Coral Vue Hydros

Cichlidrookie Fluval Spec V Build

Cichlidrookie

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PathOfDeception

As per the picture it looks like he looking to get hosted by something. That something seems to be your powerhead. If he looks happy and eats well he will learn to make this tank his own. As you add new corals and fish you will notice a change in behaviour everytime.

Anyone else have experience with this and their clownfish??

Cichlidrookie

I did notice him sit on my Hollywood Stunner Chalice and the hammer coral. Hopefully he will host one. Thanks pathofdeception. Makes me feel better about the little guy.

Cichlidrookie

So my clownfish started swimming "normally" again. Good to see, but there is some aggression between the two. The black one seemed to be the dominating one.

Added a few more easy to care for corals. Here are some pics.

LA Lakers Zoas

E188304F-6B47-4E0D-AD5E-AD1FF111F157_zps

Fruitloops Zoas (snail photo bomb)

452E513C-85C9-415C-839F-7CA439BFB172_zps

Hollywood Stunner Chalise

42D4752D-3399-486F-BC91-66202A5D30F5_zps

Hammer (started with 2 heads looks like one is splitting and going to be 3 heads soon)

A8B21B93-0568-4E24-9593-964DD522CC23_zps

Here is a top pic, question: Are my Zoas MINI versions or are they always that small???

I have seen pictures of others and they look like the size of dimes but all 7 of mine is the size of a dime????

240085CE-C536-4C34-898D-37F5C8ACE802_zps

Thanks for viewing and please leave a comment or help answers my question.

Fruit loops are generally on the smaller side, but some of mine have gotten to a size slightly smaller than a dime. LA Lakers are considered "deep water" and are considered micro-zoas.

Cichlidrookie

Thanks JC.

So went to my LFS and saw this little guy hiding. Had to get him. Here he is acclimating, drip drip drip drip. Acclimated him for almost two hours.

90629325-581D-4CB3-9CA3-AF03A42E2F31_zps

Close up.

D1BD834C-B0D8-42A6-9C95-900A60206532_zps

Hope he likes the tank, not sure how happy he will be without an anemone.

Anyone have experience with porcelain/anemone crabs without anemone??

Hammerstone

My clown sleeps that way and is that way when the lights go on. awhile after she's awake she does her up and down swimmy thing.

Hammerstone

My clown sleeps that way and is that way when the lights go on. awhile after she's awake she does her up and down swimmy thing.

by the way she was being hosted by hair algae and I ripped that out so now she's being hosted by the powerhead. I feel bad about removing her soft and luxurious hair algae. She would roll around in it and stay laying in it most of the day. The powerhead keeps her company at night.
Cichlidrookie

Very very sad news this morning. I went to check my tank and I saw my Percula Clown on the bottom. RIP Thor. Not quite sure what went wrong.

??????????????????????????????????????????

He started swimming "normally" again and was eating everything I fed him, pellet and PE mysis. My other clown fish is doing fine. Not quite sure what happen. Maybe the black clown bullied him to death.

I have been doing weekly water changes and everything. The corals and porcelain anemone crab seem fine.

Will test the water later tonight and do another water change tomorrow.

Should I get another one?? Maybe I will wait a month or two before I get anything else.

Hoping to pick up a Reeflink and mp10wqd tomorrow.

Bye buddy

post-87494-0-22316600-1437767637_thumb.jpg

Cichlidrookie

I have seen the stingers. Will they sting a clownfish?

What does a sting look like on a clownfish?

HarryPotter

I have seen the stingers. Will they sting a clownfish?

What does a sting look like on a clownfish?

No, they sting other corals only as far as I'm aware (+some googling). If anything a Clownfish can harm a chalice by biting its polyps.

Cichlidrookie

So last night before bed I took a closer inspection of my clown fish. I noticed that there were little white dots on it.

YIKES I THINK I GOT ICH.......boo

So stayed up for a couple more hours to research how to cure Ich and what it looks like.

My best solution is garlic infused food. Cannot set up a QT tank.

So this morning b4 any LFS stores open I took a piece of garlic and cut it. Put some of the liquid in a container and then added some SW and then added the food. Let it sit for a bit and then tried to feed it to him.

He did not like it.....he took a piece and spat it out. Now I have all this uneaten food in the tank FML.

Will try again with PE Mysis and hope it works.

I will also go to LFS later to pick up some garlic product.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Cichlidrookie

Just got back from a 4 day vacation and everything is still alive........phew a sigh of relief.

I am going to keep trying to feed garlic to my clown but he looks better less white dots on him.

When I went to lfs to get garlic I picked up a few toys.....Reeflink and mp10wqd, I know overkill for a spec v but I m going to to upgrade eventually.

So question for anyone with an Vortech??

What is a good setting for it?

There are so many modes.

Thanks

Will update with pics tomorrow, still trying to find a red filter for camera.

Cichlidrookie

Still no red filter but here are some iPhone 4s pictures with a little editing in photobucket.

Octospawn

23ED1D05-D66F-4F94-9F74-E494F26D0178_zps

GSP trying to grow on my bare bottom tank to make it look like a field of grass

4CBCFC3E-41EA-43A7-B98A-066006E2EA85_zps

My new favourite RBTA and Porcelin Crab

FE1F39E1-7E78-4CDC-B601-80FB2964DE93_zps

FTS from dining room

3FE8401A-3CF3-459B-BE4D-0B4C35A0EDEC_zps

FTS from kitchen

77ECE69A-4AE7-48AE-9BCF-6C663E35A387_zps

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Quick question what is growing on my walls. Looks like snail shells.

Will they become snails eventually or are they just pest snails??

Cichlidrookie

So more bad news. My other clown died, not sure what it was?? The water parameters are fine and he was eating well. I did notice long stringy white poo from him so maybe it was a paresite?? Not too sure just found him stuck to my mp10 in the morning. Boo. Think I am going to wait a while and make sure my system is clear of what ever there was in it before adding other fish.

My Porcelin crab and corals seem to be doing fine. Everything looks good and I am getting some growth from my hammer and frogspawn. I picked up a few more corals. Here are some pics.

Ricordea Yuma

261F63E8-4CF6-47E3-A5CB-C731B6C0C7BE_zps

Still no red filter man those are hard to find......guess I will just have to order one online.

Acan

D860D0E7-AF4A-4DB3-8A23-BDC6F44DEA0B_zps

Purple Duncan

E80700D9-4F53-41DA-B96E-CDF1131DC0D9_zps

New FTS, took out big rock and cut it to make it smaller.

92984357-7AB8-4717-AAF2-6097DB5848C6_zps

6AAD95AD-5530-4258-957B-629E9D90EFC8_zps

Going on vacation soon so not going to add anything soon. Hopefully I can get a couple of sexy shrimp after my vacation.

Thanks for looking.

Cichlidrookie

So look into my tank today and my RBTA had two Porcelin Crabs, what the heck!!! Well then I remembered that shrimp and crabs molt.

Here is a pic.

68EED19B-DD92-41FB-8D79-56A609DB9E5F_zps

Looks like a dead one but it is not. Lucky it was not hiding I would have thought he was dead. Might add another crab they are so cool the way they hang out in and on the anemone.

Does anyone have two in the same tank?

Will they share the anemone?

How do you sex them?

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

So I went on a vacation for 3 weeks and have been slacking with updating this thread.

Everything survived well not everything my plate coral bleached more and I am not sure if it is dead or not. Will try to feed it my PE Mysis and see if it takes.

I also got a new frag and it is doing really well. Will try to post pics up this weekend to show everyone the progress the tank is taking.

So did not get a chance to get a FTS but did get some quick pics of coral.

Here is my GSP and it grew quite a lot.

80BA88AF-BC38-4039-9717-EE8ED582A2EF_zps

Here is my purple duncan, I think it grew a little.

2E1E322E-3CD8-4FF6-B62A-0D427B2B47CE_zps

And here is my newest coral. Octospawn.

9CEFE790-940D-4155-B61C-790D9D10F5B0_zps

Do you think my plate coral is bleaching?? In the first pic you can still see its feelers, not too sure but there is no colour to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a POM POM Crab this weekend, seems to be doing fine in the tank. He only comes out at night and I get to see him once in a while.

Have not taken pics lately but everything is doing fine. Corals are growing, My acan started with 2 heads it has 6 heads now. My euphyllia corals are okay, they seem to go through good and bad days, My hammer will have all 3 head fully open one day and the next only 1 head open. The Octospawn and Frogspawn are both okay but I feel like they could open more.

My CUC are reproducing I now have a couple of baby snails, my hermit crabs are getting bigger and bigger. Don't know what they are going to move into because all the other shells are smaller in the tank.

Thinking of trying to add clown fish again but scared that they will only die. Will think about it this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Cichlidrookie
Sorry for not updating lately....combo of laziness and busyness.

The little nano is doing great. Got a few new corals and all doing well.

Hollywood Stunned did not do so well, I think I placed it in the wrong place and it did not like the flow. It bleached...... frown.gif

New additions:

Pom Pom Crab, have not seen in a while since I added the GSP.
2 ORA Ocellaris Clowns from Canada Corals. Both were doing great until once decided to make the LEAP of faith. Guess I need a mesh screen.
Rock Flower Anemone
Flame Anemone

Corals:

red monti
purple monti
forest fire digi
octospawn
duncan
acans
yumas
GSP

and now some pictures. (all taken with iphone 4s getto)

FTS with blues on.

52EC039A-C4C4-44F9-9D08-E3AB3D89F983_zps

FTS with whites on and my baby in back.

B86E7DAE-DA83-496D-805B-D282110A2A62_zps

Flame BTA

5B342D56-4CF8-4DD0-BCB6-DCE14608B5A7_zps

Rock Flower Anemone

9EEB2212-8453-47C6-8877-D3667CB01C81_zps

Acans

6618A959-B68D-436F-9746-29B5CFC4CC03_zps

SPS

6B91C2AD-166C-4247-8973-5D62FCF7D262_zps

Octospawns

D50EAF60-A26B-4F47-BBFA-20388A879DE4_zps

GSP

C0874BC2-E3D9-48B6-904A-CFF2B71E1800_zps

Hope you enjoyed.
Thanks for reading.
Comments welcome.

Cichlidrookie

Thanks the grass look was what I was going for.

This GSP is growing fast. It has already spread onto my rock. Not like the last piece I had which is a different colour green and slow growing.

Archived