Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dropped's Reef

dropped

It might seem like it would, but it would just move the waterfall to the first baffle on the far left..

I think that ideally those first baffles would be the same height as you have them now.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Woohoo parts have arrived, time to start building.

05f8289174995ee1e14495a6b8f1654f.jpg

hopefully all of the parts required..

2620fe67d0ecf8074b1ac3f60c22489e.jpg
Drain lines, setup in herbie style, i will add a bit of pipe to the backup drain to raise the water level if i need too.
a9df0e93856a18a26f2beba48e44de47.jpg
Return line, i have actually pulled most of the loc-line off and have only got three segments left with no nozzle.
b22cf46440299955b79117b89f52f66b.jpg
Both return and drains.
0806792019dd7a157bef1f52cdebb2a3.jpg
A shot of the rear both drains on the left and return on the right, no back flow valves yet, will install one later on.
7d191f7c96de3da9088b67abdf0bbc8e.jpg
Drain lines and bracing, yet to be painted.
59eb50e5d78804d9c672d56db6da6bbe.jpg
Return line, with the same bracing.
d7d4fcddd2249304ed60fe11b5d986a7.jpg
Drain lines going into the sump, super quiet!!
f19df4d1770a9f26384cfd72d9b98e6f.jpg
Return pump, i used a piece of silicone pipe to reduce any vibration, which really was not needed as this pump is virtually slient.
985c28d3d8663cdb609ab69f5d6d9a2d.jpg
Full shot of the sump and plumbing, ignore the water level as at this point the pump had just turned on.
e6bea1931a94f243866120bdc9b40e15.jpg
FTS, ignore the light, its not the light ill be using.
acb11779ecde226a0b0420f33d0ce6e9.jpg
Heaps of crud in the water after the build and being in the shed, will be draining it and cleaning everything before salt water goes in.
b12ad8d3f6c3b1b447bccc94b7bf7590.jpg
befdbbde6a80734c37d881e32710203d.jpg
  • Like 1

Looking good! Very clean plumbing- any stocking plans yet?

thank you!

Umm, as this is my very first reef i'm not going to go wild, and have not thought too much about the stocking, but maybe the following.

2 Clowns (the misses wants them)

Goby/shrimp Pair

Fire fish

Im in New Zealand so stocking options maybe restricted to what we get here.

Apart from that, I don't currently know what is too much? can i stock more? or will that be max? i also have not researched if these guys will work together, so will need to do that.

I figure im a month away from putting anything in there apart from sand and rock...

Any input welcome here, im trying to pick between the following lights

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/maxspect-60w-nano-r420r-razor-led-lighting-fixture.html

Razor_Nano_03.jpg

http://www.kessil.com/aquarium/Saltwater_A160_Tuna_Blue.php

Saltwater_A160WE_img01.jpg

Have any of you used either of these lights? or do you have other options i may not have looked at yet?

Any help would be great/

Setup and in place, sitting beside its twin!

f1dfd39a14a62a0234b92bca9ab48eb9.jpg

now to buy an RO/DI system, or even before that i need to test my tap water and see how bad it is.

2e1cfa75ee5bd3f837962bb9b0429f55.jpg

For that size tank, I would go with the Razor. It gives it the extra kick since in the end, the kessil is still only a 40 watt light. A kessil 360 on the other hand word work really well but obviously that's more expensive.

tanked_kiwi

Looks like you're off to a great start, very clean indeed. Where abouts in NZ are you? I had a feeling you might be from around here after you asked where I get my livestock

• Like 1

Looks like you're off to a great start, very clean indeed. Where abouts in NZ are you? I had a feeling you might be from around here after you asked where I get my livestock

From Auckland, just up the hill from you B)

yea live stock is proving difficult to find what i want, im going to hit up those facebook groups now.

d2d3d83397b29e732b9da655a433f1c6.jpg
Now trying to choose a scape, any ideas or comments on this scape?
  • Like 1
tanked_kiwi

From Auckland, just up the hill from you B)

yea live stock is proving difficult to find what i want, im going to hit up those facebook groups now.d2d3d83397b29e732b9da655a433f1c6.jpg

Now trying to choose a scape, any ideas or comments on this scape?

Haha, you mean up the hill and across the bridge?

Scape looks good to me, just make sure you're dead happy with it or able to change it. I glued all my rock together cos of the earthquakes, I kinda don't like it much anymore but I can't change it.

Heres the link to that other page https://www.facebook.com/groups/136174609876932/

What are you looking for? Fish or corals? We have a LFS down here with an awesome selection of fish, money back guarantee on shipping them too. Think you've got a few sellers of quality corals up there, check out Sam Nelsons frags on that page.

Haha yea just up over the bridge...

i think ill play with the scape while its cycling, guessing i can move the rock around without too many issues.

All most gave up on setting this tank up mainly due to cost, im 1400 NZD in and have at least that to go... and thats not counting live stock

328734c93c54db14b8e0a613e5c70068.jpg

After seeing the scape complete, im pretty keen to see it up and going!!

f98eccb3b6cd6f19d13543195c5a67eb.jpg

f72abb037278dd74b479256fee4ef3b1.jpg

will run the fresh water in there for 24 hours with the power head going to make sure all of the crap is out of the rock, then drain dry and fill with salt water

• Like 3
tanked_kiwi

Don't give up, I think that scape looks great. If your freshwater tank is anything to go by, this reef will be a stunner. Keep it up.

Have you decided on lighting yet?

• Like 1

Don't give up, I think that scape looks great. If your freshwater tank is anything to go by, this reef will be a stunner. Keep it up.

Have you decided on lighting yet?

No have not decided on lighting yet, so will be going fish only for the first two months or so until i can recover from what i have spent today.....

Picked up a 4 stage RODI unit

DC300 Skimmer

TDS tester

refractometer

there goes 800 + bucks lol

so yea, need to recover for a bit....

I agree, I really like the scape. Also looks like it will give you a lot of places to put corals.

Thanks mate, second attempted ... i guess this one will stay.

• Like 1
tanked_kiwi

No have not decided on lighting yet, so will be going fish only for the first two months or so until i can recover from what i have spent today.....

DC300 Skimmer

TDS tester

refractometer

Yea I know the feeling. But it'll pass. You don't need good light for the cycle anyway.

Where did you get your rodi unit?

these tanks are each 24" wide right?

You should have Dave at nanobox make you a 48" light with half the pucks for the freshwater and half for the reef. That would be super clean to have one bar hanging over both tanks.

• Like 2

DC300 Skimmer

TDS tester

refractometer

Thanks mate, second attempted ... i guess this one will stay.

You spent $800 on that?!?!?!? The skimmer is $150, TDS meter should onlly be $20, refractometer is $20-30, and RODI unit $150.

I'm in new Zealand so prices's are not the same.

dc300 was about 200
tds was 15
meter was 50
rodi, which i have not paid for yet is about 500 for a 4 stage, with dual tds and auto shut off.

so that's 765nzd, about 550 usd
i have not been able to find a cheap RO/DI unit in New Zealand, so feel free to point one out..

these tanks are each 24" wide right?

You should have Dave at nanobox make you a 48" light with half the pucks for the freshwater and half for the reef. That would be super clean to have one bar hanging over both tanks.

in theory that would be awesome! but i would need to control each side separately and i'm not sure if that's possible.

tanked_kiwi

You won't find a cheap rodi unit in NZ, because well its NZ. Alot of reefers here have imported their rodi units, you could still do this if you haven't paid for it yet, though I guess it depends how fast you need it.