Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dropped's Reef

dropped

I just read through your whole thread. You've done an excellent job on this tank, I'm especially impressed by how much you've done yourself. Keep up the great work, the tank looks really good.

• Like 1

A couple of weeks ago I had a heater fail in the off position, no big deal my apex alerted me and I was able to replace the heater quick enough that I didn’t lose too much coral.

Having an apex I thought, instead of buying another Eheim worth $80 id buy some cheaper heaters and let the apex turn them off and on. I ended up buying two Jebo Aqua Heater 200W rated for 200L each, now this was to replace a single 150Wat Eheim heater rated at 300L max.

Not only did the two Jebo heaters consume far more power, which makes sense, they failed at keeping the tank at a stable temperature. I ended up setting the heaters to come on in a staged fashion to see if this would heap.

Heater 1 turned on at 25.5 and turned off at 25.8

Heater 2 turned on at 24.0 and turned off at 25.8

This arrangement did nothing to keep temp stable, in fact it was worse!

I found that my old failed heater was still under warranty and had it replaced, as soon as put the heater back in the tank to replace the jebo heaters the results were instant, Stable temp!!

Have a look at this graph, it’s pretty easy to see where the heater was changed back to a quality heater.

Don’t buy cheap heaters!

Cheap%20heaters.png

Here is the amp, peak power draw is much lower now and its consistent.

Cheapheaterpower.png

• Like 2

Ok both new corals are in the tank, shipping wasnt the best and im sure some tips are bleaching which isnt cool.

Do i snip the bleached bits to stop the spread?

So I'm currently have nitrate and phosphate issues.... i don't really have enough of them.

Nitrate 0

Phosphate 0

After a heavy feeding i can get phosphate to 0.7 but its gone the next day, is this normal?

So I'm currently have nitrate and phosphate issues.... i don't really have enough of them.

Nitrate 0

Phosphate 0

After a heavy feeding i can get phosphate to 0.7 but its gone the next day, is this normal?

Your corals are probably using that up and your skimming so i'd say it's probably normal. Are you using any chems? You could feed more and cut back on skimming a little if you think you need more of a constant reading. But that in itself can come with it's own set of problems. Ive been reading alot lately about people who only part time skim. I decided not to do it because it wreaks havok in my AIO with water levels which screws up my ATO and causes salinity swings, but you may want to read up on it.

• Like 1

Yea after a bit of thinking, I think I have my answer.

I forgot that I replaced my GFO a month ago, so this could still be doing its job. I also have quite a lot of cheato, which I assume is doing something, but from what I read it should not work this well.

So I'll ditch the GFO and keep testing, if I see the same results I'll ditch the Cheato as well and use nopox to control nitrate and phosphate.

The reason behind the nopox is I have GHA that won't Bugger off so I know something is fueling its growth.

myarmolich

Something new on the way, just going to leave these here for now..

F587D536-B051-4486-9047-62BD99A699E7.jpg

26D15365-8F73-42CA-AECE-6EF4A48BB7E0.png

10/10 love 2x4s haha. Good job with the progression of your tank man. I took a long break from this site because of college and its been really cool to see the growth and development of your reef

• Like 2

10/10 love 2x4s haha. Good job with the progression of your tank man. I took a long break from this site because of college and its been really cool to see the growth and development of your reef

Thanks mate, hopefully the new tank comes soon.

• Like 1

I've had a few issues with the tank and ALK over the past couple weeks. ALK got as high as 10dkh from 8, so quiet a large jump. It has taken a two weeks to bring ALK back down to 8.3-6 (testing daily.)

This has also had an impact on a few SPS, which isnt ideal. Most colour is gone and ive had a little bit of bleaching. Taking to colony's with side cutters is not my favourite game to play when its taken so long to get them to the size they are.

With these issues i'm super hesitant to continue on with the tank upgrade, however the new 90 gallon tank has been ordered and should be here in two weeks.

The plan is to fill the 90 with 60 gallons of NSW and then transfer all the water and corals over to the new tank along with the sump from the 30 gallon, this is in hopes that i wont have a cycle as all the rock and sump should be enough (I hope) to stop a cycle. i have no sand so there will be no detritus mixed up to cause a cycle either.

Ive also noticed a fine white fur growing on all of my rocks, i think this is the start of a GHA out break so ill have to start running GFO again. untill recently this tank has been so stable and algae free! now i dont know whats going on haha. Maybe ive just reached the limits of this tank and im asking to much of a 30 gallon....

• Like 2

The 90 will be sweet! Are you running a doser? How much alk. are you adding daily?

Yip running a jebao dp4

A couple of weeks ago it was dosing 30 ml per day, i then dropped it down to 17 ml per day as the DKH was still going up. Ive just tested ALK now and its dropped to 7.3 dkh.... so upped alk to 20ml per day.

Will just keep testing everyday with the Hanna checker.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Elizabeth94

You have an impressive tanm for sure. I cant wait to see what you can do with the new build!

How do you feel about the having the bta with this size tank and all those sps? I want one, but at the same time I dont like the idea of it moving around and stinging sps.

• Like 1

You have an impressive tanm for sure. I cant wait to see what you can do with the new build!

How do you feel about the having the bta with this size tank and all those sps? I want one, but at the same time I dont like the idea of it moving around and stinging sps.

Thanks for the compliment!

To be honest the bta has not move since I first put it in a year ago. In saying that It did go through the power head on the first night. I know as soon as I put the bta in the new tank he will walk everywhere and kill all my sps hahah.

If my clowns did not constantly host it I think I may have sold it by now. Plus I could not get it out of the rock it's in even if I wanted too.

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Yeah.. btas and power heads are no good. I bought a foam cover for my mp10s just incase I decide to pick one up. But its not like I can move it around the tank. Ill need to move the corals out of its way until it finds a spot it likes. Maybe its not worth it in such a small tank.

• Like 1

Nice! omgomgomg Have you started a new thread yet?

Not yet, im away for the next week so ill take that time to order a few things i need before starting a new thread.

its way bigger than my last tank thats for sure!!!

• Like 1

Had an Oh F&^K moment today.

I have been away for the last 6 days so came home and completed all my normal tests, alk, Cal, Phos and Mg. Mg was low so i dosed 30ML of Red Sea C additive, all good.

Then as i was just doing my water change today i realized that the bottle i picked up was NoPox and not Mg, OH F*&K!

So im ready for a total tank crash......... as that was 30 times the daily recommended dose.

I can't like that post :(

Put in fresh carbon and make sure your skimmer is running well, as the most likely result will be a bacterial bloom.

Also, do several water changes, as much as you can, of course. Good luck!

Also, if you can aerate the water, that might help, since the bacteria may suck up all the oxygen.

• Like 2

I neglected to mention its been 30 or so hours. So i think the damage is done. In saying that... everything looks OK.

Thinking back, i think i used NoPox instead of Mg last week.... (i have now moved the NoPox to the other side of the house.)

This is what happens when you play with your tank on no sleep after traveling all night....

Just read the label on the NoPox bottle and it was 10 times the dose.

3ML per 100 Liters. Not the 1ML like i was thinking.

• Like 1