SaltCritters.com

Ulva grow tank?

dgphelps

My urchin is ravenous and instead of putting raw dried nori in, I'd like to supplement with Ulva macro algae. I have a few smaller pieces, one does really well in a jar on the fence outside. I just do a water change once a week with old tank water. Definitely, not fast enough to keep up with the urchin but a cool experiment all the same.

I decided to setup a 6 gallon tub in the garage with a 24 hour 100W Equivalent 6500k CPF bulb. I have one piece of live rock in there and some crushed coral for a shallow substrate. It has flow, about 20x an hour and similar to the jar, I started it with old tank water with a plan to switch it out every week or so.

Should I plan to supplement with KNO3 and Monopotassium Phosphate? Anything else I can do to encourage good solid growth?

The urchin demolished the chaeto I had in my tank - didn't seem like the tastiest stuff so I'd like to provide something more enticing.

Bonus, I should probably get some nice pod populations in a safe sheltered environment like that. Appreciate any advice!

What kind of urchin is it? You could probably use the same tub for pod production as ulva production. You probably could also cultivate the ulva and pods in a refugium.

Tuxedo urchin. My tanks are small, too small to add a refugium - in fact one might argue I have two refugiums with a little coral added in. :P

I thought about an Aquaclear but I don't have the space right now. We're planning a move in the next year and I don't want to go overboard - I like the idea of something easy to pick up and move which both of my tanks suit nicely.

When I do move I am thinking of going up in size at least for one tank and continuing on the idea of built to a refugium style. While I like corals and anemone, I really like encouraging the diversity of the smaller life like pods, worms, tunicates, sponges, microstars, etc. The amount of clear tunicates in my 5 gallon tank right now is amazing, they keep popping up everywhere along with some cool yellow sponges.

• 5 weeks later...
phobos2deimos

Phosphate seems to be a big limiter with Ulva sp. I started keeping my levels at ~.5-1ppm and growth took off. But eventually it crashes, almost all dies off, and then starts regrowing. I suspect the issue is some trace elements that are being depleted (I never change my water). You might need to dose some sort of trace, perhaps CSM or CSM+B, I have no idea. Thinking of doing that myself, but there's a bit of copper in it.

Interesting. I simplified significantly - I essentially have a small jar on a fence board outside. Every time I do a water change for my tank, I flush it out and do a few back to back 100% water changes in the jar. And from time to time I add some phyto drops. The ulva just grows and grows - it's looking very nice actually. Not enough to feed an urchin with this system but strong constant growth of the ulva.

Archived