inTank Media Baskets

Pak is Back: Mr. Aqua 17Gal

SnakPak

After a long hiatus from posting and being on NR, I'm officially back. Below is my year and a half old 17 Gal. I've been taking the simple approach with this tank. Minimal water changes (maybe 1 a month), canister filter and a lot of feeding. I think the only tank I've owned that rivaled growth was my original cube.

DSC00312.jpg

DSC00325.jpg

Equipment

• Mr. Aqua 17 gal
  • Vortech MP10
  • Aqua Illumination Sol Blue
  • Fluval 306 Canister Filter

Livestock

• Tailspot Blenny
  • Yellow Damsel
  • Blue Damsel
  • Flame Prawn Goby
  • 1 Turbo Snail
  • Misc. Hermits & Snails
  • Sexy Shrimp
  • Maxi-mini Anemones

Corals

• Toadstool Leather
  • Purple Xenia
  • Cauliflower Coral
  • Duncans
  • Bam Bam Zoas
  • Jumbo Emerald Green Zoas
  • Green Plate Coral
  • Red & Green Striped Mushroom corals

Looks pretty sick so far!

Thanks!

I had a softie/LPS tank that I took that approach. I enjoyed it very much. Your tank looks great.

Thanks! I've done some softies before, but not a softie dominated tank. Its working out quite well so far. I'd like to get some more LPS in there. Maybe a couple SPS pieces, but nothing crazy. I'm waiting for a future tank upgrade to do an SPS dominated tank.

Nice! What sort of fish do you have in there?

Thanks! Right now my tailspot blenny (all time favorite fish), yellow damsel (bully of the tank), blue damsel and a flame prawn goby, which makes rare appearances. He has a nice tunnel burrowed though.

Cool nano!...

Thank you!

That's awesome

Thanks!

Nice looking tank! What are you running in the fluval canister? I'm thinking of getting a canister for my tank too just to get the media reactors and heater (replace with inline) out of the display.

How's the canister filter working for you?

Its actually working really well. I know I don't clean it as much as I probably should, but it's been working out for me. I like the added water volume, the additional flow and the amount of media I can stuff in there. Plus, I think it's a lot less of a hassle to clean then a HOB.

Looks great pak...really glad to see you back.

Thanks Hype! Glad to be back as well.

Nice looking tank! What are you running in the fluval canister? I'm thinking of getting a canister for my tank too just to get the media reactors and heater (replace with inline) out of the display.

Thank you! Just filter floss (pillow stuffing), carbon and phosphate remover. I've got 2 of the chambers stuffed with filter floss, and the middle one has both the carbon and phosphate pads. I've considered an inline, just never tried it. I'm also using the TOM Aquarium Surface skimmer adapter for it. Has made a massive difference in the surface proteins/grime.

I was using a canister filter for awhile. I liked it a lot but wanted a place to put all the stuff I didn't want in the display. I highly recommend an inline heater, one less thing in the display.

Let's see some more pictures!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've had a stream of bad luck this weekend. I bought a green clown goby earlier last week, only for him to kick the bucket 2 days later. Then my tailspot jumped, and do I mean, jumped. My wife found him a good 3-4 feet away from the tank. I was super bummed about it because he was my favorite fish. Then due to power issues over the weekend, I lost my blue damsel. Not sure if he strayed too close to my MP10 when it restarted, but he was sandwiched in the opening.

So, down to the yellow damsel and the impossible to find prawn goby. I want another tailspot, but debating changing it up for something new. Any suggestions??

That sucks :(

Have you considered neon gobies? I've never owned them before so I'm not sure of how difficult they are to keep, but seems perfect for your tank! My only experience is by looking at pics of other peoples tanks that oewn then

That sucks :(

Have you considered neon gobies? I've never owned them before so I'm not sure of how difficult they are to keep, but seems perfect for your tank! My only experience is by looking at pics of other peoples tanks that oewn then

I've had one in the past. I literally never saw it. I don't know how a pair or even 3 would be in there, but I'll consider it. Definitely want fish with a lot of personality.

Barnacle Blenny could be fun if you have a good spot for it to hang out in. I'd say they have a lot of personality they just don't venture out much except for feeding time.

• 3 weeks later...

Got sucked away again. Purchased 2 very tiny clowns, another tailspot and a pistol shrimp. One of the clowns went MIA...have zero clue what happened to him. Other clown is living life hosting my Toadstool. Although the yellow damsel is a major a-hole and nips at him all the time. So I'm going to trap him and take him back. Or make him into sushi, not sure yet.. Pistol shrimp I haven't seen since I put him in the tank, but his tunnel network is quite impressive.

In other news, I've been offered a friend's 100 gallon cube.. complete setup. I helped them get this tank up and running while I was staying with them, and now that they are moving into a smaller condo, they don't have the space. So I was given first offer (free of charge mind you)... what to do with 100 gallons!?!?!

USE ITTTTT!!!!!!

....as a sump ;)

just kidding! what are the dimensions of the 100gallon? Is your friend giving you the lights etc to go with it?

a 100 gallon softy cube would be unreal... imagine how big your toadstool could grow in there :o

USE ITTTTT!!!!!!

....as a sump ;)

just kidding! what are the dimensions of the 100gallon? Is your friend giving you the lights etc to go with it?

a 100 gallon softy cube would be unreal... imagine how big your toadstool could grow in there :o

From what I remember, it's 36"W x 36"D x 18" T.

I'm getting everything. :D Tank, stand, sump, skimmer, lights (Maxspect Mazarra Ps), rocks, corals, everything they bought for the tank.

Unfortunately, I'll probably start the tank fresh. I haven't been to their place in a while so I don't know how much the corals they had have grown in, but with transport and stuff, I want to take my time getting it all setup. They were running miracle mud in the sump. I want to clean that out completely and re-arrange the equipment.

I'll probably do a mixed reef. I've always been in love with the beautiful colors of SPS, so I'd really like to try my hands at more SPS corals. I will definitely be transferring my current tank contents over, so that toadstool can just grow and grow. Seriously, my favorite coral right now and probably for a long time. Watching the clown host it is so cool. I will however trim back some of the leathers just because they seem to pop up everywhere.

Plan is to use the Mazarras and the AI Sol, all hung from the ceiling. I don't have an estimated timeline on when I'll get the tank, but when I do I'll be posting lots of pics.

Archived