Coral Vue Hydros

Kole Tang + Nori Experience? Tang Heaven seaweed?

lkoechle

I've planned to get a Kole Tang as companion to my Rabbitfish since her wrasse companion jumped to his death. Now she is trying to get cozy with my male mandarin... And that's weird... Weirder then her relationship with the wrasse...

While doing my research, I've come accross several posts of people having difficulty with their Koles not eating or thriving on nori. I was wondering what the experience was around here and if anyone has kept a tang with Indo-Pacific Sea Farm's Tang Heaven. (copy and pasted from their website):

Tang Heaven Red™
The natural red seaweed diet of Tangs

Yellows, Hippos, Nasos, Blues, Koles, Achilles, etc. as well as many omnivores such as pygmy angels. Why invest in "terrestrial" diets like Romaine lettuce when a superior marine alternative is now available?Tang Heaven Red is 100% live natural seaweed from the place that made tangs famous - Hawaii's Kona coast. Tested and proven by IPSF for more than ten years as a COMPLETE diet for all of the popular ornamental surgeonfishes. High in natural fibers, which are known to combat, prevent and cure head and lateral line erosion disease. More convenient and economical than nori (dried seaweed). We achieve TOTAL wild color retention in Hawaiian tangs with the high levels of fresh pigments in Tang Heaven Red. Rich in garlic esters, Tang Heaven Red has superior medicinal properties which must be experienced to be fully appreciated. Shipped alive as moist fronds which you can add directly as food to your main tank, or float it in your sump or refugium as a living filter to remove ammonia, nitrates and phosphates.

I was thinking about building a fuge in my sump and trying to cultivate it. According to the website, they have a 400% increase monthly at the farm with an average 140% increase monthly in home aquariums.

Has anyone had experience with feeding this to their tangs? (particularly Koles) Is it worth the investment and trouble? Are Koles really resistant to eating nori?

Edit: Tang Heaven Red's scientific name is Gracilaria parvispora I thought that was in the description. Apparently not.

I've never fed nori and I've never had a problem with tangs not being healthy. I had a yellow tang for well over 5 yrs, and my current kole is putting on weight and growing just fine without nori. I primarily feed NLS thera +A pellets. Recently been adding mysis shrimp because I have a picky eater and my new anthias need several meals a day.... otherwise NLS pellets all the way. And, I have fed them exclusively for years w/o issue as well.

Same as that A hole above......NLS pellets and mysis. My Kole will not touch nori or any macro in my tank. He will suck on the film algae whenever it pops up on the glass from time to time. Had it for a few years now....healthy as can be.

Guess I won't worry about then. lol All of the ones I've seen come through the LFS were eating nori with no problems. But some of the googling had me concerned.

Archived