SaltCritters.com

Best Camera with Interchangeable Lenses annnnnnnd GO!

Steensj2004

Steensj2004

Title says it all, I'm in the market for a Canon or Nikon, looking in the 4-600.00 range. Need some advice, or advice on a better camera.

steamfisher

That is an open ended question with no real anwer. Some people will like Nikon while will like cannon. Best bet would be to go and look at them and see which is easier for you to use and navigate through.

Personally I'd look at the Canon SL1 and the Nikon D3200. But there are other choices which might have features you want. You might consider buying just the body and getting the lens(es) that you really want.

Steensj2004

That is an open ended question with no real anwer. Some people will like Nikon while will like cannon. Best bet would be to go and look at them and see which is easier for you to use and navigate through.

I want opinions and advice based on people's experience....so there definitely IS an answer

Personally I'd look at the Canon SL1 and the Nikon D3200. But there are other choices which might have features you want. You might consider buying just the body and getting the lens(es) that you really want.

Ill check it out!Thanks Bass!

Not sure if you're referring to SLR's or ILC's. I have a Sony NEX-5N and its compact and takes reasonable low light pics without flash ISO>10000. I believe Dave Fason have used that camera for his shots.

If you're looking for a mirrorless camera, Sony is a good choice. They also have some nice DSLR bodies. But it really comes down to the lenses you wish to use (like a 100mm macro) and their price. If you were just looking for a good overall camera with the included kit lens, you might choose something entirely different than you would for good macro reef photography.

Steensj2004

Looking for something I can get good tank shots with, including macro. Lenses are a different budget as a whole. Price range was for the camera alone. The budget isn't solid, but I don't want to go a lot over the 600.00 mark, but I am flexible

I like my nikon D3100.... I'm not a pro at photography by any means but I think it does a pretty solid job. Feel free to check out the pics in my thread, for the most part unless I say they were taken with my phone they were shot with the nikon. I use a tamron 60mm macro lens on it for 95+% of the shots too. I shoot free hand, no tripod or any of that either (despite having the tripod and auto clicker thing LOL).

I have a Nikon D7100 and D750 coupled with a Nikkor 105mm Micro for macro work. IMO any of the APS-C sensor sized bodies will do a great job. As far as lenses, apart from my current Nikkor, I had a pleasent experience with Sigma macros in the past. Be advised though, a good quality macro lens can take up a large part of your budget...even second hand. Also factor in a good quality and sturdy tripod into the equation.

Swing2Harmony

You could take excellent tank shots with any mirrorless or DSLR that was made in the last 5-6 years. Unless you tell us what specifically you're looking for in a camera, people are going to suggest whatever brand or model they prefer for their needs based on the lenses they've invested in.

Is video important? Do you prefer tilt screen? How important is low light? What features do you need? What other things will you need it for beside reef photography? How much are you looking for to spend on lenses? Why does it have to be Canon and Nikon? They don't automatically offer the best in all parts of the market!

Canon sensors are poo right now. If you want an SLR go with Nikon. Personally I would just get a Sony a6000 and call it a day.

The micro 4/3 family of camera are what I prefer to use when I am out and about and in general now really, I personally prefer the smaller size. They hold a lot of the functionality of full blown DSLR's at 1/3 the physical size. I have a first gen Micro 4/3 camera, a Panasonic Lumix GF-1 and love it. It is a little older now so I am looking at swapping the body for the slightly newer GX-1 or the GX-7/GF-7. The Sony NEX-3 & NEX-5 fits into the same family as these Panasonic cameras as does the Onlympus OM-D. Biggest difference being lenses are practically interchangeable between all Micro 4/3 manufactures except Sony because as always they use a proprietary lens mount.

The Canon 1000D/1100D/1200D (I think these care called the Rebel range for you in the states) kits are excellent for beginners and hold lots of functionality and good build quality. But as always, you will get a much better deal looking for second hand kit and a higher end body.

The micro 4/3 family of camera are what I prefer to use when I am out and about and in general now really, I personally prefer the smaller size. They hold a lot of the functionality of full blown DSLR's at 1/3 the physical size. I have a first gen Micro 4/3 camera, a Panasonic Lumix GF-1 and love it. It is a little older now so I am looking at swapping the body for the slightly newer GX-1 or the GX-7/GF-7. The Sony NEX-3 & NEX-5 fits into the same family as these Panasonic cameras as does the Onlympus OM-D. Biggest difference being lenses are practically interchangeable between all Micro 4/3 manufactures except Sony because as always they use a proprietary lens mount.

The Canon 1000D/1100D/1200D (I think these care called the Rebel range for you in the states) kits are excellent for beginners and hold lots of functionality and good build quality. But as always, you will get a much better deal looking for second hand kit and a higher end body.

That is not correct that Sony falls in the same category as M4/3. Sony mirrorless cameras like Fuji are APS-C sensors which are the same size you will find in a crop DSLR like the Nikon D3200/3300 and Canon Rebel etc.

That is not correct that Sony falls in the same category as M4/3. Sony mirrorless cameras like Fuji are APS-C sensors which are the same size you will find in a crop DSLR like the Nikon D3200/3300 and Canon Rebel etc.

This may be technically true but they are based on the M4/3 form factor they tend to compete against M4/3 directly on a model to model comparison. You are correct that their sensors are of the larger kind found in larger entry level 4/3 DSLR's and therefore technically not M4/3 by classification.

Sony a6000

^This. There is no better body out right now than the a6000 for <$600 from any manufacturer dSLR or not. For macro shots there is no need for a special macro lens. You can get the Sony E 55-210 f4.5 OSS lens for $200 then add a Raynox DCR-150 macro adapter for $60 and you got a very versatile setup on the cheap. Get a cheap 49-43 step down ring so the raynox screws right into the filter thread of the lens.

This may be technically true but they are based on the M4/3 form factor they tend to compete against is M4/3 directly on a model to model comparison. You are correct that their sensors are of the larger kind found in fully fledged 4/3 DSLR's and therefore technically not M4/3 by classification.

There is no such thing as an M4/3 form factor. M4/3 is a sensor size and nothing else. The only thing in common these cameras have is that they are a mirrorless design just like the Fuji X-series, Nikon 1, Samsung NX, Leica T, and EOS M.

The two best mirrorless systems right now for IQ are Sony E/EF and Fuji X. M4/3 is an older system so they have more lenses available. The one thing M4/3 does excel at is video but that's not really because of the sensor size but because the Panasonic GH series is designed with that in mind and their features are unmatched by any other system.

Looking for something I can get good tank shots with, including macro. Lenses are a different budget as a whole. Price range was for the camera alone. The budget isn't solid, but I don't want to go a lot over the 600.00 mark, but I am flexible

You can buy a Nikon D3200 (w/ one of the best sensors available) for $340 ($290 for a factory refurb). And a Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro lens for $379. This setup will rival much more expensive outfits.

Steensj2004

I have a Nikon D7100 and D750 coupled with a Nikkor 105mm Micro for macro work. IMO any of the APS-C sensor sized bodies will do a great job. As far as lenses, apart from my current Nikkor, I had a pleasent experience with Sigma macros in the past. Be advised though, a good quality macro lens can take up a large part of your budget...even second hand. Also factor in a good quality and sturdy tripod into the equation.

Thanks, Budget is for the Body only.

You can buy a Nikon D3200 (w/ one of the best sensors available) for $340 ($290 for a factory refurb): http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3200-Megapixel-Video-Compatibility/dp/B00MH6S1EW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1428399655&sr=8-5&keywords=D3200

And a Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro lens for $379: http://www.amazon.com/Tokina-100mm-Macro-AF-Digital/dp/B000CMNL52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428400023&sr=8-1&keywords=Tokina+100mm+for+Nikon

This setup will rival much more expensive outfits.

Sounds like a plan SeaBass

Archived