Pod Your Reef

Evolve 4: Renovation

LylaPico

I do but it is on another forum. Not sure what the rules are around here LOL. It is nothign special, although I think I am the only one to find a better way to reduce the flow. There are a lot of ways, I just think mine is the most efficient. And for the media section, I basically have the same setup you would find in an Aquaclear 70, so it will basically last forever.

Nice, Yeah I have the problem with increasing flow. I could use a little bit more of a kick to keep a little more detritus off the rock work.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Rics: another dippin' dots one and a green two toned one. The 100 ric order comes in tomorrow for me to choose from. :D

1kkfm.jpg

fts, 04/17/15

wtmic.jpg

So if noone knows what a nanobox is, here's a link to show you how awesome it is. (It's the lighting that I'm getting. I've already put back $100, just two more checks to go and I should have it before I move.) Also,

ALSO, I've decided to start labling how much I paid for everything for 2 reasons

1)So I can cry

2)So I can see how many loans aren't being paid off

3) (the real reason) So that people looking at my thread and are beginners don't just assume little tanks are less expensive because they're little.

I've heard that time and time again. "Oh, it's so little, I bet you didn't spend that much money on it. I want one." [my security guard at work.]

Okay this is not the case, if anything, I might have spent more than most just trying to find the right freaking lighting. So I'll be updating the first post soon with a list of prices. If I miss something point it out because I really would like this to be a part of this thread.

And also, thanks for following along!!

So if noone knows what a nanobox is, here's a link to show you how awesome it is. (It's the lighting that I'm getting. I've already put back $100, just two more checks to go and I should have it before I move.) Also,

ALSO, I've decided to start labling how much I paid for everything for 2 reasons

1)So I can cry

3) (the real reason) So that people looking at my thread and are beginners don't just assume little tanks are less expensive because they're little.

I've heard that time and time again. "Oh, it's so little, I bet you didn't spend that much money on it. I want one." [my security guard at work.]

Okay this is not the case, if anything, I might have spent more than most just trying to find the right freaking lighting. So I'll be updating the first post soon with a list of prices. If I miss something point it out because I really would like this to be a part of this thread.

Hah, a few months back I went into my bank statement and pulled up a search on all of the LFS's I've shopped at in the past year for my Spec V. I had been wanting to buy a new Nuvo 20 tank for a while... but after seeing how much the initial setup would really cost.. I couldn't do it.

cmccorkle2005

1)So I can cry

The nano box looks cool - I was just talking to somone yesterday who is going to do the one made for biocube. I bet it will open up alot of possibilities. You are so right about people thinking small tank = cheap. I have been using this app called Aquarimate to keep up with this new tank and it has a cost tracker. Its crazy how much I have already spent on this biocube and I haven't even bought a skimmer or done a light upgrade yet!

The nano box looks cool - I was just talking to somone yesterday who is going to do the one made for biocube. I bet it will open up alot of possibilities. You are so right about people thinking small tank = cheap. I have been using this app called Aquarimate to keep up with this new tank and it has a cost tracker. Its crazy how much I have already spent on this biocube and I haven't even bought a skimmer or done a light upgrade yet!

i'm trying to avoid thinking how much the start up will cost me.... Do you have the 14 or 29?

Looks great! I like Gus. I have an emerald named Paul.

awe. Yeah. I thought I would have problems with him in the beginning, but after a few days of carefully watching him, it's been a relief and there's plenty of gha for him to eat. I think he's even getting some more color on the back of his shell. He looks a little darker now. I'll post pics tonight.

Okay, so I have two days of classes left in my undergraduate career and I'm kind of freaking out about it. So to cope I'll do one of two things, post way to damn much or stop posting until after graduation and dive into what little Hw is left and studying for finals. :/ you guy's will find out which in the next couple of days. Ha ha ha.....

I like the dippin dots, I definitely need to get some ricordea.

Your tank is looking great!

:blush: Thanks! Yeah, I went back today to get two more and they were already sold! But I did get two more Ricordea. :naughtydance: ha ha ha. Ricordea are just so pretty and come in so many different colors! I'll post more pictures by tomorrow!

I own an Evolve 4 as a planted betta tank. I think this is really great to see one used for a reef tank. And successfully!

lol mine was a reef, now its a planted betta. Now I've been debating selling the betta and his amano shrimp so I can make it a reef again. lol

Super cute little tank :wub:. I LUV xenia. One day I want a forest of it :).

Thanks!!!! I could definitely help you get it started. lol. It grows like wild fire. I think the only thing that was stopping it before was the overgrown Kenya tree touching it..... We'll see how that goes for the next couple of weeks. ha ha!

lol mine was a reef, now its a planted betta. Now I've been debating selling the betta and his amano shrimp so I can make it a reef again. lol

Do it, do it, do it! B)

Here's the fts I meant to include in the last picture update:

11loncg.jpg

Okay so here's the deal, I got a truelumen led strip (3 leds about 1 watt) and it's just sitting on the top of the tank. I plugged it into the existing light source via existing connectors so it runs off the same power source. This accomplished dimming the fixture I already had and increased the amount of blue light. Win. I'm still getting the nano box, but this is a temporary fix until I do.

Also, petsmart had a sale on their cyclops-eeze. I bought 2 packs for less than $10. B)

I bought two more Ricordea... yes... more. They were $16 a piece. omgomgomg Now I want 50 more but I have to save up for the nanobox. lol. LF is doing good. I did a wc yesterday after my feeding. I've been away baby sitting some grey hounds for a friend so I've missed prime time to feed the trumpets for the last week. They look fine, it's just that I want them to finish splitting and they seem to split a little more after each feeding.

On a personal note, I worked my normal job, baby sat a friend's grey hounds, and did a side job of checking people into a writing workshop for my english department. Needless to say I only got about 6 hours of sleep from Thursday night on into just Sunday morning. It was a struggle bus just to stay awake while standing, let alone keep up with my schedule. And this week is my last week of classes omgomgomg so.... one of the sleepless days (I really can't recall which.) I texted my friend having a break down due to lack of sleep and graduation stress and she gave me my graduation present early. It was a golden fish necklace. ha ha ha. She knows me so well. :happydance: Expect more updates as I procrastinate my life. ha ha ha ha!!!

cmccorkle2005

i'm trying to avoid thinking how much the start up will cost me.... Do you have the 14 or 29?

awe. Yeah. I thought I would have problems with him in the beginning, but after a few days of carefully watching him, it's been a relief and there's plenty of gha for him to eat. I think he's even getting some more color on the back of his shell. He looks a little darker now. I'll post pics tonight.

Okay, so I have two days of classes left in my undergraduate career and I'm kind of freaking out about it. So to cope I'll do one of two things, post way to damn much or stop posting until after graduation and dive into what little Hw is left and studying for finals. :/ you guy's will find out which in the next couple of days. Ha ha ha.....

I have the 14...

I have the 14...

yeah, I almost feel like the 29 is going to be too big. Like what am I going to do with all that space.

Here's the fts I meant to include in the last picture update:

11loncg.jpg

I bought two more Ricordea... yes... more. They were $16 a piece. omgomgomg Now I want 50 more but I have to save up for the nanobox. lol.....

That's the problem with R. flordias; you just can't help it but to keep on collecting them.

Okay, question. My blenny is starting to hang out on the out flow grate (It's not stuck to it, I thought that too and freaked out.). And her pectoral fins. Lack of good oxygen exchange? I haven't had a fish in this tank since my beloved Marlin died, so I'll just move the valve to hit the top of the tank for now. But what are ya'll's thoughts?

cmccorkle2005

yeah, I almost feel like the 29 is going to be too big. Like what am I going to do with all that space.

I wrestled back and forth with it too. They are both nice tanks - people who like big tanks would probably laugh at us thinking a 29 is too big :-)

Okay, question. My blenny is starting to hang out on the out flow grate (It's not stuck to it, I thought that too and freaked out.). And her pectoral fins. Lack of good oxygen exchange? I haven't had a fish in this tank since my beloved Marlin died, so I'll just move the valve to hit the top of the tank for now. But what are ya'll's thoughts?

My clown does that sometimes and I wondered early on if something was wrong with him but he seems to be ok. I think he just liked the water flow there...

I wrestled back and forth with it too. They are both nice tanks - people who like big tanks would probably laugh at us thinking a 29 is too big :-)

My clown does that sometimes and I wondered early on if something was wrong with him but he seems to be ok. I think he just liked the water flow there...

I know, I want the 29 but I've never had a salt tank that big. :/ Such a delima.

That makes sense. I pointed the valve up a little more to cause a bit mor eturbulance in the surface just in case. But she is also new and discovering new parts of the tank, so she might just like the flow there like you said. I'd like to get a little split valve but I'm affraid I'd have to upgrade the pump for it to do the same amount of work and they don't make the maxi jet 606 any more. :/ (which is the only one I've read about fitting.)

JK, found it here. saving it in my thread so I can buy it later.

jk, it's discontinued. The one that I did find is $70. There's also a micro jet pump...... I'll have to compare it.

Thanks!!!! I could definitely help you get it started. lol. It grows like wild fire. I think the only thing that was stopping it before was the overgrown Kenya tree touching it..... We'll see how that goes for the next couple of weeks. ha ha!

Do it, do it, do it! B)

I have more priorities now so I think when I move, my next tank will be a simple mostly softies tank with plenty of xenia :).

Hard to say for sure but I would just keep an eye on it. It's probably just exploring and the current takes it to that spot.

I have more priorities now so I think when I move, my next tank will be a simple mostly softies tank with plenty of xenia :).

Hard to say for sure but I would just keep an eye on it. It's probably just exploring and the current takes it to that spot.

Softies are cool. I like the way they move in a good flow.

Yeah, she fans her fins out lit a kite and 'surfs' the current and scoots along the rocks. She definitely adds character to the tank. I was trying to cut back on water changes, I may have to keep it up. I was doing one every three days: first day I would sprinkle five pellets in the current so she would find them for a snack, day two I did a coral feed and wound up feeding her the same stuff, Day three do a water change. I had started to go to day four but I think that might be too much with her still adjusting. :(

Archived