Cultivated Reef

40 % water change weekly 12gallon

jtgrimes

Looking at changing about 20% water every 4 days. I'm wondering if this is to much or not.

I have a 12 gallon aio, no skimmer, media basket with poly, phosguard and carbon. I like to feed my fish everyday. Two clowns, and goby/pistol pair.

It's not that it would be too much, but it might be unnecessary. You should have a purpose for doing it (like replenishing consumed elements, exporting nutrients, or otherwise balancing water chemistry).

Depends on how long you've had it setup. I also have a 12gal AIO with 2 clowns, no skimmer, LPs corals with a media basket running Purigen, Phosgard and filter floss. Been running a solid year and a half. Due to past failures I tried a different approach for water changes when I setup this tank.

After cycling and adding fish I started doing 30% water changes twice weekly for 4 months straight without fail. After I was convinced the tank was more stable I tapered down to alternating the twice weekly water changes and a single water change the next week for another 4 months. As I started to add coals and small dosing I was comfortable with a single 35% water change weekly and that's where I still am.

No deaths, healthy growing corals and a stable tank with virtually no visible algae a year later. It worked for me, it might work for you.

Archived