Pod Your Reef

help

youngreef

hey guys i was wondering whats a good thing to be dosing and also wondering what powerheads are good with out spending alot of money thanks

Gonna need a LOT more info than that to even begin to answer your questions.

Tank size, other equipment, inhabitants, why you think you need to dose, etc.

Dosing depends on your aquarium, what and what is low and what isn't.

Circulators will also depend. Many nanos don't even require one.

johnmaloney

1.) Nothing for awhile, if you are a beginner get easy to care for species that do not require specific water parameters - just keep up with regular water changes on a weekly basis. Use a high quality salt.

2).) Koralia Hydor

Glad I could help, hook it up with the likes. :)

Dose only those things you can test for. Test and if there is some need, then dose. Although, as suggested, water changes probably will suffice for now.

johnmaloney

Dose only those things you can test for. Test and if there is some need, then dose. Although, as suggested, water changes probably will suffice for now.

+1 And wait between test to measure dissipation. Also alkinity and calcium affect each other if you are messing with one, you have to test both. (Calcium is the most commonly dosed additive)

With additives it is easy to cause more trouble than it is to confer a benefit. A proper dosing regiment has to be right a bunch of times over a long period to get better results for aquaria, if you are wrong once you can potentially cause a precipitous crash.

What is the aim of dosing for you, what are you trying to achieve? If nothing in particular, spend the time and energy on regular water changes instead.

+1 And wait between test to measure dissipation. Also alkinity and calcium affect each other if you are messing with one, you have to test both. (Calcium is the most commonly dosed additive)

With additives it is easy to cause more trouble than it is to confer a benefit. A proper dosing regiment has to be right a bunch of times over a long period to get better results for aquaria, if you are wrong once you can potentially cause a precipitous crash.

What is the aim of dosing for you, what are you trying to achieve? If nothing in particular, spend the time and energy on regular water changes instead.

1.) Nothing for awhile, if you are a beginner get easy to care for species that do not require specific water parameters - just keep up with regular water changes on a weekly basis. Use a high quality salt.

2).) Koralia Hydor

Glad I could help, hook it up with the likes. :)

Dosing depends on your aquarium, what and what is low and what isn't.

Circulators will also depend. Many nanos don't even require one.

Gonna need a LOT more info than that to even begin to answer your questions.

Tank size, other equipment, inhabitants, why you think you need to dose, etc.

Thanks everyone for the info. I want to keep some of lps and heard that you need to dose stuff. My tank is a jbj 30 rl with just the stock filters

johnmaloney

Thanks everyone for the info. I want to keep some of lps and heard that you need to dose stuff. My tank is a jbj 30 rl with just the stock filters

For most LPS, just regular water changes and target feeding will keep them happy, just use a quality salt. If you want to get into dosing later, buy a testing kit for magnesium, alkalinity, and calcium (you should have one for pH, nitrates, salinity etc.. already)and test to see where you seem to be deficient. Then slowly start to bring those 3 to target levels. Other parameters really won't matter that much. Don't start an exotic dosing routine, or shoot for full correction on one try.

For most LPS, just regular water changes and target feeding will keep them happy, just use a quality salt. If you want to get into dosing later, buy a testing kit for magnesium, alkalinity, and calcium (you should have one for pH, nitrates, salinity etc.. already)and test to see where you seem to be deficient. Then slowly start to bring those 3 to target levels. Other parameters really won't matter that much. Don't start an exotic dosing routine, or shoot for full correction on one try.

ok thanks will the instant ocean sea salt be good of should i switch to the reef salt

oh and what do you suggest i feed lps

Depends on the type of LPS...

things like acans, plate corals, duncans will like pellet food and mysis.

Goniopora needs small foods like phyto and oyster feast.

Hammers, frogspawn, torches don't need to be fed, fish poo will do them just fine.

Depends on the type of LPS...

things like acans, plate corals, duncans will like pellet food and mysis.

Goniopora needs small foods like phyto and oyster feast.

Hammers, frogspawn, torches don't need to be fed, fish poo will do them just fine.

ok thanks that hepled me a lot. any othyer things i should know about feeding

• 2 weeks later...
fishfreak0114

I have a wp25 for my bc29 and it's a great power head. One of the best purchases I made. It should do well for you, very adjustable flow wise. I leave mine on reef stream mode, gives good movement through the whole tank.

youngreef

I have a wp25 for my bc29 and it's a great power head. One of the best purchases I made. It should do well for you, very adjustable flow wise. I leave mine on reef stream mode, gives good movement through the whole tank.

ok thanks i ended up going with the wp10 and just got it today but thanks for the info though.

do you know any online coral retailer that ships to canada for a reasonable price?

fishfreak0114

Sorry but I can't help you there, I haven't gotten any coral online, join the reefers facebook page or club, lots of great deals on coral to be had there. If you live in the east coast, frag box may be good, they have a lot of coral online and shipping may not be as expensive as some places. Its pricey if you live on the west coast though, that's why I didn't buy any from them.

Kellysnano

Young reef try canada corals in Ontario . I have ordered from them several times and always am happy. Also concept aquariums in calgary ships and they also have really great coral.

Young reef try canada corals in Ontario . I have ordered from them several times and always am happy. Also concept aquariums in calgary ships and they also have really great coral.

ok thanks il give it a try

any one have any tips on how to lower ammonia levels ?

HarryPotter

ok thanks il give it a try

any one have any tips on how to lower ammonia levels ?

Do you have a picture of your tank? How old is it- if you are already trying to order coral, you should NOT have ammonia. Ammonia can only be lowered via. water changes and bacterial development.

Why would you have ammonia anyway...

Do you have a picture of your tank? How old is it- if you are already trying to order coral, you should NOT have ammonia. Ammonia can only be lowered via. water changes and bacterial development.

Why would you have ammonia anyway...

its like 3 months old and i haven't ordered any coral yet i have ammonia because i had a big ick out break

HarryPotter

its like 3 months old and i haven't ordered any coral yet i have ammonia because i had a big ick out break

Ich does not cause ammonia; leaving bodies in does. Maybe you could try to do water changes or make sure that any sick/dead critters are out?

Ich does not cause ammonia; leaving bodies in does. Maybe you could try to do water changes or make sure that any sick/dead critters are out?

thanks its been two weeks with out fish in the system do you think that i can but fish in now

HarryPotter

thanks its been two weeks with out fish in the system do you think that i can but fish in now

How are your levels? Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, PH, etc.

Can you post a picture?

Murphs_Reef

Not if your ammonia is still up, can you drop us some stats? I have been 3 months with CUC only... Well did have a damsel for a few days but shipped that bugger right back to LFS (diff story)

No. At least 72 days fallow (without fish) in the tank to rid it of ich. Any fish introduced before that time probably will be exposed.

Archived