inTank Media Baskets

Tempurature changes & clams

Jellyingabout

Jellyingabout

Hey guys,

After annoying my wife for years with the big marine tanks I've been relegated to a tiny tank. So I figures if I'm going small I'm gonna make it a challenge. I'm aiming for a crocea in a 1.5g jar.

I've had the jar up and running to see if I could keep the params steady enough for a clam.

Over the past 120 hours the tempuature has fluctuated between 21°C and 23°C. I can raise the temp easy, its the fluctuations i'm more concerned about.

I reckon a clam would be fine with a 2°C change provided I can get that between 25-27, but any second opinions?

Bear in mind for the first 32 hours of the graph the jar was being messed with a lot which makes the first part of the graph a bit unreliable.

(I posted this in the pico forum originally but figured this was a better spot for it but can't figure out how to delete it)

post-87736-0-20965600-1428099749_thumb.png

gulfsurfer101

It's not the temp fluctuations that are the main concerns here. The tiny tank will need doc's in the water. Dead organics in such a tiny tank will always lead to nuisance algae and other problems. I personally wouldn't try this, and I'm currently housing a five pound maxima in a ten gallon. That thing is a beast and requires heavy feeding of phyto and zooplankton.

Jellyingabout

Hopefully feeding won't be a problem as I will be regularly water changing from an established tank and I culture phyto already and have been for years. Plus the clam will be less than 12" under a par20. DOC's will come from the other tank and food will be dosed heavily before every water change (twice weekly since its basically a large bowl)

I know its a challenge but that's the point of this tank. Its my next step up after keeping marines for years from clams to coral to jellyfish :)

I will run the tank for a few weeks before I stock it, its been set up without a cycle from rock, sand and water from other tanks. I can keep the pH, the nutrients, the light and the alk all steady but this is the best I can get with the temp. And I've never had experience with a clam in unsteady temperatures of 2 degree fluctuations?

has anyone got a tank (+clam) in which temp is not so constant?

Jellyingabout

After a bit more research i've established that maximas are also found in the inter-tidal region as well as croceas. So I'm assuming that the temperature changes will be fine for then considering they go through much more than that twice daily in the wild.

CronicReefer

Yeah two degrees is not very much. Temperatures during the summer in ocean reefs can vary by as much as 6-8 degrees over the course of a day.

Archived