zpsap7ylgcz.jpg

BRS 75GPD RO/DI(i can't wait to use this!!!)

rodi1_zps1ma1o5z8.jpg

CPR AquaFuge2 HOB Refugium(it looks so dope!)

refugium1_zps5waiygxp.jpg

Reef Octopus 2000 HOB Skimmer(this thing is ginormous! skimmer overkill, no joke lol!)

skimmer1_zpsolvxibf0.jpg

EcoTech Wide Angle Lens!

wide1_zps99aandyh.jpg

EcoTech ReefLink! having a hard time connecting it to my wifi =(

reefink1_zps0rkhrz5t.jpg

the dual beasts of the 40B! EcoTech MP40QDs!

mp40s1_zps9ub3kmyg.jpg

that's all for now, i have tons and tons of photos still! thanks everyone for your kind words and your time in my build!

-Phi

Odyssey350kc

Right. lol I want to see a video of this tank when its all set up. I've got 1 MP-10 and it pushes the water in the tank pretty good.

Wow. Agree on the WP40's, you'll probably have to run them very low to keep from blasting those fish right out of the tank! :-)

That stand you got is pretty sweet though, nice fit.

Spoon Fed EM1

what's up everyone!

i've been in my ghetto mancave putting all the parts together and what not...

i am however having trouble with this stupid ReefLink crap! it won't let me connect to ecotech live! is there anything else i can use besides this to control and program my lights and pumps?

here's a photo to keep you busy for a second! **cheers!!!**

beer11_zpsmmlsik6x.jpg

Archived