Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Road to Recovery - Verify Zoa Pox?

righttirefire

righttirefire

Can I get a verification of zoa pox? This is a little 2 head zoa the head that's partly hasn't opened fully in the 2 weeks I've had it. But this morning it looked like it was grow another head, but there are also about 4 or 5 little white spots on that head and the connecting membrane to the head with full extension.

20150404_090513_zpsu9hvsokr.jpg

after farther investigation I found another white spot on another zoa. A fully extended and growing head.

20150404_090524_zpsclqksr0a.jpg

what's the general opinion?

I'd treat it to be on the safe side. I bought what I thought was a two headed zoa, turned otu the be 4 heads with a free sample of pox. I started treatment - still is treating this colony and the two opened shortly after treatment and the spots got visibly smaller.

righttirefire

Which treatment ate you using? 3% peroxide 1/3 cup, and 2/3 new saltwater seems to be my only feasible option. My LFS doesn't have Furan-2, I haven't consulted them on treatments yet

I used furan-2. I ordered it online from big al's I added a few other things to make shipping worth while.

I am using 1 cup tank water + furan-2 (API) then dipping for 15 minutes, rinsing, do this for 4 days, 4 days off and doing it for 4 days same strength but only 10 minutes. If you order it online, get a few packs, you may need it as part of your quarantine. I don't have a Q-tank yet. But I am delighted with the results.

righttirefire

I did a major cleaning and 1/3 cup 3% peroxide and 2/3 cup tank water dip for 15 minutes. They all were infected so I dipped all my zoa frags. They look like hell. Been inTank for about 1 hour since dip

20150404_172349_zpsjlnbcxji.jpg

righttirefire

Not much change since the dip last night. I might try to farther reduce the peroxide today. I've read anywhere from 2:1 ratio, Which I did last night, to 4:1.

20150405_093726_zpso3et5jq5.jpg

righttirefire

20150405_151359_zpsvtxzuxqw.jpg

2nd treatment... fyi I hate this. Watching my pride and joy zoas take a bath... staring at the timer wondering why the seconds are going so slow

Brooklynreefer

It didn't look like there was anything wrong with them to begin with.

+1 on this.....they looked fine.....zoas can be temperamental at times.....I have a group that won't open for 2 days after a WC

righttirefire

Awesome... those white spots were on all my colonies, but they were all open still when I started treatment. So torturing my zoas for nothing.

righttirefire

I've decided against a 3rd dip. I crossed my information and put these zoas through two 15 minute dips, about 24 hours apart. 20150406_140142_zpsmfssn9t9.jpg

20150406_140122_zpsdbgc6lzo.jpg

I won't do a 3rd, I'm going to sit and wait and see what they. They're very upset right now, but show signs of life.

Pinner Reef

Always difficult... If it makes you feel any better have a look at my thread... Been watching my whole tank slowly die of poisoning

I would stop dipping. I did have a true case of zoa pox (which I did not see in your photos) and 1 dip killed 90% of the colony (200+ heads) You have very few polyps that may or may not have pox, I would stop dipping.

righttirefire

2015040895180030_zps6ld1zyeo.jpg

Here we are, 3 days after the 2nd dip, I have 2 zoas opening back up. The extent of the damage done is still unknown. Under actinics you can still see the glow of color from most my zoas, so I believe they'll recover. The "normal" daily regiment has been maintained, light cycle and feedings. It's nice to see some improvement, I've really been disappointed in myself for my actions. I do believe in the peroxide dip, but I mixed information and should have done more research.

• 3 weeks later...
righttirefire

20150403_171907_zps5qn7cjwx.png

All said and done, I conclude everything has recovered and opened up. Even some new heads sprouting, but I did suffered 1 loss. I tried to give it time but I was cleaning my tank and a turkey baster blast to clean off the plug exploded the little zoa. This is my first lost livestock. :/

Archived