Cultivated Reef

Fat Fish Showoff thread

metrokat

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to rain on the parade but is this even healthy? Some still look normal but others look massive and frankly obese.

Not to rain on the parade but is this even healthy? Some still look normal but others look massive and frankly obese.

Don't really see a way to regulate it without starving the more timid fish.

Don't really see a way to regulate it without starving the more timid fish.

I usually target feed my two clowns individually since one is larger and bullies the other one. Just feed the larger one on one side of the tank and then feed the other one while the other is away. If they are together, the larger one chases the smaller one away and eats it all.

Compared to what?

I usually target feed my two clowns individually since one is larger and bullies the other one. Just feed the larger one on one side of the tank and then feed the other one while the other is away. If they are together, the larger one chases the smaller one away and eats it all.

That's assuming the fish personality works for that. My rabbitfish is a shark when she thinks foods in the water. There is no "while away" for her. There is "target feed here, there and everywhere" and hope the others can eat while she's doing a mad dash around the tank picking up all the food. And she will spit out food of one variety to pick up another (pellets for mysis, mysis for pellets, if its in her mouth, clearly what is not in her mouth must be better)

NirvanaandTool

Turn up the flow a bit more. Fish treadmill. Work those extra ounces off!

I tend to overfeed my big wrasse just to keep him well behaved, same with the butterflyfish. Fat and full fish don' tend to go hunting around for other food like corals and tank cleaners.

Well, my challenge to anyone who thinks a fish looks obese is to point to a reference from the wild that shows what might be considered a normal weight.

This was the only Foxface I could find

Wild-Foxface-Rabbitfish.jpg

Based on this pic I need to feed my Foxface more.

My tangs look about right.

YellowTang.jpg

If you re-read my post then you will see that I said some of these look natural. I also wasn't trying to single any one out specifically. Doing what you did with some of the other pictures yields different results considering the large bulging bellies visible on some of these fish.

If you re-read my post then you will see that I said some of these look natural. I also wasn't trying to single any one out specifically. Doing what you did with some of the other pictures yields different results considering the large bulging bellies visible on some of these fish.

I quoted your entire post and asked compared to what? I'll add, what fish look obese? Are you here to discuss, teach, and maybe learn, or just make one line comments with no data to back it up.

What fish look obese, compared to what, and is it something we should be concerned about?

Not exactly saltwater, but this is my freshwater Yoyo loach after pigging out on some Tubifex worms:

0muBTVX.png

I love the Yoyo's. :)

I quoted your entire post and asked compared to what? I'll add, what fish look obese? Are you here to discuss, teach, and maybe learn, or just make one line comments with no data to back it up.

What fish look obese, compared to what, and is it something we should be concerned about?

I love the Yoyo's. :)

I clearly stated that some looked natural and some did not. I then stated that some had large bulging bellies that when compared to pictures of them in the wild looked unnatural. Not only that, I was asking a question as to if this was even healthy for the fish which was a question that went unanswered. Clearly you're here to be a prick so I'm going to go ahead and leave and unsubscribe. If anyone does have an answer to my question then please shoot me a PM. I know I've heard of issues with fish and fatty liver disease and one of the ways of preventing this is to turn up the flow as NirvanaandTool stated and was wondering if there were any other side effects.

I clearly stated that some looked natural and some did not. I then stated that some had large bulging bellies that when compared to pictures of them in the wild looked unnatural. Not only that, I was asking a question as to if this was even healthy for the fish which was a question that went unanswered. Clearly you're here to be a prick so I'm going to go ahead and leave and unsubscribe. If anyone does have an answer to my question then please shoot me a PM. I know I've heard of issues with fish and fatty liver disease and one of the ways of preventing this is to turn up the flow as NirvanaandTool stated and was wondering if there were any other side effects.

To me they all look perfectly natural and healthy while most fish look way too skinny, especially from those tanks where the owner is trying to control algae by cutting back on feeding.

Mama Ruby was carrying eggs in that picture. Plus she had just eaten. Big as a house she was. Nope didn;t die of a coronary, she slapped my tang till it passed :( Traded her in.

Dot gorged on LRS before I took that picture.

Oh here's the upskirt shot of Shamu the whale. Fatty.

20150421_085724.jpg

NirvanaandTool

Most of these fish are this fat because they just ate. I've caught plenty of SW fish that were really fat due to gorging themselves on sand eels or shrimp or baitfish. In fact, half of them spit it up when you get them to the boat.

I'd assume at least half of these fish posted here aren't nearly as fat when they've digested said meal. I notice a distinct belly bulge on all my fish after feeding but it disappears after they digest the meal.

There are other side effects like nutritional deficiencies if the diet isn't varied but I'd say it's pretty uncommon. In our reef tanks, we've got pretty high flow and most people only feed once a day so the chance of a fish becoming 'obese' and getting fatty liver disease at least IMO seems slim.

• 1 month later...

Not exactly saltwater, but this is my freshwater Yoyo loach after pigging out on some Tubifex worms:

0muBTVX.png

Wow that brought back a memory. I used to have a yoyo! Such cool fish.

Archived