inTank Media Baskets

Cichlidrookie Fluval Spec V Build

Cichlidrookie

Cichlidrookie

Hey Guys

Here is my Fluval Spec V Build. First of all I am new to SW, I have FW tanks now with Cichlids hence the name.

I have a Fluval Spec V now with baby (fry) fish in it from my 120 gal tank. I want to convert this tank into a SW. Here is a pic of the original tank.

9b65c7f8-08a6-4572-b6af-496e35eed6e1_zps

I have upgraded a few things like Mini Jet 606 and a Spin Stream so far. But my biggest and most exciting upgrade for now is my new LED light.

CDFD3244-2537-4EA3-83CD-3738C0A30561_zps

Can anyone help me with setting this thing up? Like photo period, graphs, and settings, etc. Done lots of reading about what other peoples setting are but just curios what other on here are doing.

I plan on growing everything from SPS/LPS/Anemone/Mushrooms.

This is just a start of a GREAT ADVENTURE.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a great light and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I would recommend using the presets on EcoSmart Live. There are so many options that it can be really overwhelming. I control mine with an Apex and am using the Fusion presets, with a few minor tweaks.

Welcome!

PS: That's a great looking FW tank. Can't wait to see what you do with your SW scape!

Cichlidrookie

It's a great light and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I would recommend using the presets on EcoSmart Live. There are so many options that it can be really overwhelming. I control mine with an Apex and am using the Fusion presets, with a few minor tweaks.

Welcome!

PS: That's a great looking FW tank. Can't wait to see what you do with your SW scape!

Cool thanks. I just set it up today. I mounted it to the tank to see what it will look like. It has to go a little off centre because of the sections in the back. I think I will rig something up to mount the RMS with.

Will be taking the cichlids out this weekend so the CYCLE will begin soon.

Any suggestions on type of salt? Reef salt or normal salt.

Have read lots of articles but they all seem to do the same.

I will be mixing with RO/DI water.

Thanks

Not sure what you mean by "normal salt" but I'd stick to stuff specifically formulated for reef tanks. There are tons of threads with people hashing out the "best" salt mix, and shockingly, no one agrees. IO Reef Crystals, Red Sea, any of the big ones should be fine for you.

Awesome tank and build.. "Sweet spin stream". Keep the pictures coming

When it comes to alt everyone has their preference, the levels of all and mag and such differ slightly by brand..I use instant ocean in my.mixed reef with spa, LPs, fish, anemones. But I dose as well

Cichlidrookie

Very fun little tank for sure. I started one up mid February. Check it out if you'd like.http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/359080-sedatedlabmonkeys-spec-v-marine-orbit-led/

Yeah I have read your build thread before. I like the black and white substrate. I almost got the orbits light but decided to go with the ecotech radion for future upgrade purposes.

Will hopefully be getting rid of the cichlids by next weekend n start my cycle just after that. Getting excited.

• 3 weeks later...
Cichlidrookie

So I sold the yellow lab cichlids this weekend.....that means I had money in my pocket and went to the LFS. Dangerous LOL

I have been looking for a refractometer for a while now and I really wanted the Milwaukee Digital one but it costs soo much. So I went into the LFS and there it was. I know they usually go for $200 taxes in so I just asked the guy to scan it. It scanned for $80 SWEET, he told me they were on sale because they are trying to get rid of them. That was an easy decision.

So next step is to get some salt and rocks.

Going to go with Red Sea Coral Pro, a little more expensive then competitors but read good reviews on it.

As for rock I think I am going with CaribSea Life Rock, I like the colour of the rocks and I am hoping it helps with the cycle.

Thinking of just cycling the rock in a bucket for now because I want to do some improvements on Spec V.

Will update with pics soon.

Thanks for following.

p.s. The Radion is awesome....one little problem the RMS will not be centered on the back of the Spec V because of the chambers. Will have to make some sort of stand or something to mount it.

post-87494-0-14933100-1429621548_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Cichlidrookie

So it has been a couple of week since I updated. Nothing special, finally got some rock and I am now getting it ready for the tank. I m cycling it in a bucket. Here is a pic.

73476BCB-0539-4C26-9EC9-A4B1EA9600E2_zps

• 3 weeks later...
Cichlidrookie

Man curing rocks is BORING. It is such a long boring process. Here is some on my water testing I did.

647DFBF3-A1CB-4649-A88B-7B14EE79D2FF_zps

Ammonia: 0.25

Nitrate: between 0 to 5

Nitrite: 0.25

Salinity: 1.028 I know it is high but I have not been topping off with water.

50AECA17-6443-401E-996D-E890D5B48C6D_zps

So I dumped out that water and restarted the process again. I guess it is another 3 to 4 more weeks before I get anything started.

Cichlidrookie

Still up in the air.....

Fish: Pair of clowns

Invertebrates: Anemone (RBTA)

Sexy Shrimp (hope they get along with clowns)

Pom Pom Crab

Corals: Monti (plate and encrusting)

Acans

Trumpet

Ricordia/Yuma

Plate

Hammer

Octospawn

Torch

Xenia

I know you can't add all at once but that is the WISH list for now. We will see when I actually start getting things for the tank and what LFS has.

PathOfDeception

Still up in the air.....

Fish: Pair of clowns

Invertebrates: Anemone (RBTA)

Sexy Shrimp (hope they get along with clowns)

Pom Pom Crab

Corals: Monti (plate and encrusting)

Acans

Trumpet

Ricordia/Yuma

Plate

Hammer

Octospawn

Torch

Xenia

I know you can't add all at once but that is the WISH list for now. We will see when I actually start getting things for the tank and what LFS has.

Nice to see a fellow Canadian on here! Any good reef shops in Brampton?

My xenia recently dies since I added a good skimmer to my tank. I guess the water got "too clean" your mix of sps, aggressive lps and xenia might be too much variety for a 5 gallon tank. But again could be successful as well.

Biggest concern would be a pair of clowns in 5 gallons of water will be a heavy bioload when they grow.

All the best!

• 3 weeks later...
Cichlidrookie

Cycle looks like it is done.

Ammonia: 0

Nitrate: 0

Nitrite: 0

Salinity: 1.026

8F9FBA90-ACB2-48DA-ADDB-C1765DC141D1_zps

So went to LFS and they had Astraea for sale buy 2 for $1.99. Nice.

Will rock scape and post pics of CUC and scape. Might pick up clowns this week.

Cichlidrookie

So finally got some SW into the Spec V.

Did a couple of mods to the thing.

1. Plugged the hole on the bottom

2. DIY Media Basket (will post pics later)

3. Tunze Nano ATO

4. Tetra heater (Cobalt EasyTherm coming soon)

5. Added CUC (2 blue leg hermits, 4 astraea snails)

6. Build stand for Ecotech Radion and RMS

7. Bread box on in the second pics has all the hard ware/plugs, I like the clean look

Here are some pics.

B1CC3E49-575A-4063-8848-401A7E68DBEF_zps

78BE5C02-A7B6-4AB9-BB7B-1258BAEA0E6A_zps

Going to leave the tank bare bottom and see if I like it.

I think I am going to add the clowns this weekend the LFS has Picasso Clowns for $20 each.

Cichlidrookie

Here are some pics of my DIY media rack and the Tunze nano ATO, both in rear chamber.

08941DFC-D8C0-437B-8DAB-2614D261805C_zps

9CD4B044-B3C6-4C46-B1AB-61438B674B19_zps

5630168C-6550-4FE7-B732-82AF611E3899_zps

Also I added my first SW fish this weekend. It was dicey at first because I forgot to plug in my ATO. The salinity was at 1.30 on Saturday morning. Yikes. Took out some water and topped off with FW.

He/she is swimming like a champ now and eating well.

Here are the pic of my fish.

The store said he was a Picasso Percula Clown.

I named him Thor actually my wife did, he does look like he is wearing a white helmet, kind of like Thors.

485DC795-84B1-4479-935E-AB598C541643_zps

933FFA5A-83E5-4A8A-9869-A0E1BB61247D_zps

Sorry for the blurry pic, he will not sit still.

What are you using for your pump? Just the stock one?

I'm starting a Spec V build soon, and I am in a bit of a pickle because of the discontinuation of the Minijet 606 pump which would fit beautifully in the rear chamber.

Cichlidrookie

I was lucky. There was a member on my local forum selling a used mini jet 606 for $10. This was purchased when I first started researching about converting the spec v in SW around Oct 2014.

Cichlidrookie

Yesterday was Canada here so I had the day off and my lfs was open. I picked up a friend for Thor (Picasso Percula). It is Loki (Black Ocellatis). I told the store owner that it was for my new tank and he asked me if I had coral yet. I said no not yet, so he gave me a good deal on a plate coral. I have done research on them before and I have read they are easy corals to start with so I said okay. A section of it looked a little bleached but I like PROJECTS. Plus I read that they can have babies on their dead spots, so I picked him up. I will try to spot feed tonight.

Here are some pics.

FTS

6C293DA1-F91D-4147-92BD-69FF0ADA535F_zps

Clowns

B79DF143-A0EB-4545-8FDD-23D9D40C6B83_zps

Quick question??

How do you know if CLOWNS have PAIRED UP???

Thanks for answers in advanced and for looking.

Cichlidrookie

So I got my second coral this weekend and I have been trying to get a good picture of it. Too lazy to pull out my DSLR so I used iPhone 4s. Man all my pictures are BLUE. So I read up on how to take better pics with iPhone, I guess I will be getting a red gel soon enough or just use a red wrapper from quality street chocolate. Lol. Worth a try I guess. This is the best I could do so far without any filters just some editing on photobucket.

FC4E3F9B-E6E7-44D9-B7DA-1ADECEE35C0E_zps

Can you tell it is a hammer coral? It open up nicely.

I also did a WC.

Will try new pictures with red gel filter once I get it.

Cichlidrookie

So yesterday Thor (Picasso Percula Clown) started swimming on his side at the surface of the water. Here is a pic.

4A5710D7-6C56-46CC-8A57-A74A488B7142_zps

He has done this before but stopped after a day. This morning same thing.

Not sure what is wrong because Loki (Black Ocellaris Clown) is swimming fine.

Is he just a weirdo fish?

I did see them swim around together for a few minutes yesterday but then he went back to swimming on his side.

Should I give him a FW bath?

Not sure if this is "NORMAL". PLEASE HELP.

One more thing I saw this morning was hundreds of little white things, I am pretty sure they are copepods which is a good thing from what I read. CORRECT???

Thanks for your advise in advance.

See what other people say too, but I would wait on the freshwater bath. Clowns are weird fish and what you described is what several of mine do all the time. I would

Imagine yours is more than fine :)

Archived