ReefCleaners.org

Recycling old sand

Jellyingabout

Jellyingabout

I've starting a new pico build recycling as much as i can from the old tanks. The sand is over 4 years old now and has never been vacuumed.

Was washing the sand out to clear of the filth ok or have i doomed my pico to early algae problems??

It should be fine. Just add it in and give it a good stir to let everything out, will help with the cycle too. If you're worried about algae just do a blackout during the cycle.

Jellyingabout

Good to know

There has been no cycle. The whole tank as set up from bit of one of my other established reefs.

I'd put the sand into a bucket (or buckets), rinse it as well as possible, pour out the rinse water until it comes back clear. I suppose it'd be up to you whether you wanted to use RO/DI or saltwater for the rinse (keeping things alive would be a good reason for the latter)? You don't want to release all of that stuff into your new pico's water column.

Jellyingabout

Just done that. Luckily i have no live stock so it wasn't hard to just take the rock out and rinse the sand off.

was surprised with the shear ammount of crap in that water. had to rinse it off about 10 times

Archived