Top Shelf Aquatics

Brissle worms!

MJ1980

I have just noticed a smallish worm in my tank that I've never seen before! After a bit of research I've now found out its a brissle worm that can sting but is good CUC. Can anyone give me the low down on this pls... How it turned up? If it's good or bad? What does or can it do? Thanks

Bristle worms are awesome, they scavenge a ton, especially on dead animals. They also will eat necrotic/dead corals which I think gives them a bad reputation. I don't recommend touching them with bare hands since their bristles will stick in your skin and be rather uncomfortable. Half the time when they have lots of food you won't even know they are there lol. I have one over two inches long who sometimes isn't seen for weeks then comes out for a treat, I have given him raw chicken, fish food, crushed snails and other things for food. Keep him in the tank.

On a side note they also are mostly nocturnal.

^ Truth. Keep it, they are awesome members of a cuc, I have a lot of larger ones that just live in the rock and come out to scavenge food when I feed. They don't bother anything.

their bristles will stick in your skin and be rather uncomfortable.

That's an understatement :lol:

If you bought liverock from somewhere, It was most likely a hitchhiker. As the previous people mentioned their benefits already, just be careful if you decide to lift or move any rock in the tank otherwise you will have no issues with them

That's an understatement :lol:

If you bought liverock from somewhere, It was most likely a hitchhiker. As the previous people mentioned their benefits already, just be careful if you decide to lift or move any rock in the tank otherwise you will have no issues with them

i think my fingers will have this experience sooner than later since I got quite a few adorable baby bristle worms on my new live rock, my worm will have friends now lol.

What a result that is, was thinking it would be trouble! Thanks guys

you're welcome

Archived