ReefCleaners.org

Biocube 14 Reef Tank

cmccorkle2005

cmccorkle2005

So I've been doing some looking and planning and here is what I think my next additions will be:

This Week

2 more Astrea Snails (I only have 2 right now) (I'm now starting to get green algae which I think is a good sign so its time to expand the CUC)

Yellow Clown Goby (This will finish out the fish stock)

In About A Month

Some Zoas

Some Xenias

In About 2 Months

A Coral Banded or Fire Shrimp

Maybe some Hammer Coral?

Thoughts???

• 2 weeks later...
cmccorkle2005

It has been an interesting couple of weeks with the tank. I bought a small yellow clown goby - he seemed majorly stressed when I first put him in the tank but seems better now. He still doesn't eat much though. After that I started having trouble with my clown jumping the back of the tank into the filter - 3 different times in a week. He jumped into the diffuser cup for the middle chamber one night - don't know how he lived. After reading and talking to a few folks I decided to get a second clown (got a black and white oscellarus) so he would have a playmate. He seems way happier now and they have paired up quickly.

I also tried to put a hydor nano skimmer in the tank this week but it wouldn't fit so I returned it and am going to give the biocube skimmer a try. I also ordered the InTank media basket for the tank so when I do the water change next weekend I am going to be doing some surgery taking out the false floors before I put in the basket and skimmer.

post-20807-0-98374200-1430694725_thumb.jpg

post-20807-0-16824200-1430694859_thumb.jpg

FlowerMama

My yellow clown goby always stays thin but what got her eating a touch more was some of the Garlic Extreme by Kent. She is also more shy to come out and not as fast because the clowns are bullies and get it quickly.

cmccorkle2005

My yellow clown goby always stays thin but what got her eating a touch more was some of the Garlic Extreme by Kent. She is also more shy to come out and not as fast because the clowns are bullies and get it quickly.

I may have to try some of that - I bought some smaller pellets this week and he seems to better with it and I am also going to try some mysis shrimp. So far my clowns seem to be playing nice with him although you are right - they are pigs!

• 2 months later...

Hey thanks for the advice here - I will go slow with the corals for sure. Which LED upgrade did you do? I have already been thinking about that for down the road. I have wondered about an ATO but so far this BC seems to have so little evaportation that I am only topping off once a week - how often do you have to top off?

Sorry for the major delay in replying. I used RapidLED retrofit. Did the dual channel with Storm controller. Its been phenomenal.

The evaporation does seem minimal, but when you take into account the volume of these little tanks, that little evaporation is fairly significant when it comes to your salinity levels.

I installed the Tunez nano ATO. $100 mod but definitely worth it. Prior to this, I found myself dumping in a decent amount of water, perhaps about 1/4g 1-2 per week. After ATO mod, I'd estimate my ATO kicks on perhaps about once per hour. It has always been spot on. The tank inhabitants seem happy with the stability. And I am happy with the reduced effort in proper husbandry.

You can find out more about my tank in my build thread in signature. Ill be adding some photos this weekend. Recently did some major 'scape changes and a full livestock swap.

Archived