Innovative Marine Aquariums

Matching Newly Mixed SW to Tank

LebaneseDlight

LebaneseDlight

My Dkh stays consistently at 7.0 and my PH between 8.0-8.2 in the display. These always test the same (I test at night, same time). Today, I tested my newly mixed SW (same SW I've been using since tank setup 3 months ago, Brightwell NeoMarine). It was Ph 8.4 and DkH 9.0. Perhaps I need to let it age longer (two hours so far) in order for the Ph to stabilize. But DkH won't change during aging, right? My question is, should I increase my display water gradually, or should I somehow lower newly mixed SW, or should I get a different salt?

I'm afraid to do a water change now, I don't want to piss off my SPS frags :/

I don't currently dose, just weekly 20% WC, but I purchased a two part and magnesium (waiting on my Mg and Ca tests to come in before dosing anything).

Why did I delve into this crazy world of SPS? So skirry!

Marc.The.Shark

At 20% WC, you're only gonna drive up Alk by at most .5, so around 7.5. pH increase will be negligible as well, I wouldn't worry about it, it'll b fine. What you want to do is figure out how much you're corals are using daily by testing when you get the kits & then dose up daily to around what you're salt mix is. 7 is about as low as you want it to get. 9 is a good target, as your salt mixes to.

LebaneseDlight

I did think that if I'm not dosing, then my new SW should have higher DkH and Ca. How else would I be replenishing my elements, right? But what I've been reading is for SPS, the new water should be as close to the params of the display water. But I do of course understand that 9x.2 + 7x.8 = 7.4. I guess if I kept my DkH at 9.0 then my new water would be a match, and it seems like 9.0 DhK is a good number to strive for.

Marc.The.Shark

As long as you don't have very picky SPS, you'll be fine. I use RSCP salt and my Alk usually swings by close to 1.0 during water change. I have some less demanding SPS (Monti Digi, Bird of Paradise, psammocora, etc). I haven't had to use a 2-part as my Ca & Mg are usually elevated because of the salt mix. Only thing I dose for is Alk with Arm & Hammer every few days to keep that stable.

LebaneseDlight

Thanks, Marc. I do have some sensitive SPS frags. Various Acros (stag, tenuis, etc.) and some less sensitive montis/birdsnest/etc. Maybe I should be doing two biweekly 10% WCs instead of a weekly 20% until I can get the WC water to match more closely with the display water?

CronicReefer

Thanks, Marc. I do have some sensitive SPS frags. Various Acros (stag, tenuis, etc.) and some less sensitive montis/birdsnest/etc. Maybe I should be doing two biweekly 10% WCs instead of a weekly 20% until I can get the WC water to match more closely with the display water?

I really wouldn't be too worried about a swing of 0.4 dKH from a water change. It would be nice if you could match it exactly but this is not always possible. The biweekly will keep the swings from being as much but it is up to you if you wish to perform that maintenance.

LebaneseDlight

Thanks guys. I wonder why my DhK has ALWAYS been at 7.0? Even before my recent coral purchase, I had no corals and the tank was set up for 3 months. Perhaps the coraline algae was using some up? My bigger concern is my salt might not be right. I guess I should search for some more reviews of Brightwell NeoMarine.

Cool - off to do a water change now ;)

Archived