ReefCleaners.org

Getting sick of isopods... (mostly a Rant)

jamescstein

jamescstein

sheesh, I'm sorry! Those are the bad kinds too. How are you catching them?

bleary eyed with a red light and a turkey baster.

They like to dance on my front glass. I'm assuming eating copepods. Haven't seen them go after fish yet in my tank. Not sure what the 'mother' is eating. Still haven't found here yet. Pretty sure this was a fresh hatch. If only the 5 pistol shrimp I have would find and kill her.

jamescstein

So she's reproducing without a fish host? Almost say get a chromis to get the bitch to latch on and pull it out.

I am not 100% sure she isn't going after my fish, just haven't seen any evidence of it yet.

I suspect my Yasha is protected by his Randals pistol. But they don't seem to be bothering my Red Scooter pair. Never seen one on them, no sores or behavior that would indicate they've been touched. Might need to go fish less for a few month, but I am not convinced these things can't survive without a fish host.

I may get a damsel and stick it in with these 20 or so I caught and see if they go for it.

THEY ARENT THE BAD ONES!!! Bad (parasitic ones) ones physically can't survive eating other sources of food. You are killing the wrong animals!

jamescstein

Well my male red scooter dragonette died. Had a few 'sores' on him but I didn't find any actual isopods on him. We went to the beach today collecting amphipods, while there I trapped a small minnow to use as bait for isopods. Female scooter is out of the tank. I am going to hope that my randall's will keep the isopods away from my Yasha goby. We'll see if I can catch any pods on the 'bait' fish.

those are the mr. sinisters. I have had them go after my hand before. I only had the one, and it fortunately was removed. I have had non parasitical ones, but i think they eventually died out. I have another isopod in my 1.5 and it is a grazer.

I've seen isopods before looking very similar to yours, but I noticed something, they only hung around barnacles, and as I observed them closer, I realized they only eat barnacles and use their dead shells to live in and have their offspring living it. Unusual things they were. Point of sharing that was isopods can look quite similar, yet behave completely different, if the minnow is attacked I'd say starving them will be the best way to kill them, or introduce some savage lobster but I don't think you want to do that.

jamescstein

FYI,

Going through the pods I collected at the beach, I found some dark ispods. These actually rolled up in a ball when you mess with them. Unlike the ones pictured above who just swim away.

THEY ARENT THE BAD ONES!!! Bad (parasitic ones) ones physically can't survive eating other sources of food. You are killing the wrong animals!

I've read elsewhere that unfortunately they can scavenge and survive without a host. I appreciate your love of the weird organisms that get into our tanks. I am just not going to risk any more fish. I've already lost the mate to my scooter dragonette and I suspect it was the ispods. I'm just not sure how successful I'll be at eradicating them.

Oh man that sucks... So did you somehow introduce these things into your tank thinking they were good?

Although it seems like it would inevitably happen at some point if collecting pods at the beach (a tiny one attached to another pod or possibly larvae?).

As an aside, I'm surprised the dragonette died. They're usually fairly resistant to parasites because they normally have a heavy slime coat that tends to prevent them.

Good luck with the night stalking - maybe if you did that in concert with a trap it would be more effective? Something like this:

http://www.abone.co.uk/tag/isopod-trap/

FYI,

Going through the pods I collected at the beach, I found some dark ispods. These actually rolled up in a ball when you mess with them. Unlike the ones pictured above who just swim away.

I've read elsewhere that unfortunately they can scavenge and survive without a host. I appreciate your love of the weird organisms that get into our tanks. I am just not going to risk any more fish. I've already lost the mate to my scooter dragonette and I suspect it was the ispods. I'm just not sure how successful I'll be at eradicating them.

was the minnow attacked?
jamescstein

Oh man that sucks... So did you somehow introduce these things into your tank thinking they were good?

Although it seems like it would inevitably happen at some point if collecting pods at the beach (a tiny one attached to another pod or possibly larvae?).

As an aside, I'm surprised the dragonette died. They're usually fairly resistant to parasites because they normally have a heavy slime coat that tends to prevent them.

Good luck with the night stalking - maybe if you did that in concert with a trap it would be more effective? Something like this:

http://www.abone.co.uk/tag/isopod-trap/

No I didn't introduce these particular ispods. They came in on aquacultured live rock. I found other other I was talking about sorting through the wild caught ones. FYI most of the places save maybe sell pods are catching their pods in the wild. Reefs2go does for sure. I've ordered pods from them and gotten a couple ispods in the mix. I am not 100% that it had anything to do with the ispods, but all other things aside he was active and eating copepods, amphipods and frozen food.

As for the trap, I've tried my own version of that and so far the isopods have ignored the traps. Its actually quite mesmerizing watching them dance on the glass. Next time I see a large number of them I'll take a video. Hopefully that day will never come. Incidentally I caught a larger one the night, hopefully I can get the other breeder and be done with it.

was the minnow attacked?

Not yet no.

If that minnow isn't attacked by next week, and I mean latching on the still breathing minnow not scavenging his already dead corpse, you should release them back into the tank. If on the other hand minnow has an isopod grabbing on him and he is still breathing, or maybe even swimming, then you should kill the isopods.

Pinner Reef

Amphipod I have had to rip down an aquarium because of those exact Isos. He is right to get them out of the tank. They can survive the following dips that I've tried FW, iodine, Revive, Furan2, Copper, Hyper/hypo salinity, The list goes on and on. They were killing Mandarins (They have Toxic skin mucus) in the LFS tank we had them in

James you might try a meat trap overnight. Water bottle with some krill in the bottom. It did wonders for getting them out.

Some reading:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/bp/index.php

Good luck buddy

Edit: Sorta just skimmed the thread Keep up the work!

Archived