ReefCleaners.org

Hot glue reef safe?

najluni15

Hi all

I used hot glue to attach gutter guard to my overflow. Is this safe to use? I am finding info that says it's safe but not a long term solution. Any thought?

gulfsurfer101

No, next time try 3hr silicone with out the mold inhibitors. It'll be a more permanent solution that is reef safe.

Alright. Thanks. Anything bad in hot glue that would warrant me removing it? I used like 6 pea sized beads that I smeared with my finger (and burned my finger) along the gutter guard to the plastic of the overflow

gulfsurfer101

I would just in case. If it's water soluble then you could have a problem. No telling how long it'll hold up till it breaks down and possibly contaminate your water column.

Good point. Good thing I have some super thick superglue coming. I'll have to use that or silicone. Guess I'm just not patient. Fish keeping going I to overflow and they're a pain to get out.

Thanks

gulfsurfer101

I know the feeling, I had clownfish get lost behind the walls of my ap24 for months only to find them after major cleaning and overhauls. The best thing I every did was tear that false wall out and put an overflow box on the back. That solved that issue. I used some thick black plastic netting folded in half in the intake section to keep any fish and snails from getting clogged up in the line.

Archived